Sign in to follow this  
fireandrain

Urethane Strip With Stripsol...In Process

Question

Took some pictures today, day one of a Urethane strip on an Ipe deck. Man, this urethane just laughed it's arse off at me! Pictures taken are after a 25min dwell, one pass rinse. Wondering if I can switch back to my less costly NaOH the 2nd pass through as I'm clearly going to be running short of Stripsol. Don't think that its any fault of the Stripsol, just this Urethane. Jury still out, but I did some testing with my NaOH @ 12 oz. p/g and it barely knocked on the door of this urethane.

So far, Urethane beatin' me up but Im not dead yet!

post-1749-137772214966_thumb.jpg

post-1749-13777221497_thumb.jpg

post-1749-137772214974_thumb.jpg

post-1749-137772214978_thumb.jpg

post-1749-137772214982_thumb.jpg

15 answers to this question

Oh man Matt, looks like you have met your match. If Stripsol does not make a dent, I doubt that NaOH is going to do much. A company here in NJ with the name of Back To Nature makes a lot of different specialty strippers, you may want to give them a call later in the day.

We have used their BFSII to strip out multiple layers of acrylic in one pass, but have never run into urethane.

A bit odd. You're on the west coast working on ipe', while Peirce and I are here in NJ working on a 50 yr. old deck, constructed of old growth redwood! Don't think I want to switch jobs.

Matt, I suggested getting the kit of strippers to do a test. Which has Stripper Cream in it. Stripper Cream might be the ticket or there is Instrip which I use on Urethane jobs both of these are used on more difficult strips. Happy Stripping?

Matt, I suggested getting the kit of strippers to do a test. Which has Stripper Cream in it. Stripper Cream might be the ticket or there is Instrip which I use on Urethane jobs both of these are used on more difficult strips. Happy Stripping?

Couldnt be happier, Jim. I have the tester kit coming next week for future goulie-stain testing. The strip moved along bit better today as I'm getting the hang of working with this new stripping chem,Stripsol. Keeping it wet w/ product NOT h20 misting...seemed to help. Lots of patience with this one but I can hear that Ipe beneath all of the carnage whisperin' sweet nothings to me!

A bit odd. You're on the west coast working on ipe', while Peirce and I are here in NJ working on a 50 yr. old deck, constructed of old growth redwood! Don't think I want to switch jobs.

Awe,come on Rick, I know you really wish you were out here in California working in pitch perfect weather on a suspended IPE with a breathtaking view of the golden rolling hills and San Francisco Bay in the distance!

Oh, did I mention Urethane?

Matt,

You have urethane, we have ancient old growth redwood that is just plumb loaded with tannins. Peirce and I played around with it a bit yesterday afternoon, and it is just tough to get this 50+ yr. old redwood deck wood to look good enough in prep.

Will see in an hour or so, but looks like we will both be on our knees, belt sanding the snot out of the wood. 'Course that raises up the tannins right to the surface. But hitting the wood in a test area with Ready Seal #80 brightener after sanding seems to knock it down enough where the medium red redwood only formula looks like it should.

Edited by RPetry

Matt,

If you're having trouble keeping it wet, apply the stripper then cover the floor with some heavy mil black poly and leave overnight. Be careful when removing the plastic, but it should keep the stripper active as long as its covered. Also, there's a product called Peel-Away that uses the same theory. It's a cream and you cover it for long periods. Works great on masonry or concrete, not sure if you can use it on wood though. Something to try anyway.

Thanks Beth, I will log that product into my stripper database. Appreciate it.

Rick,

Sounds like an AWESOME project! If you could send me some pictures when your done with it, I'd love that. I can hear that deck screaming your name!

Hey if that is good urethane (permenant solvent borne or 2 part catylized) not really meant for exteror wood decking your not going to make a dent with standard caustic strippers even if you boost them. Soy based solvent/gel offerings will get it with a good dwell time. Lots of money though. Better off sanding with swing machine equipped with the 36grit.

..good luck, urethane is a whole other animal! The 2 part stuff is what is also known as antigrafiti coating as standard markers or spray paint can be removed by paint stripper or oven cleaner without hurting it.

Edited by MMI Enterprises

Hey there Kevin. This is a Superdeck product "hardwood exterior urethane". The Stripsol is getting at better now that I'm honing in more technique. New to this type of strip. While I was waiting out dwell time yesterday I did some testing with Citristrip as I had an old bottle in the truck from some furniture refinishing I did awhile back. Was almost more impressed with the Citristrip! I don't think this citristrip gel would be a cost effective approach to the strip in general as this stuff runs around $13 for 64oz. bottle.

Edited by fireandrain

For those of you interested, here is a picture taken of the Ipe urethane coat after 5 minutes dwell time with Citristrip Gel applied.

post-1749-137772215469_thumb.jpg

Edited by fireandrain

That stuff isn't waterborne so it not a matter of emulsifying an acrylic matrix holding a tad of urethane. Instead it's oil and urethane so I can see why it would be tuff to get off. You have to hit it with chems suitable for both at same time.

Urethane fortified products interest me...

What the deck look like before ya started stripping? chipping, delaminating, wear only in traffic area?, ..like how would you describe it and how long ya think it was down before you came to job?

The regular superdeck seems to wear off in the traffic areas. Least the decks I come across anyways.They strip fairly easy. You could only be so lucky eh Matt?? :)