Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

2009 Sealer Poll

What sealer(s) are you using in 2009?  

181 members have voted

1. 1. What sealer(s) are you using in 2009?

• Flood
    • Sikkens
    • Olympic
    • Behr
    • Cabot's
    • Armstrong Clark
    • Ready Seal
    • ESI (any product, WT, WR, TO)
    • Wolman
    • Sherwin Williams
    • ABR
    • Defy
    • TWP
    • Wood Defender
    • Baker's
    • Penofin
    • Messmers
    • Something else - not listed, will share in thread...
    • Wood Care Pros (Wood Medic)

Question

It's that time of year again folks, time to reflect on the season behind us, and make changes for the new year. Having said that, I think it is safe to say we have all been yearning for an oil ever since the VOC laws changed in 2005. Gone are the sealers of old, we are faced with all sorts of things, hybrids, tough strips and the like. So....what's YOUR sealer of choice for 2009?

It's multiple choice. :banana: Don't forget to vote! :dancing:

Beth :sunshine: :groovy3: :cup:

Edited by Beth n Rod
fixed smilie

49 answers to this question

I am predominently going with Readyseal again next year, if a customer wants a different look, i will go with TWP. i used it a little this year and liked the results. I have been using a lot of ABR X-100 in the past but too many mold and mildew issues, will still be using cabot on solids and very screwed up decks. any suggestions on TWP and what to expect John, Peterson Deck Restoration

Been staining primarily with TWP 100 series for 3 years here in Atlanta area and it has been great for me. I apply 2 coats, wet on wet to all surfaces. It has a very even finish and a sharp look. I have recently revisited some early stains that I did and all but one (poolside deck has faded from chemicals) are holding up very well. Colors have faded very little on them and not much mildew to speak of either. I use mostly cedartone but rustic oak is also popular. I have no reason to use anything else unless the customer makes a different request.

Buck

Premier Pressure Washing

I am anxiously looking forward to working with Armstrong Clark next year. As soon as I can, I will be applying some to my own porch. I recently made some samples on fresh PT as well as older stripped/neutralized PT. It would appear that semi trans and semi solids can be used to blend old/new wood. All but clear are compatible with each other.

I am approaching three years with Armstrong Clark and will stick with it. I have posted several times here on the Grime Scene about my use of AC and I think I have some of the older, if not oldest jobs with it. When I was searching everywhere for a good product to offer my customers, I acquired as many samples from as many companies as I could over a year's time - after being burnt with easily accessible local stuff like Cabot's and SW. What struck me initially was the application. Consistent and good penetration.

Here's the most impressive part, and the part that speaks worlds about the AC company: Jake Clark flew from CA to AL to see his product on PT pine and how it's holding up. According to the AWPA I'm right here in the "severe-high" red zone for wood deterioration, and 99% of the decking here is fast-growth pine. Not a good combo. Jake flew here to see how the AC was working in the toughest environment (by AWPA) on what I'd consider the cheapest decking material known (PTP). Jake and I, along with Chad Gillikan, publisher of "Extreme How-To" mag, spent all day touring about a third of the 30 or so decks/docks done with AC around this area.

I see that AC has surpassed RS in the poll. It was not in the '08 poll so I guess it's catching on. I think AC is a good product for both the contractor and the client. A product that applies right, looks good, does what it claims, and is backed by good people. I am very comfortable selling this to my customers, and that makes my job easier.

I too am going to be a principle AC user. I've done a few decks with it and have no complaints either whatsoever. Access to Jake Clark about anything has never failed and he has always called me back. I wasn't going to say anything but since ShineBright brought up how dedicated Jake was to us by coming to see him I would like to share kudo's to Jake for coming to see me as well, last Wed after the ACR event. I should be so far off his radar he shouldn't even know who I am yet he drove up from Charlotte where he was spending T day with some family before going back to Ca Friday. We spent the day driving around looking at some of my area and talking. I found him to be very knowledgeable and approachable and had a great time. I tried to get him to carry a good o'l southern PTYP 2x4 back on the plane with him but he informed me he already has some there in testing..LOL

I am so glad to have found what appears to be a high end product and to know theres a man behind it who cares about us and what we do not just pushing a product. Thats a combination I can get behind 100 percent. I'm going to do a couple more RS just to have some local environmental comparisons of the two but I don't think you can beat AC right now.

Edited by MudDuck

Ready seal and Sherwin Williams. I'm VERY suprised that people are still using Cabots. Ever since their formula changed from the VOC their product is horriffic! I almost got sued from one job it turned out so terrible. Sherwin williams solid stains are so far superior than Cabots new formula. It's like comparing a Ferrari to a Yugo. I'm amazed that Cabots is still in business.

I hate to say it - but I will be switching over to Armstrong-Clark without having tried it. My timberoil stained deck is freakin black - and there is no way I am going to use a 100% parafinnic product with New England weather'd abused decks - unless I get customers who insist on paying me to come every 6 months to redrench their decks.

I will also continue on with an over-the-shelf available product from California that I think has a high degree of quality.

Link it up Beth.

Dan, I doubt you'll regret...am amazed you hadn't tried by now. Didn't you ask for the little test sample cans way back? I bet if ya ask you'll get sample chips all done up on redwood on a nice little chain.. :)

Edited by MMI Enterprises

Link it up Beth.

Dan, I doubt you'll regret...am amazed you hadn't tried by now. Didn't you ask for the little test sample cans way back? I bet if ya ask you'll get sample chips all done up on redwood on a nice little chain.. :)

I got a 5 gallon bucket from Scott at the sealer store. I have these 20 yr. old pressure treated boards sitting under the snow in my yard. As soon as the spring comes - those boards are getting restored and will become the start of my 'testing' process. I will immediately use A.C. and woodtux on the same board and see the comparison first hand.

With all these VOC changes and the constantly changing formulas - I hate that there still isn't a 'stable' stain for contractors to use.

ready seal is the shiznit,

:lol: In the words of Larry the cable guy: Thats funny no matter where you come from.

I am leary of anything these days and feel a bit dismayed at the changes these voc regs have created.

Gone are the days of a product last 2-3 years with only the need for a clean and a recoat. Now are the days of 6-18 months with who knows what to expect will be left by then. Call me a skeptic but from what I have seen on decks we went back to, I have good reason to be.

We are not endorsing any products at this time until we have had time to evaluate them firsthand.

I am encouraged by the experience and performance characteristics of Armstrong Clark products and as you all know we will be posting our thoughts and observations here in the future as we can. So far, it looks good.

Rod!~

Done with Ready Seal..except for past customers that need a reseal.

I've been using Pittsburgh Paints the last two years and have been extremely happy with it. Yes its a Linseed oil based stain but A) I have not had any mold issues with it and B) Even though its a "film-former", the product holds up very well with minimal scuffing over a two year period and I live in an area that sees very harsh winters. The biggest downside is that, unlike RS, you do have to do a full strip before reapplying BUT this stuff strips off like butter with dilluted strippers. Lastly, I get it from my local P-Paints store for around $18 a gal.

I do have a couple of questions though for the rest of you.

1) Could you include some $/gal for the products you are using

2) Is any one actually using/promoting any of the hybrid (acryilic/oil) based products? From what I've seen of them, whenever I bid a job that has one on from a previous seal is that, A) They don't strip worth a you know what and B) Applying them is a sticky mess. They gum up the decksters/deckers and are a pain to clean brushes/rollers.

Also, when eis Behr going to stop putting silicone in their products!?! ARGGHH!