Sign in to follow this  
N.B. DECKS

offseason work?

Question

Ok, so my deck work will be coming to an end in about 3 months and I need to do something for the next 4-5 months. Any suggestions?

One more question. What is the average number of decks you do per year. My number has been steadily climbing but it's not at the amount where I don't need to do anything in the winter.

9 answers to this question

I push snow, and do inside warehouse work, when I find it. I only do a few decks a year, was looking to grow it a while back, but have found lower-hanging fruit to pick. I've let the wood slide to mostly maintenance, and higher-end work only. I've hovered just under twenty decks these last few years.

I also spend a considerable amount of winter time shivering and complaining, and that seems to fill the days.

What time I have left I try to make up with my family for the long days and nights in the summer. Sometimes I find wierd little side business, but I've tried to focus more the last few. (Focus is trying for me, I like to find new stuff)

gutters. or Hawaii. or education. work on a new degree. or, stare at wall until eyes begin to water. count fingers and toes (backwards, and then forwards...repeat). Over-eat (very effective treatment for depression). Stock up on tools, other work-related gizmos. overspend. increases motivation to get back to work next season. Sit on a park bench in the rain (or snow), talk to squirrel's and passerby's. inform them that you are, "just killing time" until the weather improves.

try out for a professional sports team.

Get fat and put on 40 pounds! Sleep most of the day away and watch Soaps and Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!. I bought enough Diet Coke, Mac&cheese, Cream Cheese, and chips with assorted spreads to meet the winter demand. I found a" Couch Potato Urinal "on E-bay a must have !

Some of the decks I take care of are very large so it easier to say square footage. 100k easy but a bad year this year.

i am a teacher during the school year and our deck season is not as long, the deck season was up quite a bit this year, we were at about 105-110 decks this year running just one crew. John Peterson, Peterson Deck Rest.

I picked up a few Marble Restoration jobs and a few Chandelier cleanings to do and a couple of windows to do also and some out door furniture to do. I have to hold off on gaining the 40 LB's just yet !!

Snow plowing and Salting. Commercial accounts can be some nice money. We just got back into it again this year after about 10 years and the demand is still there even with all the lawn care companies. Closed 4 more commercial accounts today and I've had calls left and right for areas that I would rather not service (too far).

Outside of that we do around 220 decks a year and about 15 home restorations plus some pressure wash work here and there.

Leaving for florida in 8 days so winter is also for vacations :) Taking the kids to disney to see it all done up for Christmas.