Sign in to follow this  
CraftonHill

Any Difficult Customers?

Question

I had an insane customer recently that has left me stumped. Had me restore, stain 4 arbors around their very large home. All cedar 2x2 slats and about 7,000 sq. ft. total. Took me a month but the money was there. It was perfect. They selected a semi-trans stain. When I was done, they said they really needed to "look it over" before they paid the final 75% of the bill. Did not hear from them for a week and when I did it was to complain that they did not feel there was enough product on. I informed them that was not the case and hauled out a ladder so they could get a better look. They said they thought it would look like the fence. The fence was done in some crappy sold stain. I explained that they had NOT chosen a solid stain and had chosen the semi-trans. They said they just didn't think it would hold up if they could "see through it". I have not been able to collect and placed a lien on the property.

If you would, please tell me stories of your crazy experiences so that I feel better. You know how it is.... I am hoping that your stories of misery will make me feel better.

24 answers to this question

Ouch! Have you tried getting the rep for the stain involved? - he may be able to assure them that you have applied properly and stain is exactly as it should be. Since the rep would likely be a witness in small claims court, his opinion at this point may push them toward paying.

Shelly,

A few things you may want to consider for the future. On a job of that size and duration, collecting only 25% prior to completion is just not good business. Progress payments should have been collected.

Do you have a contract? Something is very wrong if the customer expected a solid stain appearance and you applied a semi-transparent. A contract should at minimum specify the stain manufacturer and type to be used. We often apply a few color samples to wood after it is prepped for final customer selection. I would never stain exterior wood, large job or small, without final customer approval.

Yes, I tried the stain company sending them printouts and (the company is familiar with my work and has even referred me to people) talking to them but they would not listen. I had gotten the referral from a large deck company I have dealt with many times and they had no problems with them so I actually didn't have a worry in the world. They had approved the color and transparency in the very beginning. It actaully happened right when the stocl market started flipping out and I think they just didn't want to let go of the money. By the way, he is a lawyer for ATT. They (ATT) own the home they live in and will soon find out about the lien.

You worked on it for a month and they didn't notice the color?Cmon something stinks here.I would try the criminal courts along with the civil ones.Some cities have theft by deception laws to protect people from screwing you.

It was all in writing. I have put a lien on the home and told that is the best I could really do. They NEVER once complained about anything the entire time. I was without a doubt bent over. I have tried several times to open communication with them and they will not respond. The property is behind a locked gate and they will not answer the buzzer either. Other people seem to think that they lost money in the market mid stain and planned on doing this to avoid paying. He is a lawyer and we know they can think at times they are above the law. I was nervous on how to handle it because I can honestly say that in almost 6 years of doing this I have never had an unhappy customer.

Lawyers!!!! Not sure where it is located, but I posted a similar thread earlier in the summer. Perhaps you can find some more 'moral' support there! And, yes, my troublesome client was a LAWYER!!! Ughhhhh.

You could always show up with some stripper, under the guise of removing the offensive coating. Insist on it, unless they pay you. It won't work, but it felt good typing it.

Would he have to share the dollar bills with the stripper?

I had an insane customer recently that has left me stumped. Had me restore, stain 4 arbors around their very large home. All cedar 2x2 slats and about 7,000 sq. ft. total. Took me a month but the money was there. It was perfect. They selected a semi-trans stain. When I was done, they said they really needed to "look it over" before they paid the final 75% of the bill. Did not hear from them for a week and when I did it was to complain that they did not feel there was enough product on. I informed them that was not the case and hauled out a ladder so they could get a better look. They said they thought it would look like the fence. The fence was done in some crappy sold stain. I explained that they had NOT chosen a solid stain and had chosen the semi-trans. They said they just didn't think it would hold up if they could "see through it". I have not been able to collect and placed a lien on the property.

If you would, please tell me stories of your crazy experiences so that I feel better. You know how it is.... I am hoping that your stories of misery will make me feel better.

Did they approve the product and color on the estimate/proposal/contract?

If you took a month to complete it so this indicates they had a week at least to see the progress of the application and should have spoken up during that time.

We insist on our terms of payment that the balance is due upon completion. None of this "I want to wait and see how it looks" excuse. Wysiwyg! (What You See Is What You Get!) Once the day is past, they are in breach of contract and it makes the case against them so much easier to position in court.

Rod!~

I had a spec house i built that was $530k I let a lawyer move in 3 weeks before he could close on it because he had to be out of his old house.1 month later he had not closed on the house so told him to pay the interest payments of $4300.00 and that would be ok to stay,so he told me could not pay that much and he would pay 2500.00 for the month.It got real ugly i got a lawyer and it cost me thousands of dollars and finally 9 months later and $32,000 in interest payments later he closed on the house. But i lost all the interest money. Nightmare from H_ _ _.

I had a customer, he had four trucks and trailers I was washing and doing extras like brightening an aluminum tanker for free as well as cleaning the engines all for $140 total. I was just glad to have some extra work during the week since I mostly work on weekends. Well, I've been wondering why he quit having his trucks washed and when I passed by his business the other day, he had a tank and pw in the back of his pickup. I cant wait till he calls be back, price will be double.

Oh it feels good to vent! First of all my horror story doesn't compare to yours because I got paid in full. here goes...This customer came to me on a referral. I gave them a price to wash their large house fall of 06 and all went great. They wanted their deck done the following spring 07. I gave them a price and April 2 we scheduled the work . It snowed that day and we pushed it back a week. I had called them in March to make contact and let them know they would be first on our list weather permitting. "GREAT" see you then she was happy to here from me. April 9 we show up and things began to look bad. She had intertwined a prized rose vine through the railings and pickets on 2 sides just last week. I told my wife to stop unpacking equipment and informed the homeowner we could NOT powerwash he deck and NOT damage the prized rose vine. Now this is a grown woman in her late 40's and she begins to cry and storms in the house. My wife and I are at a loss wondering how supposedly intelligent people believe they can intricately feed a vine through the railings and expect us to wash and stain around it! Just about that time here she comes with a step ladder and some pruning sheers and threatens to cut it all off!!! My much smarter than me wife , signals to me to get the F out of there but NO I had to be the hero. "Wait , Mrs XXXX , let me see if I can un do as much as I can" What an IDIOT I was. She was soooo happy we could do that . My wife shot me a look that would kill but but pitched in and things began to look up. We got the job done and were glad to be done... so we thought. Now some back info... They picked out the color and it was noted on the invoice from the estimate . The base of the prized rose vine was at the base of each 6x6 support of the deck and I said to the lady I thought the stain may kill her plant . She approved my decision to leave a small area unstained at the base of the 6x6 on the plant side . I pushed more dirt up around it to hide the bare spot. It looked great !!!!GREAT!!! SHE SAID and handed us a check... 2 hours later her husband calls and is pizzed!! she had apparently called him at work and told him we had refused to do the deck and he was mad that I had upset her!!!. I paitently listened as he told me it was the wrong color and he demended I stain the small spot behind the rose vine for all the money he had paid. I calmly gave him my version of the days events without accusing his lovely wife of being a F'n lunatic and offered to come out on Sunday to talk it over with him. I showed up on what was Easter Sunday and pushed back the dirt and put a dot of stain on the area behind the root. I made a show of looking things over and he was satisfied. His tone had changed and he was even appologetic for his call and respected me for my composure and calmness. I explained I had been doing this for a long time and I was trying to do the best job I could . The entire time I had his money in my pocket he had paid me and If my very long fuse got lit by this arrogant sole I was going to take great pleasure in throwing it up in the air and yelling "refund " .... didn't happen. The family dog gave me my pleasure for all my BS eating with this guy though... you se the dog was under the deck and he needed to get it out so he could leave and the dog wouldn't budge. He yelled at the dog and reached under the deck and tried to grab it. CHOMP! the dog bit him and I had to turn away so he couldn't see me LMFAO . He ran inside and I called for the dog myself and it came to me. I patted it on the head and ran my a$$ to my truck and bolted. His wife call this year early and left a message for me to do the house again. 2 more calls and my wife picked up the phone and told her I wouldn't be able to do that. I was glad she showed some restraint because she wanted to strangle her if she ever saw her again. Still ..we did get paid but I would have paid $ NOT to eat sooo much sh^%

"you se the dog was under the deck and he needed to get it out so he could leave and the dog wouldn't budge. He yelled at the dog and reached under the deck and tried to grab it. CHOMP! the dog bit him and I had to turn away so he couldn't see me LMFAO . He ran inside and I called for the dog myself and it came to me. I patted it on the head"

The dog bit his owner yet come to you and let you pet it... That's too good! I guess that goes to prove dogs really are a good judge of character.

We get a few crack pots a year.The most memorable is a local attorney who is chemically sensitive.

We cleaned his roof a few years ago and he swore up and down if he could smell the chems he was going to sue me for everything we owned.Poor guy just didnt realize we didn't have anything to get at the time....hahahahaha.

I did the job late afternoon and he pulled up as we were winding up hoses.My wife comes around the trailer with a silly grin on her face and points to the side of the house were the fruit cake is on his hands and knees sniffing the ground around the house.

Mind you the ground is wet from all the plant watering and rinsing that has taken place.When he sees me looking he promptly jumps to his feet and marches over to me with his pants all wet and muddy and says "great job on the odor,now what are you going to do about these pants" Suppressing my laughter I told him I could rinse him off with the machine if he wanted.He declined and and dared me to try and get my money.............LMAO at this point becuase his wife has already paid us.................in cash.Hahahahahahahahahhahahahaha.

Don't let the freaks and fruits drag you down they are valuable learning tools.There are those whom teach us not to take certain jobs and those whom we as contractors must guide along to show them we do know our jobs.Then there are those who just need to be told where to get off.

\

I'd send him a certified letter return receipt explaining your position and that how many times you've tried to discuss the matter and his refusal to answer any of them resulting in the lien and if he still refuses to pay you and all cost you'll have no other recourse than to file a complaint with the state bar...They will jump his azz for sure...ethicts are the biggest thing they monitor,,write them a letter explaining the situation and that you now believe he never had any intentions to pay and committed fraud...They will call him on the carpet I guarantee you...

The guy is a local cable TV host and I used to watch his program.... used to...I can't help but laugh every time I picture the look on his face as he got bit. I handle some very pickey and demanding customes but arrogant and condecending are out with me! I welcome the pickey but they are at least fair in their critique of my work and most will let you know up front in the negotiation process. Another lady ( realator) had me do her deck every year for 4 years and left her house open on the day I scheduled. I didn't actually meet her until the 4th year . I would do the work and leave a bill . I usually would get it in the mail 3 or 4 days later. She moved to a new house and the deck had coats of awful reddish stain. I gave her a new price and did the work in 2004. 3 years later she called again and our price was $25 more than the last time at $625 . Her nieghbor had gotten a price from me 3 yrs ago but never called. she used a different guy . I got a call from my long time customer stating she didn't think my bill would be so high. I reminded her of our conversation noting that I had price increases on stain and fuel costs. She then told me the neighbor said we were only there a few hours and she didn't think it was worth the money for a few hours. I replied "well , how does your deck look?" she said "it looked good , we always do a good job" whats the problem I said I didn't know we agreed on how long it was supposed to take me. She told me the neighbor got some guy to do hers for $475 and would I match that......I explained to her how would she feel if she were selling me a house and said at settlement time ..oh by the way my friend got the realator fee for less than the 5% they agreed on so I was only going to pay her 4% ....long pause from her and she said she would think about it. She sent me a check for $500 . I cashed it and crossed her off my list. Not worth the effort . Its sad because she used to call me with rush jobs for sellers trying to get their decks done to lock in a sale and I accomidated her. Now the cheaper guy in her area got out of the business. I know this because some other people who left me and went to him called me back because they couldn't reach him any more. I try to leave the door open for customers who price shop to come back. This lady is just one who chose arrogance as a way to deal with me and she's gone as far as I'm concerned.

I reminded her of our conversation noting that I had price increases on stain aI explained to her how would she feel if she were selling me a house and said at settlement time ..oh by the way my friend got the Realtor fee for less than the 5% they agreed on so I was only going to pay her 4% ....long pause from her and she said she would think about it. She sent me a check for $500 . I cashed it and crossed her off my list. Not worth the effort . Its sad because she used to call me with rush jobs for sellers trying to get their decks done to lock in a sale and I accommodated her. Now the cheaper guy in her area got out of the business. I know this because some other people who left me and went to him called me back because they couldn't reach him any more. I try to leave the door open for customers who price shop to come back. This lady is just one who chose arrogance as a way to deal with me and she's gone as far as I'm concerned.

When I'm standing in front of someone expecting a check after the jobs done I expect a check and would never let them off the hook by letting them say "I'll think about it",,,Oh no mam I'm here to pick up the check now. Thats what I'm here for. Been there done that,,Did a job over a weekend while the HO was away and was supposed to call me Monday to come and get a check,,after three days of no call no answer on their ph I went to the home (Thurs) and had a lady want to just pay me half of a 1000.00 balance and for me to "talk to her husband" I told her I'm not leaving without a check in hand paid in full and if her husband had anything to do with it she needed to get him there or on the phone right now! I made it clear the job was done exactly to their specfications..They wanted only two of their three decks done and after all was done the one deck looked like crap against the two I did and she thought I should do the third one for free because it looked so bad..This after I pleaded during the bid to let me do it too but NOOOOO she only wanted those two done and made sure I knew it was "just those two, not that one or any of the furniture"....This was a retired school teacher from Fl...

In your case I'd show up to her office and ask her in front of everyone if her professional reputation is only worth 125.00 to her because for that exact amount your opinion of her will be sealed as a liar and a cheat...Explain as I'm sure she knows your in business TOO dealing with some of the same people around town she does and know what a business reputation means and what it's worth...You can't let people do you that way. Especially people who work in jobs that require them to have license like Realtors and attorneys...ethics are VERY big in those jobs. You might not get your money but they'll wished later they had just paid you...I bet her broker would make her pay up Johnny Quick after you showed up calling her out. She's going to slam you anyway under the pretense you cheated her somehow so I'd dam Skippy make sure I got my money. I wouldn't pay her 125.00 to have the opinion I was a cheat..She's screwing you out of both the money and the reputation...That damage is done you might as well go after the money..After that situation last year I'm going with the policy requiring 1/3rd down...the 2nd 1/3rd after strip / prep...then final payment AT job completion.

Haha I remember you telling me about bidding those huge decks. Cheapos didn't want to do the whole job?? Now they get to look at their two awesome decks every day and see the crappy third one staring back

16 years of doing pressure washing and I only have a few horror stories. I count my blessings. My time and sanity is worth more than the $125 she ripped me off for. I can appreciate your advice at showing up at her place of work and getting some satisfaction. the satisfction I got was to cash that check and put it out of my mind. Sooner or later it will happen to us all . To me that was a $125 lesson learned about keeping my sanity in the face of ignorant people. I also have a lawn business and I run into people all the time who want me to cut their lawn just one time to get it under control. I tell them they have to pre-pay me and they get defensive. i tell them I'm NOT a creditor and don't want to have to HOPE to get paid just for a few extra bucks. They say I thought you'd need the extra money. I have learned over many years of working many hours that my time away from working and worrying about business is worth something too. I just tell them I just don't want to be wasting my time hoping to get paid and the anger that scene can cause. pay up front or cut ti yourself. They usually pre-pay even after all that. Some would call me a sucker for giving up on the $125 ......I used to see this lady fairly regularly in my area and at the local Panera bread at lunchtime. Not since she ripped me off have I seen her. Is she avoiding me? who knows or cares but when I see her I will wave and smile . She know she ripped me off and I can hold my head high and be the bigger person. that $125 is what heart attacks are made of IMO

So here is my worst customer. January 08 I get a call to do an estimate for cleaning and staining an arbor. I cleaned the arbor and then 2 weeks later she called for us to stain it. My helper and I were there for a total of 3 days and she constantly came out while we were working and asked the same questions over and over. Sometimes coming out 2 or 3 times an hour to small talk and ask her questions. She told us several times that she loved the color and was very happy with the progress. At the end of the 3rd day we put her patio furniture back under her supervision and I got the check along with a handful of compliments about our work. About a half hour after we left she called to ask if we would come back and help her move a table on the patio and I said no problem. We go back and we move the table literally an inch which she could have done. I then go to the bank and make my deposits and go home. When I check my email I have messages from a few different business review sites telling me that someone had posted a review of my business. This creature had posted on a dozen review sites about how poor of a job we had done and that I was a possible convict, child molester, and all around creep. She wrote to the BBB, yahoo, msn, yellowpages.com, a bunch of small community sites and mothers groups, etc. All with the same copy. She actually wrote to the BBB that her goal was not to resolve a dispute but rather to “shut me down”. Then she put a stop payment on the check and threatened to sue me for damage to her property. She claimed that her pots were damaged by drops of stain which was untrue. She was claiming $24,000 in damage to her pots alone and said the rest of the damage was over $200,000. Her entire patio was covered the entire time we were working and there was not 1 single drop on any of her pots as this was the last thing I personally checked before we left the job.

After she posted her tirade about me I was devastated to find out that when you did a search for my business, all of her reviews came up first in the results. About 4 pages worth, all in front of even my own website. It consumed me and it took a few months to get most of it off of the internet. I spent almost every night for a month writing to these sites explaining the circumstances.

I decided to take her to small claims court. I filled out the paperwork and went to the courthouse and as I was walking into the building I ran into a very wealthy customer of mine. I explained what I was doing there and he explained how this could turn into a really long ugly process and to think about it. The woman I was dealing with was a housewife and is married to a very wealthy movie producer. Hence, lots of time and money. Neither of which I had. I ended up just forgetting about it and never collected or pursued anything against her.

Now the good stuff.

Before this incident I had never really considered the internet as a powerful tool for my company. Then when she posted her stuff it really scared me into protecting myself against people like her. What she inadvertently did was double my business and gave me the tools I needed to use the internet as my most powerful marketing tool.

Just to give everybody an idea of how I run my business. Not only do I do what I feel is very high quality work, I hand write thank you letters to every customer, I hand write over 500 Christmas cards every year, I donate services to many elderly or handicapped customers every year, I hand deliver Marie Calender pies to a couple dozen elderly or widowed customers every year as a surprise.

Life is good and business is better than ever. Chris