Sign in to follow this  
Paul B.

Bridge Over Troubled Water.

Question

OK it's not a bridge - but it does extend over the water.

Anyone out there stripping/staining docks or similar structures that

can suggest some ways of keeping the BAD STUFF (stripper/stain) out of the water?

All suggestions (other than pass) are appreciated!

10 answers to this question

24" rips of 1/4" plywood about 6' - 8' long with spaced styrofoam (like from a cheap cooler would suffice) or some other means of flotation, like cheap life jackets, underneath placed along the edge on which you are working. Maybe lay a light weight cloth or towel on the board to absorb the stain that drips off or is oversprayed. You could do away with the strips of board and use a larger sheet to go under the entire dock if the gaps between the boards are sufficiently large to allow the stain go go through.

But, on second thought, that would only be good if you are just applying the stain/sealer. I guess if you are going to be spraying the stripper on and pressure washing off, you might could make a lip along the edge of the board (could be made of styrofoam if you can find a cheap supply, thin strips of wood if not) to catch the runoff and have a vacuum with hose attachment to continuously suck it out.

You may need a few cross runners every few feet to stabilize it.

Might want some cheap plastic to act as a barrier between the stain/stripper and the makeshift container itself.

Roll it. I'm right on the Chesapeake bay. All the piers that I've done have not been treated before, so I just wash with water, and roll on the sealer, never stain. People around here like it natural. In your case any chems going into that pond will damage the wildlife, so if you apply the stripper and pressure wash it off, some of the chem WILL get into the pond no matter how well you attempt to divert it. This is the kind of job that I would walk away from avoiding the liability. Per my other post a buddy of mine gave me a pamphlet on Coronado Maxum stain that claims it can be applied on top of other stains, but it doesn't go into the prep work. If this is the case you could scrub brush a biodegradable cleaner on then roll the stain on top.

Since it is not to large over the water, how about taking a swim and pulling some tarps under the structure? Then use a vacuum or sump pump to remove the collected water.

This sounds like the most viable idea to me.

On docks that are higher up, I've seen it done that way, but rather than take a swim, they use a small row boat to manuever around.

That pond looks to be a private one, so technically, you could discuss your concerns with the homeowner, and likely not face issues with the EPA or governing bodies. If a small amount of chem leaked into the pond, I doubt you would have a serious effect. But it would be best to initiate a conversation with the owner first.

You can find the prep. info on Coronado Maxum at:

www.coronadopaint.com/maxum/m8500.htm

My thought process for now is to strip the old finish from all areas except the dock. Apply new on stripped areas and apply over existing stain on the dock after cleaning and removing any chipping, etc.

The dock area will be rolled on.

Someone will be getting wet to keep the stain from dripping into the water.

In my initial conversation with customer, I discussed concerns over allowing BAD STUFF to get into the water. They didn't seem to be that concerned, but you know how that goes (No problem until the fish start to die.).

In any case, the contract includes waiver by customer and approval for damage that may happen.

you know what they say paul.......dammed if you do....dammed if you don't ;-)

i would use a highter pressure on the dock...sand.....put a light coat of brightener on with a brush and leave to dry and pad it.