Sign in to follow this  
RPetry

St. Lucia

Question

My dear wife Judy and I were fortunate to be able to spend our 20th wedding anniversary on the Lesser Antilles island of St. Lucia. Beth asked for it, so here are a few fun pictures.

#1 - The Pitons, volcanic extrusions within the past million years. Taken from the porch of our hotel suite.

#2 - My best friend on the island. Love boas. My wife disagrees!

#3 - Judy and I on the wheel of some stupid "pirate" ship, know for being in one of Johnny Depp's "Pirates of the Caribbean" films. Pardon the tee shirt logo, it was the last of the clean ones!

Have some interesting wood photos for woodies, but gotta' go now.

17 answers to this question

Diamond Jim,

Thanks. Was trying to convince my other half to another 2 days. But with the two pups, and wood work, c'est la vie. We are friggin' swamped. I need more decent help.

Carlos,

Typical summer Caribbean weather. 10 or 15 minutes of showers, sometimes heavy between 6 - 8 AM. Sporatic short showers throughout the day, hot sun and high humidity in between. Actually very pleasant, compared to NJ this time of year.

The flowers and blooming trees and bushes are just booming this time of year. The rain forest is machete territory.

Edited by RPetry

Diamond Jim,

Thanks. Was trying to convince my other half to another 2 days. But with the two pups, and wood work, c'est la vie. We are friggin' swamped. I need more decent help.

Carlos,

Typical summer Caribbean weather. 10 or 15 minutes of showers, sometimes heavy between 6 - 8 AM. Sporatic short showers throughout the day, hot sun and high humidity in between. Actually very pleasant, compared to NJ this time of year.

The flowers and blooming trees and bushes are just booming this time of year. The rain forest is machete territory.

Very very nice....Aruba did not have forest and greenery like St. Lucia.

Glad you had a good time.

Were booked for Cabo in December :lgwave:

Carlos,

We were in Cozumel for a week about 5 years ago. Been around the Caribbean over the years, and Cozumel has hands down, the best scuba diving. World class.

Still prefer Bonaire, a sister island of Aruba, for snorkeling and overall enjoyment. Very similar in that it is a desert climate.

Have to say that St. Lucia was by far, our finest Caribbean get a way ever. And we have been to a fair number of other regional destinations.

Have yet to get to the west coast of Mexico, though my brother in law has a condo time share in Cabos.

Hi Scott,

No, we stayed at a small isolated resort, Anse Chastanet, located in the midpoint of the island on the east, leeward coast. About 3 km. north of the town of Soufriere. See: ANSE CHASTANET RESORT St Lucia, Caribbean's romantic resort hideaway

The northern end of the island is pretty developed with resorts and we tend to avoid places like that.

Edited by RPetry

For those that may be thinking of an off season trip, another photo from St. Lucia.

Picture taken from the "challenging" road from Anse Chastanet towards the town of Soufreire. If you rent a car, make sure it is 4 wheel drive!

Beth,

Just for you. The pressure is on. Maybe these pics will force Rod to take you on a romantic get a way after wood season is over. Hah!

Seriously, both of us really loved St. Lucia.

The water fall was in Puerto Rico, at El Junque rain forest.

The next one with mainly ocean, was in St. Marten.

The one withe the crab and the two with the colorful cabanas are on Princess's private island, Princess Cays in the Bahamas.

There are some beautiful places down there, that's for sure!

Beth

Beth,

Don't know about the guys, but bet the boa would make a quick snack of a spiny lobster or fish!

Yrs. ago, we spent a day in Chankanaab National Park on Cozumel. Snorkeling just off to one side of a popular beach, saw a pair of 4 ft. antennae sticking out of some rocks along the shore. On closer inspection, it was the largest spiny lobster I have ever seen, guessing 12 lbs. or more! This thing was gigantic.

Crewed on a commercial dive boat off of NJ for many years and snagged my share of northern lobster. Biggest one I tried to grab had to have gone 14 lbs. or better. Got a decent grip but he/she started to drag me into its hole!

Chankanaab National Park is beautiful too! We spent a day there. Swam with the Dolphins. What fun!!!

So how much butter do you suppose one needs to finish off a lobster that size? :lol:

Beth