Sign in to follow this  
Tegrey

Attacking the Village Idiot?

Question

I have been watching about six different BBS for the last 5+ years. All different and most very helpful. The knowledge and dedication of some is amazing. People dedicated to growing their business and helping others. What we want to accomplish on the ***** and all sites.

One negative thought:

Why do people spend so much time attacking others? I see post after post, condeming the LOW BALLER, village idiot, on and on. Some people spend most of their valuable time posting negative thoughts and info about others. If I spent 1 hr. a week posting, that is 50+ hrs. of information per year. If you make $20. / hr. thats $1,000. of your time. Some go on as to make up ficticious characters, videos and songs about these folks. Amazing how much time is crapped away on some one we don't know. '

Now on the other hand, if you spent the same time sharing positive ideas and growing your business, you'd probably make a lot more then the $1,000. Also gaining knowledge and fresh ideas.

What is the benefit of attacking others? What is the benefit of growing our businesses? You only have so many hrs. to live on this earth. Wouldn't it be better to do it making someone else and yourself better?

Just a thought.

8 answers to this question

I agree with what you are saying Terry...to a degree. However, sometimes people do need to be rebuked and their methods brought to light if they are wrong. Meaningless arguing is ridiculous especially over the internet, but if somebody has a legitimate complaint I think it is constructive to complain. Wouldn't you agree with that?

INteresting thought, but if I was only making $20 an hour, I would go get a regular job.

You are right though. There is too much negativity and too many people that feel that they need to ask questions and then castigate everyone that does not join their proper choir. From what I have seen, everyone on here has something to contribute. It might not be what they think that they have to contribute, but it is something that everyone can learn from.

The Internet is made up of a diverse group of individuals and characters. Some use it for information , some for amusement and some for both. I just got 3 jobs all Attorney's and Ipe over the phone. Because of my conversations on the boards with Ken and Russel. These where funny phone calls. I might have to pick up the pace on my constructive criticism . Good for Marketing!!!!

Edited by James

Thank you all for the response. My comments were to open up eyes on how we waste time. Time which could be used for growing our company, doing estimates, gaining information and networking. I don't have a problem with adding how we got beat out of a job by money or the lack there of. We all started working for less then we charge now. Our experience came with time and actually doing the job. Some people will never improve or grwo their businesses. I learned a lot from other contractors in the PDCA. They shared everything and we grew. The same as here and other BBS, If I don't see Value in a post, I'm gone. Reading about Billy BoB, getting drunk and showing the "lowballers" errors doesn't improve my business. It bothers me to see the person who maybe a few years ago, knocking the very existance they started in. They were the "lowballer " then, and only grew from the post of intelligent contractors posting intelligent information.

Please don't take me as a DUD. I am happily married, have a great family, party with the best of them, not as often as 20 years ago, and enjoy a good time. I guess I look at the post as a way to learn and share. Thus growing our business. I don't have any bad feelings for anyone. Our time is spent as we feel we need to.

HotShot, Totally agree with constructive criticism. I do it daily with my employees.

MMI, We are busy. Right on, knowing your enemies is a great start.

Scott, Now the cost is $50,000 wasted! LOL Too much for me.