Sign in to follow this  
newlook

Aruba - Fun in the Sun

Question

I have been back a week or so and am now getting around to posting some of the many pics of our recent vacation in Aruba. Simply put we had a blast.

Anyway...enjoy!

16 answers to this question

Hey Carlos,

Welcome back. Looks like you had a fine getaway. My wife and I were in Aruba for an extended weekend about 12 yrs. ago. Did not realize until we arrived, it was over Carnival weekend. Lots of drinking and dancing in the main parade, we had a blast!

Our favorite in the Caribbean is Bonaire, one of the sister islands of Aruba.

We are heading to St. Lucia next Friday for a short 5 night vacation. It is our 20th wedding anniversary and I need a break. Wish it was longer, but have to get back to business.

Rick - Happy 20th man and trust you will have a great time in St. Lucia. There is something about 'carribean life' that just draws a person. If and that is a BIG if....if I had the $$ and the ability to pack up and move....I would do it in a heartbeat!!

Carlos,

Thank you for the kind wishes. It has been a wonderful 20 yrs. and hope we have many more.

There is something about 'carribean life' that just draws a person. If and that is a BIG if....if I had the $$ and the ability to pack up and move....I would do it in a heartbeat!!

Could not agree more. I have been slowly floating the idea of checking out Costa Rica as a 2nd home in the winter, and coming back to NJ for the spring - summer wood season. But neither of us have been there yet. Judy would probably consider Bonaire, but I think I would get ansy on a small island after a while and it is undoubtedly much more expensive.

Plus, it is kind of hard leaving friends and family for 5 months of the year.

Carlos,

Thank you for the kind wishes. It has been a wonderful 20 yrs. and hope we have many more.

Could not agree more. I have been slowly floating the idea of checking out Costa Rica as a 2nd home in the winter, and coming back to NJ for the spring - summer wood season. But neither of us have been there yet. Judy would probably consider Bonaire, but I think I would get ansy on a small island after a while and it is undoubtedly much more expensive.

Plus, it is kind of hard leaving friends and family for 5 months of the year.

I also have been slowly floating this idea with the wife aka the boss! While in Aruba I did some checking around on real estate and took the time to drive into the neighborhoods off the beating path. Stopped and ask questions at Real Estate offices regarding the market. Needless to say I was encouraged about what they told me as it relates to cost and the ease of purchasing.....

Rick...take a look at this link...

Aruba Real Estate - Search Results After hitting the link ...click on HOUSES at the bottom of the page...after that your cruising!

Costa Rica....yep. I have been receiving emails since last year on the investment opportunities there.

Edited by newlook

Hey Thad,

We were on Ambergris Cay in Belize maybe 10 yrs. ago. Terrific scuba diving, but needed a boat to snorkel. Back then, about the only food available was chicken or grouper. Slept in a cassada right on the beach.

Nicaragua is also being touted as the new Costa Rica. Not sure of either for any real estate purchase, as their political history has not been too stable.

Carlos,

Those prices on the site you linked are maybe 1/3rd of similar homes in my area of NJ. Bet the property taxes are a lot less too!

ohhhh...looked through the phone book also while I was there....no power washers listed at all. The one or two that I saw were using Home Depot specials attached to a poly tank.

Average cargo load from U.S. cost around 5k. out of the port of Miami.

Lets see...mmm...post construction clean-up is a possibility as there is a huge brand new development being built. All type of residential, boat and commercial work. All over the island there are restaurants galore....dumpster pads and etc....

Carlos,

Boat work, right up my alley! Restaurant work, ie: hoods and dumpster pads, is all yours!

Well, I am certainly a ways off before I would even consider the "plunge" and take the family over there permately. I have 5 years left in Calif. This is when I send my daughter off to college....after that...who knows.

I may head to Alaska and sale surf boards to tourists....:lgcold: