Sign in to follow this  
fireandrain

Another GRUESOME Acrylic Strip! Good Times.

Question

Man, I never should have said that "I never see acrylics out here anymore"! In the last week I have seen two already! Ughhh.

Anyways, I promised this prospective client a quote in the next day or two, and I'm really scratching my head as to whats going to be involved in getting these redwood decks back from the acrylic graveyard! Ive attached a few pictures, the HO said that he had his deck "done" (done in more like) "recently" and thats all he could tell me. I told him that he needs to be prepared for some serious work on the strip work but that,with the right sealer, he'll be in better shape in the future.

Am I right in guessing that this is an acrylic? I realize that we are all in mostly different markets that define our pricing structures, but I would love it if a few of you might chime in on what you would bid on this project. That would be helpful. Oh, and I plan on forwarding some of Rafal's recent acrylic strip pics in order to give the HO a better idea of what we will be up against...

13 answers to this question

Was gonna say does that deck really need redone..that is until I seen the blotch of the last pic.

Might clean up ok with some bleach swell enough to recoat with same product though. Seems intact from where I am sitting.

On other hand, Well if he willing to pay then give him bare wood again.

That is deffinately a $2.5+ per sq. acrylic deck mang!!

BTW..Is that guy the modeling agency guy?? :)

Was gonna say does that deck really need redone..that is until I seen the blotch of the last pic.

Might clean up ok with some bleach swell enough to recoat with same product though. Seems intact from where I am sitting.

On other hand, Well if he willing to pay then give him bare wood again.

That is deffinately a $2.5+ per sq. acrylic deck mang!!

BTW..Is that guy the modeling agency guy?? :)

I was right there with you. Looks pretty good until the last picture. That is a big deck and a lot of work. Price it right or you will be swearing at yourself all the way through...

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. The homeowner said his main concern was getting a stain on the deck around the pool that will hold up against chlorine and constant kid traffic. Im thinking that acrylic would be the WORST choice considering its tendency to peel and scratch. It's really amazing how these homeowners with huge gorgeous decks rarely seem to ask their 'deck guy' what he intends on staining the deck with. I mean, this guy seems bent on getting the old stuff off and better finish back on. Not sure how he's going to feel when he sees my quote on the strip job! With all of those plants around the deck and the pool right up against the decking thats gonna be stripped....man, I just don't know what to say... This may have to fall into the category of 'price it so high as to pass it by... Dunno.

Yea your not even showing us down by the pool.. what it look like?.. Acrylic shouldn't have problem with scratch persay due to the type of soft foot traffic. But the water getting up underneith causing delamination or clouding could be nightmare. Chlorine levels usually low enough to not cause too much issue on the exterior acrylics. Cementous pool decking is often done with acrylic.

Hey you know if this was another one of them deals where the painter knew best?

... This may have to fall into the category of 'price it so high as to pass it by... Dunno.

Matt,

I would be real careful on this job before quoting a price. At minimum, test out some hot stripper mixes to see if you can remove most of that old acrylic without sanding for days.

Since he just had it done Ill betcha hes not gonna go for the job if it costs him a pretty penny. That deck will awfully fine to him compared to a 10grand restoration cost

Matt,

I would be real careful on this job before quoting a price. At minimum, test out some hot stripper mixes to see if you can remove most of that old acrylic without sanding for days.

Wise words. Thanks.

Since he just had it done Ill betcha hes not gonna go for the job if it costs him a pretty penny. That deck will awfully fine to him compared to a 10grand restoration cost

My thoughts exactly Charlie. I just sent him a long-winded informational email which explained the need to remove the existing finish. Strange how some folks need that one explained... $10K,eh? Wouldnt be surprised at all. I

Matt,

I could vouch for that. Matt, that last acrylic job I did required alot of sanding. If the rails are covered in acrylic as well it may be cheaper to just replace them. Luckily my last job did not have acrylic on all of the rails, just one section. Even with two coats of boosted hd there were many resilient spots which needed to be sanded. BTW, your message inbox is full and I could not respond to your previous messages. Good luck with the bids!

Hey thanks Rafal, I emailed the HO your pics yesterday. Cheers for letting me know about my PM box. Ill get that cleaned out a bit. Im getting pretty flooded with bids this week, new round of advertising went out on Monday. Im leaning on pricing this monster in the $10K territory. Probably won't end of working it, cant imagine why a guy would want to pay...well, what Charlie said. If I get some time over the weekend, I'll do a bit of testing and see what gives. Bottom line, I think Im really too busy to tackle this one. On the other hand, that other Acrylic strip from a few days back ( with the 1x2 redwood flooring) came through and Ill be starting in3 weeks when the HO is in Europe. Yum yum yum! Cant wait to get acrylic!

I could vouch for that. Matt, that last acrylic job I did required alot of sanding. If the rails are covered in acrylic as well it may be cheaper to just replace them. Luckily my last job did not have acrylic on all of the rails, just one section. Even with two coats of boosted hd there were many resilient spots which needed to be sanded. BTW, your message inbox is full and I could not respond to your previous messages. Good luck with the bids!

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. The homeowner said his main concern was getting a stain on the deck around the pool that will hold up against chlorine and constant kid traffic. Im thinking that acrylic would be the WORST choice considering its tendency to peel and scratch. It's really amazing how these homeowners with huge gorgeous decks rarely seem to ask their 'deck guy' what he intends on staining the deck with. quote]

the majority of HOs wouldnt know an acrylic from a sylicone from a semi. They take what ever the guy offers that is the cheapest, until they have to pay to get the first one off. (or to get many coats of different stuff off.)

All the local deck builders here seal their own decks if asked and use acrylic. One I re did was sealed right after building it while the wood was still wet and green with SpaNDeck. The remainder of my copetition is painters. ("Oh yeah, Mr HO, I can seal your deck. Let me take some of this extra house paint and make it the same color.")

Use Bix or Klean stripper . Use a roller to apply . 6x6 areas at a time . For the rails , only strip the top rail and use an oil base wood primer and a good paint ( Duration ) on the spindles, 2x4s and posts .

Good contrast .

Charge by the day or hour.