Sign in to follow this  
Lateralus

Good backpack sprayer?

Question

I'm looking to go to a backpack sprayer but so far, all of the ones I've looked at online or in stores do not seem to be designed for decks / harsh chemicals. I'd like something I can use for stripper and cleaner / brightener. Being able to use it to apply stains would be a plus as well. Anyone have a recommendation? Thanks! :)

15 answers to this question

My advice would be to stay away from a back pack sprayer in this business. They always end up leaking and can cause serious burns on your back and aZZ.

I agree with Lance. Stick with a pump up for stripper until your ready to step up to a deckster. I'll take it a step further, get a deckster! Best investment I've made.

Lateralus,

I disagree with the other comments. We have a backpack sprayer, have used it for 6 or 7 years. The make is RL Flowmaster, Pro model, and it has served us well.

While Shurflo or Delavan 12 volt pumps are wonderful and we use them almost daily, a manual backpack sprayer has its place. First and foremost, a backpack serves as a backup. 12 volt pumps, especially Delavans, have a tendency to die suddenly.

Second, if you use sodium percarbonate based wood cleaners, electric pumps tend to choke due to the off gassing. Until the mix cools, a backpack unit can be used.

Third, for small jobs, backpacks are ideal. No need to drag out the electric pump units. Backpacks are easier and quicker to clean out.

I do agree with others that backpacks should not be used for NaOH strippers. They do have a tendency to leak at times.

Lateralus,

I disagree with the other comments. We have a backpack sprayer, have used it for 6 or 7 years. The make is RL Flowmaster, Pro model, and it has served us well.

While Shurflo or Delavan 12 volt pumps are wonderful and we use them almost daily, a manual backpack sprayer has its place. First and foremost, a backpack serves as a backup. 12 volt pumps, especially Delavans, have a tendency to die suddenly.

Second, if you use sodium percarbonate based wood cleaners, electric pumps tend to choke due to the off gassing. Until the mix cools, a backpack unit can be used.

Third, for small jobs, backpacks are ideal. No need to drag out the electric pump units. Backpacks are easier and quicker to clean out.

I do agree with others that backpacks should not be used for NaOH strippers. They do have a tendency to leak at times.

My question would be why not just use a quality hand held pump up instead of the back pack sprayer?

Not only for the issue of leaking, but I find it far more efficient, and less cumbersome to refill, clean, and carry a hand held sprayer.

I use modified handheld pump ups all the time when I need a strong dose of chlorine, or for spraying oxalic.

My question would be why not just use a quality hand held pump up instead of the back pack sprayer?

Lance,

Much easier to use. Instead of lugging a jug around in one hand and spraying with the other, the weight is on your back.

You also do not have to stop spaying to pump up. The backpack units have a lever pump arm for your left hand that you continuously use so spraying never stops. Way faster.

Interesting. I was not aware that the deckster can be used for applying NaOH. I spoke with Bob over at pressuretek and he recommended the Delevan setup. I feel that using a pump sprayer is just too time consuming. Only concern I have with the Delevan is control. For those of you who use it, does it spray crazily leaving no room for error?

OMG!!! I cant believe that people are still using these arcaic pump ups, backpack or otherwise. DOWNSTREAM YOUR CHEMS FOR THE 10000000000000000000000000TH TIME PEOPLE.

You will save a ton of time, wages & money by doing this. I have been downstreaming deck chems for 5 years now and will never revert back to anything else. This method will kill a deckster easily.

Someone please hand me a folding chair so that I can bludgeon myself with it.

(Disclaimer - I have a very sarcastic way of making my point, so please dont be offended)

OMG!!! I cant believe that people are still using these arcaic pump ups, backpack or otherwise. DOWNSTREAM YOUR CHEMS FOR THE 10000000000000000000000000TH TIME PEOPLE.

You will save a ton of time, wages & money by doing this. I have been downstreaming deck chems for 5 years now and will never revert back to anything else. This method will kill a deckster easily.

(Disclaimer - I have a very sarcastic way of making my point, so please dont be offended)

Where have you been? It's about time you showed your smiling face and shared your sense of humor....;)

Do you want a metal chair or a wood one?

Beth :cup:

Where have you been? It's about time you showed your smiling face and shared your sense of humor....;)

Do you want a metal chair or a wood one?

Beth :cup:

How about a Lazy Boy recliner?

Are you using "downstream-able" brightener and stripper or what?

Jarrod,

Instead of just pointing everyone towards Scott, how about some real info on your downstream setup. I also downstream my chems, but find that many times I end up pulling the chemical line from the truck to apply hotter mixes with a shurflo. This doesn't save time. Therefore, I'm looking for a better downstream %. My questions are:

1- describe your injector. (hi-draw, dual, etc...)?

2- do you meter your chem mixes for easy/hard strip jobs?

3- single or dual lance wand?

You should also point out that downstreaming chems on decks is not a method for novices or beginners. This form of application requires careful user control to avoid wild oversprays. Pump-up sprayers teach people about chem strength and control, so they do have their place. If your doing decks more than part time, look at the downstream method. I do love the ability to rinse immediately if necessary, but would like hotter mixes coming out at the gun.

Call Scott @ The Sealer Store. He will explain these things. I'm not a dealer.

I will say this though -

I use both a High Draw & a Super Suds Sucker for DS'ers.

I DS 90% of my decks b/c they are stained with oil based stains.

On the rare occasion, like today, I will apply HD80 with a Delevan. I charge double for this.

In 8 years, I have never killed a plant.

DS'ing is for everyone, beginner or expert.