Sign in to follow this  
fireandrain

Another IPE on my Doorstep!

Question

It seems like the IPE owners are all coming out of the wood work in the last couple of weeks out here... Thanks to everyone who weighed in on the last IPE thread I initiated for that NFL football player in No.California. Still waiting to hear from that guy...saw hime on TV last night actually...

Anyways heres another IPE, just met with HO yesterday... Felt much better equipped this time around. Homeowner appreciated my input as she spent $100K on this deck in 2004 and has been disappointed with the finish every year.

She was well aware of the unliklihood of anything holding up beyond a year on her deck. I advised her that the most cost effective approach would be to strip the existing failing finish (Superdeck Urethane Hardwood Finish) and get something on that IPE that can be effectively managed on an annual basis.

Im going to be working on my project proposal tomorrow. Deck is appx. 600 sq. ft of floor with handrails with minimal vertical work. The spindles are 3/4 copper tubing... Never stripped Superdeck Hardwood Urethane before, plan on returning for some testing on the steps. Anyone with experience stripping this stuff from hardwood?

post-1749-137772213457_thumb.jpg

post-1749-137772213463_thumb.jpg

post-1749-137772213468_thumb.jpg

post-1749-137772213472_thumb.jpg

post-1749-137772213568_thumb.jpg

Edited by fireandrain

14 answers to this question

Of course he's disappointed every year. It's ipe. Finishes don't last on ipe the way they do on things like PT. Have a heart to heart, and get him on an annual maintenance list. Do his ipe once a year in the spring. Life will be good. Then, talk to him about the shingles on the house...is the whole house covered in them?

Beth

Edited by Beth n Rod
spelling

Follow what Rod said! Some of the worst and most difficult and frustrating strip jobs I've completed where removing these type of sealers. You need to get familiar with strippers made too do this type of stripping .

Gooooooooooooood Times!!!!!!!!!! Just when I get a grip on acrylics (2 in the last 2 weeks), I get this Urethane!

I'm game.

I added another close up of the floor. This finish was applied last summer and has already started breaking up... The lower deck is pretty well protected, under the top deck..should be even more fun down there!

Had a very informative discussion with EACO this afternoon regarding Stripsol. Planning on putting in an order this week. Should do the trick on this Urethane junk.

Homeowner accepted my project proposal today.

Bring it On!

Matt,

Good for you, and what an attitude! Congrats. These tough strip jobs are not so bad, eh?

Very curious on this Stripsol from Eacochem. Let us know how it works, with pictures please!

Very curious on this Stripsol from Eacochem. Let us know how it works, with pictures please!

I, too am curious how Stripsol performs on this big urethane strip... EACO Chem has a full suite of strippers on cleaning chems and this will be my first experience working with them. I will be posting some detailed process pictures working with Stripsol. Project slated to begin next Monday.

It's day-1 tomorrow on this Ipe-Urethane deck. My Stripsol from Eaco Chem landed on time Friday. Looking forward to seeing how this Stripsol performs on an exterior urethane finish.

So the HO on this one wants the 3/4" copper tubing spindles polished. I was doing some research on the most effecient way to polish these up... Seems like alot of copper polishing compounds utilize citric acid (in some form)...Hmmmm, wouldnt it be nice if, when DS'ing my citric brightener I could simply spray these copper spindles and, voila! polished spindles!

Anyone want to make a prediction?

post-1749-137772217921_thumb.jpg