Sign in to follow this  
herbie1

Ready Seal question

Question

Hey all,

I have a question about Natural Cedar Ready seal. Is this a clear sealer or does it have a bit of color to it? I have a customer who wants a clear sealer to let the natural wood look show through. I have used ready seal in the past and like working with the product. If not I was thinking of going with Olympic's Maximum. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Herb Hewlett

8 answers to this question

Ready seal has a clear sealer. The cedar color is darker than the light brown. Keep in mind that most clears will gray out in 6 months or so. When I spoke to Tracy and Sunbrite he mentioned the RS clear will only last 3-6 months and does not recommend using it for just the clear look.

I was told the same thing, ready seal uses its pigment to block out the UV rays... I'm suprised its only 3-6 months though. Even olympic water gaurd will last 9 months in most cases with VERY little fading if any. Water guard is the lower priced one too.

Extreme Solutions will be releasing Wood Tux in a Clear in about a month. It's going to be an "amber" clear, not a "water" clear. No pigments - so it is a clear, but resins do a a tint. Without the pigment in any product you do have less UV protection, however you still have some.

Try selling the customer on a gold color. It will end up alot closer to the wet wood look.

Beth :groovy3:

Hey Bryan,

Thats what I was saying, Ready seals tint is what stops the decks from turning.. If you use ready seal without any tint it can't protect the deck from UV rays.

When it's tinted it works great I've got a test running on it now and it looks great after 2 years. I plan on re-cleaning another peice of wood and re-coating it to compare the two. Both pieces of wood and many others laying around for a couple years are subject to weathering, sun/shade and my dog dakota..lol

I need to shoot over to beths and grab a sample of wood tux to try out this week.

Hey guy's I'm having computor problems. Been off for a few day's I got into this a while back on the pwna site with picture's . I use RS clear a lot. Go back and read that one........

Normally, within each brand of product, the increase of solids goes hand-in- hand with the increase of pigments and increase of UV protection. In otherwords, the darker the stain, the more UV protection it provides for the wood.

I use Olympic Maximum semi trans and my customers love it. I used the Honey Gold on my own deck and it's into the 3rd season.....looks fantastic. It also helps that I have a Lowes 1 mile from my house.