Sign in to follow this  
rick77

Clothes getting Bleached

I think I read on one of the power washing forums that Dickie makes work pants (maybe shirts too) that will not get bleached out while power washing.

I bought a pair of Dickies shorts that have "Stain Release Finish"". I'm hoping that this is the Dickies shorts that will not get bleached out. I'm stuck using regular 6% bleach for my gig tomorrow so the mix won't be too terribly strong anyway.

I'll probably mix 4 gallons of 6% SHC with one gallon of water, 4 oz F-13, and 10 oz Simple Cherry in a 5 gallon enclosed X-Jet pail. I'm using the X-Jet M5 so the mix ends up being pretty darn diluted huh?

I've got these nice royal blue hats and t-shirts with my company name on them. I've been wearing them to the gigs and while doing the interior window cleaning and non power washing stuff. Before I start power washing I put on an old white t-shirt and an old hat so my nice ones don't get messed up.

I'm hoping that these new Dickie shorts will not bleach out like regular clothing. So.......anybody know if these "Stain Release Finish" Dickie pants will be effected by the bleach in my house wash mix?

Edited by rick77

Don't know about the shorts, but the blue uniform pants hold up VERY well to bleach!! The khaki button up shirts hold up well also.

Jeff

I wear Dickies. I have the khaki shorts and the khaki button shirts with my company name printed on them. I bought the shirts at Walmart and took them to the silk screener for printing.

I have spilled straight 12% SH on them and you can't even tell it. Another good thing about Dickies is they dry fast. You can get them soaking wet and they will be dry in just a little while. Try that with jeans and cotton tee shirts.

Len,

At the top of this thread, Richard said:

I bought a pair of Dickies shorts that have "Stain Release Finish"

Being that you are a deck guy, question. Do these Dickie shorts and shirts clean up well from wood oil stains? Thanks.

Dickies will absorb the stains and keep them. But the SH bounces off of them.

Always used Dickies and always will.

Long live the Crocodile Hunter.

Well, I'm off to work in a little while. I'll see how these Dickie short pants hold up to the bleach today. After reading you guys input here I feel confident that they will be just fine.

I'll still have to change my company t-shirt & hat 'cause they will get ruined. That's no problem though if I do it discreetly. But I could get arrested if I had to change pants out by my truck LOL.

Thanks for the info guys!

Len,

At the top of this thread, Richard said:

Being that you are a deck guy, question. Do these Dickie shorts and shirts clean up well from wood oil stains? Thanks.

Rick,

Man, I wear the oldest and rattiest clothes I have for sealing decks. I think I read where someone soaks their clothes in HD-80 before washing them, but I usually just go to the Salvation Army store and buy old t-shirts and blue jeans for a couple of bucks so I don't worry about messing up my better clothes. I actually do take along a fresh pair of Dickies to change into just in case I have make a stop somewhere on the way home.

Hey, after that rag caught on fire with me I started worrying about my clothes. I no longer come in and through them in the dirty clothes basket. They go straight into the wash from now on.

We do the HD80 thing with Roger's stained pants & some shirts (most t-shirts get the trash treatment) but HD80 does wonders with blue jeans! My guys love their carpenter style shorts/jeans. Also, for you camo type guys - the Walmart camo shorts take ALOT of abuse before they start showing wear - bleach doesn't touch them.

Celeste

grey t-shirts work real well no bleach spots

Yes. That is the only T-shirts I will wear when working. Athletic Heather Lofteez by Fruit of a Loom. They don't show bleach stains, they are comfortable, and they hold up for good long while.

We do the HD80 thing with Roger's stained pants & some shirts (most t-shirts get the trash treatment) but HD80 does wonders with blue jeans! My guys love their carpenter style shorts/jeans. Also, for you camo type guys - the Walmart camo shorts take ALOT of abuse before they start showing wear - bleach doesn't touch them.

Celeste

Celeste,

Can't believe we are just talking about this. Today I picked up something with wet stain still on it and got stain on my new Dickie shorts. Bumber! (Well, that's not exactly what I said)

When you put pants in HD-80 do you neutralize them afterwards or do they just go in the wash?

Richard,

Hope you don't mind us borrowing your thread..... How did your Dickie shorts do?

Are those the Dickies button front shirts that are about $15 at Walmart? I was planning on doing the same thing as said above (buying them and getting them screen printed with a local guy I use). Just want to make sure I am buying the right ones that are fairly bleach resistant - I bought a dozen shirts from Queensboro this year and hve been fairly dissappoitned with how long they hold up.

We use a polyester blended tshirt. Not only does the poly have better wicking properties than cotton but it is not affected by bleach. Atlas Screen Printing. I have used Queesboro and Atlas and I like Atlas better.

Celeste,

Can't believe we are just talking about this. Today I picked up something with wet stain still on it and got stain on my new Dickie shorts. Bumber! (Well, that's not exactly what I said)

When you put pants in HD-80 do you neutralize them afterwards or do they just go in the wash?

Roger mixes up a bucket (actually he uses my cement bins! - flat, black things) of HD80 and one of Citralic. Pants go in one, then rinse with garden hose, then into the other, rinse, rinse, rinse, then to the washer :) It's not a daily thing - there must be multiple pairs needing the treatment!

Celeste

Richard,

Hope you don't mind us borrowing your thread..... How did your Dickie shorts do?

No problem at all! The more info the better off we all are.

My sweet wife washed my Dickie shorts yesterday evening and they look good as new. They were really dirty from cleaning inside & out of gutters, two awnings, power washing and cleaning the windows in & out.

The worst dirt was oil and grease from my gas powered blower. I don't see any oil or grease stains so these Dickies must be the wasy to go.

Are those the Dickies button front shirts that are about $15 at Walmart? I was planning on doing the same thing as said above (buying them and getting them screen printed with a local guy I use). Just want to make sure I am buying the right ones that are fairly bleach resistant - I bought a dozen shirts from Queensboro this year and hve been fairly dissappoitned with how long they hold up.

Gutter Squad,

The shirts I get at Walmart are the 65% polyester/35% cotton. I think they were right around $15.00 or so. The silk screener moaned just a little bit about putting my company name just above the front left pocket flap. I think they get used to doing t-shirts and the pockets with the flaps give them a little trouble, but the guy did a great job and the shirts take the silk screening very well.

Celeste,

Thanks for the cleaninng tips with the HD-80. I'll have try that.