Sign in to follow this  
patriot pressure washing

backfiring BAD??

one of my landa 8gmp machines has been acting up bad this week and im not exactly sure whats wrong with it. if i have the trigger pulled down on my wand it runs like a champ, now when i let go after about 5 secs it starts back firing like crazy. i need alittle help figuring this problem out if someone could help i would appriate it

thanks mike

one of my landa 8gmp machines has been acting up bad this week and im not exactly sure whats wrong with it. if i have the trigger pulled down on my wand it runs like a champ, now when i let go after about 5 secs it starts back firing like crazy. i need alittle help figuring this problem out if someone could help i would appriate it

thanks mike

I'm not much of a mechanic Mike but have you checked the spark plug. Mine was doing that a couple of years ago and I had gotten water in the plug. Like I said. I'm not much of a machanic. Wish I could help more! :banghead:

If firing up through carb and popping only on deceleration then yer lean. Way you describe backfire though yer rich on slow speed..

Generic trouble shooting would be something like: check yer plug to see if it sooted/fouled up. Check for clogged or soaked air filter. Could be trash in a slow speed air circuit of yer carb or trash clogging yer float needle...spray some carb cleaner in the throat first or drop bowl to clean out and check if float needle is seating properly.

Hang in there..one of the equipment repair guys probably chime in with something specific to that machine.

Backfiring is incomplete combustion and happens in the exhaust manifold. Hopefully this does not indicate a bad exhaust valve which is not closing properly or is stuck which can lead to your engine getting badly damaged.

Two simple checks to perform;

1. Drain your oil (best performed when engine is still warm) and check it for metal filings.

2. Check your fuel filter to make sure it is still intact. Some debris can get through if it is old and deteriorated creating a problem with the float valve in the carburetor of some models leading to a rich feed into the combustion chamber.

What this means is that something may be obstructing the float valve from closing properly.

This condition can also be created by using bad gas or lacquer buildup over time leading to what mechanics call gunk!

Water in the line is not a problem unless it is a significant amount but this will not cause backfiring but smoke in the exhaust and some hard starts.

Vacuum out your tank on a regular basis to get rid of the crap that gets dispensed everytime you fill up. This will also get any water out which always can be found on the bottom of the tank.

If you feel so inclined you can take off your air filter and start the unit up, spray some carburetor cleaner into the carburetor opening which has a small pipe pointing down into it, (not much at a time) and then pull and release the trigger on your gun to throttle the machine. The cleaner can help to remove water in the system as well. Do this a few times till the backfiring problem subsides. If this doesn't work, take it in to have it checked by a mechanic because it is most likely a mechanical problem related to the valves not closing properly...

Rod!~

Edited by Beth n Rod