Sign in to follow this  
ezdayman

craigslist? what do you get out of it?

Question

do you list your business on craigslist? I have and the only people that calll are the other people im trying to steal busineess from. asking for quoets etc.. Im just wondering if you have any luck with C/L?

27 answers to this question

EZDAYMAN-

First, no one running an actual money making operation in our area is going to waste there time calling a hack off of CL to price shop them. Pay for some real advertising, and you'll get results. Every post you make you whine about not getting work, well its not just gonna fall out of the sky into your lap. You don't even have you business name and number in your signature, so how can any of us take you seriously? Sorry if this sounds harsh, but you're my neighbor if you're really from Anoka, MN. There's work, it just isn't as EZ to get as you want it to be.

I learned my lesson from putting my number up! so thanks for being a smart ass and making since at the same time I do get jobs but I cant figure out why people are scared to try something thats all... Dont be an ass to me When I get low on cash I get nervous "kids,truck payment, and house payment...... Times are hard and I was more asking if people do place adds on there since its free.... If you want to talk i sent you an e-mail i dont want enemys i came looking for new people/friends that share the same interest.... ttyl

Last time I checked, there is a signature requirement. What lesson did you learn from posting your phone number? Legitimate businesses have their business name and contact information listed. I don't think he was trying to be a smartass.

Craigslist is for bargain hunters and price shoppers. Don't plan on running your business from posting there. Tons of hacks and guys washing for beer money. If you have a website, it is nice for the rankings, that is about it.

As far as the way you run your business, that is your decision. Doesn't sound like you have much business sense based on your posts here. JMO. Take it for what is worth...

Wow is this like a website to get bashed on!! WOW.....

I do have business sense don’t be a smart ass and dont talk to me until you know all the facts!... I don’t place my number in web site cause the only people that call are ass clowns looking to see how much you charge i.e. the other guys..... Did your mom not teach you any lessons growing up? If you don’t want to say nothing nice Don’t say nothing at all...

3 other people on this same thread have been nice and answered, it was a question.... if i knew how to do a poll I would have done a poll. I see this site has some uptight people....

Don't sweat it ezman he's just trying to **** you off since your close enough to him to be his competition. He's trying to draw you out to see what kind of competition you are and probably suspects your a 99.99 low baller stealing "his" business. Your question wasn't out of line or whining. I can't figure out how anyone could have twisted in into whining about no biz but thats just me. I'm not familiar with any of your other post which couldn't be many, this was post #19 for you. Post what you want and don't worry about anyone here. Some here forget this is a forum to "Educate, Integrate. Motivate" and come here thinking it's "their" private forum to socialize like a bunch of pedigreed school girls looking down on others who are starting out and or don't have a 50k rig running a million dollar operation.

Again don't sweat it there's plenty of room here on the short bus with me....:vroom:.....And don't pay the catty drill team any mind...

Hey thanks man thats the best thing someone said to me all day! really made my day... Thats why i joined this site to be "Educated, Integrated. Motivated" Thanks for the message!!!

Have a good one!

I post regularly on craigslist, not in hopes of getting consistent work, but to help drive traffic to my website. I have only got a few jobs from craigslist but one or two jobs is worth the two minutes a week I spend posting the free ad. You will definitely fail if this is the only way you advertise.

Craigslist works great for me. I get about three jobs a week thru CL. I don't know if its the area that I'm in or what but I get some really good paying jobs. Of course you get some bargain hunters that call but I could usually weed those out with me telling them what my minimums are. They call. Then I tell them what my process is. Then I give them a minimum price and a high price and tell them its going to be in between that depending on difficulty and dirtyness. Then I ask them what day is convenient for them for me to come out and do a free onsite consultation to firm up the price. Out of those calls I go out to about 70 percent of them and land about the same number. Same goes with me about landing my biggest payday thru craigslist.Now I've heard a few people gripe about people overposting on the site. I do it anyways. I post about six different ads every two to three days. This way I stay on the top of the list. I've found any longer than that and they won't call or they have called a few companys already that their business plan is to get customers on price rather than salesmanship. Most times after they call me they don't call any further once they are educated on what to expect.Well that's my 2 cents worth. Oh by the way as far as the guys that are just starting and are calling you for prices goes. I think you should be more than willing to give the a ballpark price. At least they aint gonna sell a housewash for 99.99. They will see that they can get more and hopefully won't draw the prices down. I think there is plenty of work to go around.

Wow is this like a website to get bashed on!! WOW.....

I do have business sense don’t be a smart ass and dont talk to me until you know all the facts!... I don’t place my number in web site cause the only people that call are ass clowns looking to see how much you charge i.e. the other guys..... Did your mom not teach you any lessons growing up? If you don’t want to say nothing nice Don’t say nothing at all...

Okay, just to clarify - you have posted 19 times, most of which is to complain about your lack of work. You don't post your business name, your location, or your phone number. You sit by your computer all day and wait for emails to come in?

Craiglist is good for some, not very reliable for others. How will you know until you try it? The answer - you don't. It may be hard to land work without a phone number listed however.

I am not really interested in getting in a pissing match with you. You tend to throw out "smartass" quite often, yet you do very little to convince others (well, me at least) that you aren't a hack.

WOW BRYAN oh god him self get a life, Do you know anything about me? I sit at home and wait for e-mails to drop in my lap? If you were a smart man which I dont think you are all my info is just under my screen name just click and read! see this is what I found by clicking your name!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~About Bryan C Company Name Hydroblast Pressure Cleaning Inc. First & Last Name Bryan Corns City & State Westfield, Indiana Occupation Indiana Pressure Washing Contractor <LI class=profilefield_category>Signature Bryan Corns

Owner, Hydroblast Pressure Cleaning Inc.

Indiana Pressure Wash Services For Deck Cleaning, House Washing

And More

see that was easy and fun~~~~~~~~

Now if you use that thing you call a brain you'll see I have photos and my contact info too.here is a quote for you read.Read it and understand it!!!! "Ignorance about an issue is said to be "rational" when the cost of educating oneself about the issue sufficiently to make an informed decision can outweigh any potential benefit one could reasonably expect to gain from that decision, and so it would be irrational to waste time doing so. This has consequences for the quality of decisions made by large numbers of people, such as general elections, where the probability of any one vote changing the outcome is very small."

Edited by ezdayman
mistake

ted i see you been advertising alot in myrtle beach are you getting any work this way

It has not been gang busters but we are new. It will take some time to get the pump primed. Considering our newness we have been happy with the results so far.

Okay, just to clarify - you have posted 19 times, most of which is to complain about your lack of work. You don't post your business name, your location, or your phone number.(Only legitimate thing you've offered) You sit by your computer all day and wait for emails to come in?

Craiglist is good for some, not very reliable for others. How will you know until you try it? The answer - you don't. (nice backtrack from your first post) It may be hard to land work without a phone number listed however.

I am not really interested in getting in a pissing match with you. (wrong, you just didn't expect to be called out for your attempt to hijack his thread. You thought it was going to be an easy "beat up the newbie" game and now it becomes a pissing contest you don't want anything to do with?) You tend to throw out "smartass" quite often, (because thats what your being starting with your first post on this thread) yet you do very little to convince others (well, me at least) that you aren't a hack. [/quote] (Everyone in this business has been a "hack" at some point)

:topic::topic::topic::topic::topic::topic::topic::topic::topic::topic::topic:

You've already stated that people who advertise CL are hacks and indicated it being a worthless endeavor, (and been disproved several times by others testimony) verifying your ignorance and or lack of knowledge about the subject and offered nothing constructive. Why you felt the need to post on this thread is beyond me and it's obvious that your only appearance here was to insult EZ. I for one don't like people hijacking a legitimate thread to start personal attacks, as ez stated if you don't have anything good to say or offer the thread don't say anything. Not everyone here enjoys the game of beat up the newbie. "For what it's worth" your embarrassing yourself.

OK here goes,

I'm gonna give you the same answer as in your other thread "what's wrong with me" : July is slow up here for residential. Hang in there and you'll get work. Not looking to bash anyone, just trying to motivate. You asked about CL, and I gave an answer. Seeing as we're in the same market, I think I can answer that better than someone in GA, or CA. You need to get your rig hooked up and do some demonstrations for some commercial work. Go knock on doors for residential (with your rig parked out front).

On another issue, the reason you want your info in your signature line is that there are lots of lookers on here who are not contractors, but potential customers. Most don't want to dig around the site for your info. Use your words carefully and watch the name calling, its unprofessional. Now i've given you education also.

Don't sweat it ezman he's just trying to **** you off since your close enough to him to be his competition. He's trying to draw you out to see what kind of competition you are and probably suspects your a 99.99 low baller stealing "his" business.

Mud duck- Not trying to p*** off anyone, but obviously you were offended. I suspect that anyone can be a lowballer if they need money enough. If it was a question of feeding my family and I had to do $99 housewashes, i'd do it and so would you. Also, I don't view someone making a living as "stealing" anything, and if you are doing $99 washes, you're not taking any business of mine. As for whining, I calls 'em like I see's 'em. Things are tough all over, and I certainly don't envy anyone trying to start up a new biz in this economy.

I agree. What's the point of coming to this site to just criticise and bash another company. We all had to start somewhere and bet all had dumb questions( which I think this thread was started with a good question) or bad decisions on which way to steer ones company. Instead of wasting time arguing if someone is a hack or not... why not concentrate your effort to your own business or the betterment of your craft. Spend the same time doing something productive... Go list something on Craigslist( its free).

you know what guys thanks! its hard to come on a site and ask questions and wonder if your going to be "made fun of" but how do you not learn with out questions! I not saying craigslist is the only way im going to spread the word I bought a website today etc... its all baby steps towards the future!! i was just more asking how many people get business off it! other wise I was going to stop posting cause it does seem to be a waste of time

this is my last post in the tread I hope to talk to the rest of you guys someother time. by the way i might come off as an ass but im not im just trying to learn and grow for my family. as many of you know there are no jobs out there I use to work for the state got laid off and its about 3 months later now tuff times I bought the pressure washer/trailer/tank and im just going to go for it so thank you for the people that care and show people the ropes

thanks again!

Jayson

Far as the topic question goes.. I post on CL and it is good for business. I suspect much of it has to do with area and how the public sees or thinks of it. Perhaps it more popular out west as it originated out here..Trick is to use it like any other advertizing and not count on one solely. You have to link or innertwine all your advertizing in a marketing plan to project the correct picture to potential clients. I use CL to display projects and to point clients to my website which is more geared or suited to building a confidence and relationship away from the hacking lowballers.

My best guess would put the combination of competitor shopper and cheap price shoppers at maybe 25%. Perhaps not that much different then Service Magic type lead programs or other advertizing methods. CL requires a bit more effort in keeping your ads up and in the spotlight above other posters. After doing for awhile now I can translate directly the hits to my website with the days I post my CL ads. To date my largest project would be 21k and I would not call that guy a bargain hunter.

... I don’t place my number in web site cause the only people that call are ass clowns looking to see how much you charge i.e. the other guys.....

Ezdayman,

Maybe you are new here, and deserve a pass, but you are dead wrong. Over the past several years my company has landed many wood restoration jobs from TGS. Homeowners see your posts, judge the content, and call, email, or go to our website. It is that simple.

And we are not the only contractor on TGS that lands good paying, high quality customers from posting here. Just watch your p's and q's.

p's and q's.

My wife is away for a few days for classes for work. I'll not mind my pints and quarts. (Ps and Qs) Party time! Co;d beer anyone?

...I'll not mind my pints and quarts. (Ps and Qs) Party time! Co;d beer anyone?

Rick,

Great name by the way. I'm gorging on frosted mug heinies as we speak! Been a very hot day.