Sign in to follow this  
Elyse

'lap' marks on ipe deck

Question

2 years ago I pressure washed my ipe deck to get rid of tons of mildew that had accumulated (deck is on the north side of the house). While the mildew came off, so did the finish on the deck in some spots, as I didn't pressure wash evenly across the whole deck surface. How do I restore a uniform finish to my deck? Should I try pressure washing again? Please don't tell me I need to sand it, as the deck is about 600 sq ft. It's a beautiful deck, but I feel like I ruined it and will never have my old deck back.

I had always used Penofin on the deck to keep it looking dark so it wouldn't grey.

I can't stand looking at it like this. Please help!!!

8 answers to this question

Your problem came from using a pressure washer to remove the mildew instead of a good cleaner to do the hard work. Too much pressure caused wand marks where you stopped and started

Your best shot is going to be removing the old finish or sanding. Chances are if you remove the finish you probably should still sand anyway

... Please don't tell me I need to sand it, as the deck is about 600 sq ft. ...

If you are really determined to do this yourself or with hubby, buy a set of knee pads, a random orbital sander, and 60 grit paper.

We all do this a lot. It is not that hard. I'm 55 and sore every day. Don't complain, you have terrific wood and think it is easy?

I had always used Penofin on the deck to keep it looking dark so it wouldn't grey.

I can't stand looking at it like this. Please help!!!

Hire a qualified contractor.

This pic is part of a 3500 square foot wrap around deck, and I sanded every square inch in two days. Sanding 600 square feet with the right tools will be cake. If it were mine I would strip it, neutralize it, sand it, and stain it with Wood Tux.

post-1620-137772208781_thumb.jpg

How would you suggest I sand this huge deck? I'd like to save $ and try to do it myself, but I'm not sure what to use to do the job.

Try the "search" feature on this site. Reading is also helpful.