Sign in to follow this  
Doug T

IPE question

Question

What should an IPE deck look like before staining ? We bought a new house last year. Deck is 4 years old IPE. I don't know if it was ever stained or not.

It was gray and I attempted to clean it. When wet, it looks a nice dark red, after it dries its brown. When wet and looking red it is not an even color, some blotches. Does it need more cleaning/stripping ? If so with what? F18 ok?

13 answers to this question

Doug, that is normal. After the initial instillation of Ipe it will loose it's color at the surface(about a year) and look dark when wet. You have to use mechanical means to achieve other results.

What should an IPE deck look like before staining ? We bought a new house last year. Deck is 4 years old IPE. I don't know if it was ever stained or not.

It was gray and I attempted to clean it. When wet, it looks a nice dark red, after it dries its brown. When wet and looking red it is not an even color, some blotches. Does it need more cleaning/stripping ? If so with what? F18 ok?

Doug,

2 pictures of a 3 yr. old small ipe' deck prepped and ready for staining. Of course the wood is dry, do not have any pictures of a prepped wet ipe' deck.

Here some before and after shots of an ipe deck that is prepped for staining. This one is still on our completion list but you'll get an idea what ipe looks like after it has been stripped of stain and acid balanced.

OK thanks for the help.

Mine is darker than the dry one that Petry showed, when wet it is not as "rich" and clear as the one Celeste showed.

So I'm thinking it neds to be cleaned and stripped better. I'll try that with some F18 that I have.

I'll try to post pics when I get my cable. Mfg says 7-10 days to get it. Their warehouse is about 1hr 15 min from here but they won't allow me to pick it up. But it was a free camera from the Alabama rt so can't complain.

I know there was a reason I never wanted to do wood before. LOL. Its a good learning experience, my own deck, no hurry do it as I can.

Here some before and after shots of an ipe deck that is prepped for staining. This one is still on our completion list but you'll get an idea what ipe looks like after it has been stripped of stain and acid balanced.

What did you use to strip and how long did it take you?

What did you use to strip and how long did it take you?

Scott, I am pretty sure this one was done after I received those drums so I would have to say your DS stripper was used. I'll check the time logs but I believe it took about 2 hrs with two 5 gpm guns. There is more than meets the eye as this deck has lattice underneath that top tier as well as under the whole deck. Some sections of lattice are 8+ ft high. I'll post a pic from the front of the deck.

Edited by PressurePros