Sign in to follow this  
Ron G.

Need help with a pavilion type structure

Question

Hoping some of you Woody’s can help me out here. I don’t have many wood resto’s under my belt and I need to submit a bid on this structure.

The foot print is 30x60, the wood measured out just under 3k sq. ft. I will be just cleaning and neutralizing.

The wood appears to be eastern white pine, tongue and grove. Never been treated.

My experiences in the past with this type of wood is that it furs like crazy. I would like to avoid this as much as possible.

Can you please advise me on proper chems. / process. I’m thinking maybe percarb or light bleach, yes, no?

I have used EFC-38 in the past on a cedar shake resto, I worked great.

Thanks, Ron.

A couple pics.

post-1481-137772217947_thumb.jpg

post-1481-137772217954_thumb.jpg

post-1481-13777221796_thumb.jpg

35 answers to this question

Since this is bare wood, prewet it first with plain water and then apply a percarb at lower concentration between each support beam to keep the dwell time to a minimum on the ceiling. Wash that section then apply and wash another and so on...

I would not choose EFC-38 for the ceiling as it contains stripping agents which will assuredly cause fuzzing.

As for the tables and such, EFC-38 would be great because it will help to get rid of some of the stains embedded from food and drinks. A light bleach mixture after the wash on wet wood will help with some of the kool-aid type stains and more but follow with a complete rinse and then neutralize.

Rod!~

Ron,

Some clarification if you will on two of your pictures. In the first large view of the interior, the wood looks to be relatively clean. In contrast, the third close up picture of the T&G pine shows wood that is either covered in some type of spores, shotgun mildew, or very interesting dirt. Any idea or can you elaborate?

Off hand, I would think a diluted, say 2% bleach mix with a bit of soap could be applied after wetting the wood. With a few large, soft truck brushes, quickly and lightly scrub the wood while the solution is still wet. Apply more if needed before it dries out.

Rinse with very low, dump tip pressure. Rinse a second time. Unless you or the customer wants to lighten the color of the pine further, I do not think that an acid application is needed.

Test this on a small, out of the way area of the wood before going into production.

Ron,

Some clarification if you will on two of your pictures. In the first large view of the interior, the wood looks to be relatively clean. In contrast, the third close up picture of the T&G pine shows wood that is either covered in some type of spores, shotgun mildew, or very interesting dirt. Any idea or can you elaborate?

Off hand, I would think a diluted, say 2% bleach mix with a bit of soap could be applied after wetting the wood. With a few large, soft truck brushes, quickly and lightly scrub the wood while the solution is still wet. Apply more if needed before it dries out.

Rinse with very low, dump tip pressure. Rinse a second time. Unless you or the customer wants to lighten the color of the pine further, I do not think that an acid application is needed.

Test this on a small, out of the way area of the wood before going into production.

Rick, the majority of the wood appears just as the close up. Covered in black spots (mold).

I will perform a test using the process you suggest. I will apply to two seperate areas, one of the spots I will apply an acid to see what type of a color shift occurs.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

BTW -how's business down where you are?

Hi Dan, I am very happy overall the way things have turned out thus far.

For me this is not my fulltime job, with that said, I have managed to payoff 12k in equipment upgrades this year. At this point I'm not sure of my numbers but I'm way above last years sales. Roof washing is what I'm pushing the most and it is paying off. If we are lucky we have 12+ weeks remaining until that white stuff appears. The push is on big time!

I hope things are going as well with you Dan.

Well - I am getting there, just sent out another 1900 mailers. Then hopefully get some more work and re-send some fliers to folks I sent out in July. And then hopefully get some gutter cleaning as the leaves fall. I may be down total from last years earnings - but my pressure washer earning may actually go up - we'll see.

A couple pics of todays testing.

Forgot to mention.

Downstreamed my regular house wash mix (12 % & S.C.), brushed, rinsed thoroughly, applied ox, rinsed again. Absolutly 0 furring!

Damn fine results, can't wait to knock the customers socks off with results.

Once again, thanks to all of you.

post-1481-13777221926_thumb.jpg

post-1481-137772219573_thumb.jpg

That light a grayout comes clean with most anything with a little bleach. I suggest Clorox Cleanup cleaner as it's got the right amount of bleach as well as some other additive cleaners/surfactants to break through any polution or carbon/grease/smoke layer from bbq's.

Edited by MMI Enterprises

Ron, just become a "BleachBoy"!!

Geeze, that lignum killer bleach really put trashin' on that bare pine. Wonder where the mold/mildew is going to do now. Guess the old salts had a few years to figure this one out. We should only be so smart.

Ron, any pics without the oxalic?

Beth - he doesn't need to ph balance it - he won't stain it.

Perhaps worthy point related would be that changing natural ph of some surface can promote a faster decay of a structure.

For instance, alkaline level above 9 is desired in concrete if not coated with impermeable coatings due to both carbonation and chloride ions effecting metal reinforcements and fasteners. Is a serious concern surrounding the overall lifespan and safety of public buildings. Without neither alkalinity to diffuse CO2 or a seal to keep it out the world would fall apart in these days of reinforced crete. Is why when we are all dead and gone that all the crete will fall apart and it all go back to mother nature once the alkaline involved in crete is leached out over time.

...Case for wood would be similar in that carbon dioxide from rainwater is diffused by higher wood ph level thus protecting screws, nails, and fastners. So rule of thumb is if not sealing it ya clean it and leave it alone.

Edited by MMI Enterprises

Cleaned the pavilion today. A couple areas have some type of staining. Probably occured before the roof was constructed. It appears to be oil / grease. What can I try to lighten or remove? HD-80?

Thanks, Ron.

post-1481-137772219692_thumb.jpg

post-1481-137772219698_thumb.jpg

Ron,

That oxalic really made a big difference in the coloring. Looks great. I was going to suggest spot NaOH for the oil/grease spots but will defer to Diamond Jim. I don't even know what acetone is!

Acetone is the sound ya make while bending over a deck a few hours after a ham hock & white bean lunch break... :)

Kevin,

I can't see how that will help me remove a stain. If anything that process will only contribute to staining!:lgtear: