Sign in to follow this  
ezdayman

is this a bad case of zebra stripes?

Question

I was walking in downtown mps and came across a major business in downtown and it looks like someone did there pressure washing is that what the marks are or is it something else???

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f144/1chloedog/07282008060.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f144/1chloedog/07282008061.jpg

how do you go over that or cant you fix it? And no I did not do this like I said Its in front of a major dept store in downtown kinda like bulls eye but not quite the same name;~)

18 answers to this question

Thats what the national management company gets for their $100 wash job. That work is subbed out to local vendors.

You can fix it, not sure if they ripped of some of the cream or just left behind a lot of dirt. But if you re-clean it with a detergent and surface cleaner you should be able to make it look right. (unlesss they stripped off the cream)

If they are zebra strips from power washing, they're the weirdest ones I've ever seen. Maybe some sort of street sweeper used.

I agree about being weird marks. They dont look like 0 degree tip marks to me. A fan was definately used. Is this fresh concrete or maybe a coating on there?

Probably someone going in a sweeping motion to push the water or dirt to one end of the job. The overlap is looks like where they looped back around

*edit: then again I dont know why they would be that close together.

it looks as if someone was just going back and forth with the wond.. trying to push the dirt ahead of it.. it must have been about 200-300 feet buy 30 feet across tisk tisk... I just wanted to post the pixs and see what you think. if its sumthing you think that can be fixed I was thinking about calling this place and letting them know what they did. Or would you just leave it?

If you have a surface cleaner, try a small area to see what happens. If the results are not good, maybe because the surface finish of the concrete has been taken off, then walk away. Small investment of your time for a potential significant payback.

Edited by Mountain View

I've never seen marks quite like those, such a consistent pattern all the way across. Could those marks be from some kind of chemical? Maybe they sprayed something on the entire surface with a pump-up, only to find it dry when they went back to rinse.

Apparently it takes a real genius to leave marks like that, seems us fools can't figure out how. :lgbugeyes

I've never seen marks quite like those, such a consistent pattern all the way across. Could those marks be from some kind of chemical? Maybe they sprayed something on the entire surface with a pump-up, only to find it dry when they went back to rinse.

Apparently it takes a real genius to leave marks like that, seems us fools can't figure out how. :lgbugeyes

yup..intrigueing isn't it??..

mop, cone nozzle, or pumpup.... let's see if the list can grow..haha :)

yup..intrigueing isn't it??..

mop, cone nozzle, or pumpup.... let's see if the list can grow..haha :)

Could it be that somone sprayed a strong chem... maybe mauratic acid in tyhose areas

Could it be that somone sprayed a strong chem... maybe mauratic acid in tyhose areas

Don't know... is a misery of a mystery..lol

I have a store that I do regularly at a strip mall. One time the complex had somebody come through as well and they left a dinge sweep type look in some spots. more fan defined though. I've pressured, lightly turboedsome area, bleached.... everything but acid, and it took many monthes to fade. Some parts were fairly new crete where they installed new ramps and so I did not want to screw it up in getting out the strong acid. Much of it though was on old crete and skim coat still there with no aggregate showing. Shoulda sht with oxalic but never got around to it before I noticed it starting to leach out or fade naturally.

My main suspicion is an acid and/or degreaser applied via downstreamer that was allowed to dry before rinsing. Or a combination of that and 4kpsi @ 8gpm.

Edited by MMI Enterprises

My vote is for wand marks. I do lots of downtown sidewalks, and the retail stores and hotels around here, either have their custodial staff do the work, or like was stated earlier, a national chain farms it out for a hundred bucks. Looks like some cream was removed IMO. Either way, it looks bad.

They are from a 15 degree tip, formed about 3-5" away from the concrete. The concrete has a weak surface layer for whatever reason (too much water in the mix, poor troweling job, too much fly-ash or maybe the concrete hydrated to quickly). Obviously the contractor is inexperienced- no surface cleaner was used and I doubt if he used chems.

This could be fixed a couple of ways depending on how much money ya'll wanted to make.