Sign in to follow this  
fireandrain

Happy Days Are Here Again!My First Acrylic Strip in Process

Question

Thanks to everyone who chimed in on this one this past month. Client finally left for Europe yesterday and it was time to get at this strip! My first acrylic strip, and I was up tossing and turning last night worrying that this stuff was going to get the best of me. Here are some process pictures...

Treatment:

8oz p/g F18 sprayed with Deckster

20 min dwell time.

Stain started to wrinkle up real nice after 2 minutes dwell.

1st pictures taken before treatments.

36 answers to this question

Gettin at it for the 1st rinse, this stuff peeling off, blood pressure getting back to normal. So enthused that I thought I'd one-hand it and snap a picture with the other hand while I shot the deck... Had to.

Redwood 1x2, yes, you heard it right, 1x2 decking coming back to life again! This picture is after a "tester" shot of DS'd brightener.

I'll be back tommorow to continue stripping (more decks on the other side of the house) and brighten everything back up.

So far, I feel pretty good about how this one is going. I was armed with boost, but didnt seem to need it. Again, thanks to all of you awesome woodies who have helped me prepare for this one, my 1st acrylic strip. I appreciate it greatly!!!

Well, finally got some sleep last night after Day 1 on this acrylic strip proved to be more bark than bite. As I mentioned before, the previous guy had been top coating this deck with ? acrylic for the last few years. This "expert" was returning every year for a maintenance visit that was setting the HO's back $1,200 each visit. Never been stripped before. Nicest clients ever, really felt for them.

Anyways, here are todays pictures, still a small front deck to knock out next week.

First pics were taken during 2nd strip...

Spent a good 2 hours on the 2nd round of stripping. First layer wrinkled up right away, but a 20min. dwell @ 8oz. p/g didnt seem to want to get at that next layer at all. So much peled up finish on surface after 1st dwell, had to rinse pretty thourougly and re apply my stripper (again 8oz. p/g direct) to get that next and last layer to release...

Here are a few pictures taken just after brightening. Acrylic finish, full release.

Get much furring?

Yes I did. I guess I was expecting that. It would be nice to have more experience with larger buffing/de-felting equipment since I don't have any vertical de-fuzzing to do here. Thinking maybe it would be a good opportunity to rent something larger and gain some experience with a new tool. My de-furring arsenal is lilited to a few buffers w/ 3M pads. But whatever it takes, the HO's return in 2 weeks and I really want to knock their socks off. I built enough margin into this one to allow for mistakes or unforeseen nightmares. Since everything seems to be going better than anticipated, I'll be re-investing this "extra time" and head space into taking this deck to the next level. After all the con jobs these nice HO's have been subjected to in the past few years, I think they deserve a product that exceeds their expectations.

Cool deck and good job Matt!. If you do opt for the swing machine don't forget the most important part in finding the Hipro pads. Think Janitorial supplier.

That thing is gonna look like a new interior floor by time your done.. :)

Matt,

Terrific work on a wonderful wood. With the right strippers, additives, knowledge, and equipment, not so bad, eh?

Congrats on a difficult restoration. Future redwood trees owe you one...

Matt,

Terrific work on a wonderful wood. With the right strippers, additives, knowledge, and equipment, not so bad, eh?

Congrats on a difficult restoration. Future redwood trees owe you one...

Thanks Rick, appreciate it. Couldn't have done it without all the great help! Almost turned my back on this project when I first laid eyes on it, but figured it was a necessary hurdle if I wanted to build more knowledge and confidence with respect to stripping. It was time for some dues payin'. Thanks again for your advice,Rick. I'm in contract for my next acrylic strip to begin Aug.4th. I have pics posted on another thread of that one. That deck was done up by the same guy that did this deck! Hopefully she'll behave as well!

And I know, I definitely got off easy on this one! Smooth release, no vert work. I'm grateful.