Sign in to follow this  
gt2003

Deck cleaning and brightening

Question

Does anyone know if Ken has RAD steps 1 and 2 available for shipment? I know he's having a tough time with his other stuff but thought I'd check on the RAD. Hope things are going OK for the fella, I'm kinda worried about him.

Let me know if anyone has talked to him and how things are progressing. Take care, Greg

15 answers to this question

Ken has his own washing and staining business that is going like mad for him - from what I have heard and what he has told me - he has had a lot on his plate this year. As well, he and his supplier could no longer do business with each other. From what I know about Ken - he will eventually get all his products back online - but he will make darn sure that there will be an absolute and unequivocal level of service and quality when he does, and will not start back until he has a 110% guarantee of that.

If you want my opinion, his supplier wanted to be on the 'retailer' end of the action as well. I and many others believe this to be an insane train of thought. And this desire to be also selling on the retail end of things brings about, in my opinion, a certain conflict of interests which can never end well. I believe Ken will not bring back his product line, until he has suppliers that want nothing to do with anything but being 'suppliers'. No more drama, no more headaches, no more personality issues - just honest to goodness business folks.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on the business end - only two really know. Assumptions should not be made. Besides, Indian Ocean in July, the Bellagio in Vegas in August and Myrtle Beach in September is a schedule I'd like to be plagued with.

Greg - In my last conversation with Ken, he was stocked with RAD 1 & 2 but whether he is shipping or not, I do not know. I do know that you can get EFC-38 & Citralic from either Scott @ the Sealer Store or from the Woodrich Brand site.

Celeste

Thanks Celeste and everyone else. I guess the EFC-38 & Citralic would be an adequate substiture for RAD 1 and 2? Just curious as I sure don't want to get stuck with an inferior product or a box store type product.

Once I have completed the cleaning/brightening process, what sealer would be recommended for a pressure treated pine deck? I was wanting to try Ken's new soft wood product but it looks like it might be a while.

Thanks again, just want to get things straight before I dive in.

Thanks Celeste and everyone else. I guess the EFC-38 & Citralic would be an adequate substiture for RAD 1 and 2? Just curious as I sure don't want to get stuck with an inferior product or a box store type product.

Once I have completed the cleaning/brightening process, what sealer would be recommended for a pressure treated pine deck? I was wanting to try Ken's new soft wood product but it looks like it might be a while.

Thanks again, just want to get things straight before I dive in.

EFC-38 and Citralic will do exactly the same thing...

We do not use RAD on the decks we do, but we do use EFC & Citralic.

Beth

EFC-38 and Citralic will do exactly the same thing...

We do not use RAD on the decks we do, but we do use EFC & Citralic.

Beth

Beth,

Are not RAD and EFC-38/Citralic one and the same except for marketer and distributor?

That's what I needed to know. I appreciate the help.

It's a pressure treated deck and after reading the threads I'm considering use of a armstrong-clark semi-transparent product after cleaning/brightening. Any other recommendations?

Greg,

Armstrong-Clark seems to be a very good product and a good choice for a DIY'er. Due to the linseed content, it can "lap". Just make sure to brush it on evenly.

Greg,

Armstrong-Clark seems to be a very good product and a good choice for a DIY'er. Due to the linseed content, it can "lap". Just make sure to brush it on evenly.

I'll be using my Wagner sprayer with the stain tip if that matters. Would the sealer stores Timber Oil be a better choice? I'm re-doing a deck that is about 8 yrs old that has pressure treated pine with a faded, failed finish of semi-transparent olympic stain I believe. The deck is pretty dry so I need something to bring the life back to it. Any recommendations are welcome.

Thanks, Greg

Edited by gt2003

Timber Oil would be a great choice for you. Very easy to apply, you wouldn't have any problem applying it. It and Ready Seal are two of the best stains for ease of application and restoring old wood. Armstrong Clark would be my choice, but you will need to backbrush some with it. But it's still very easy to apply and one coat would just about be all you need on your deck. Overall it's quite a bit cheaper to use also. Better spread rate, I would rate it at 150 sq.ft. a gallon spraying.

Thanks! I'd rather do the little extra work when applying if its a better overall stain. I think I'll stick with the Armstrong-Clark provided I can find a color the Mrs. likes. They are supposed to be sending me samples this week. I'll use it on some pressure treated wood, take pictures and post on the Armstrong-Clark thread once I get the product.