Sign in to follow this  
CannonW

Should I mix bleach in my house wash?

Question

I did my first house last Friday. It had dirt, grime, mold & rust on it. First, I hit it with Pressurtek's 6136... that worked pretty good... got all of the dirt and grime (used hot water too)... but the mold and rust remained. Next, I hit it with Bleach... That took care of the mold. Then I hit the rust stains with Oxalic Acid... which took care of the rust.

The house looks great... but now I want to speed up the process. Can I mix the Bleach and 6136? Will that give me the desired results? Is there a shelf life after mixing?

Is there a better way to apply? I downstreamed the 6136 and the bleach with a chem nozzle and extend-a-wand. I sprayed on the Oxalic Acid with a pump sprayer. Is there a Shurflo setup that would work better? How about an X-jet... is it time to buy one?

Thanks for all the help...

41 answers to this question

If for any reason you do mix the bleach with 6136 do not do it in a sealed container unless you want a big boom, make sure whatever you have it in is well ventilated. The bleach and 6136 will cancel each other out in about 2 hours too, when your done washing get rid of whatever mix you have left before you head down the road.

Ask Rfitz about it, he had a can explode.

Here is why I have been holding off on the purchase of the x-jet... Can an x-jet apply HD-80 and EFC-38 at full strength? If so... how? Do I mix the chemicals stronger in the container and then dilute them with the x-jet? Will the water absorb the chems at higher strengths?

Cannon,

The original X-jet will handle the caustics with no problem.Just rinse it with water after each use,as you would with anything you run harsh chems through.You won't be able to get full strength chemical mixes with an X-jet,but 50/50 or 1/1,which ever way you want to say it.

The housewash mix we use includes the 12.5% chlorine in the mix,along with a foamer and wet wax.We achieve great results this way and can do a 2000sq.ft. housewash in 1 1/2 hrs with now problems.Oxalic would still have to be applied seperately.

Cannon,

The original X-jet will handle the caustics with no problem.Just rinse it with water after each use,as you would with anything you run harsh chems through.You won't be able to get full strength chemical mixes with an X-jet,but 50/50 or 1/1,which ever way you want to say it.

The housewash mix we use includes the 12.5% chlorine in the mix,along with a foamer and wet wax.We achieve great results this way and can do a 2000sq.ft. housewash in 1 1/2 hrs with now problems.Oxalic would still have to be applied seperately.

Where can I get a high quality foamer? I bought one from Delco last year and it was crap. It melted on the first day of using hot water. It looked like something bought at ACE Hardware made for a do-it-yourselfer. They stood behind their product and returned my money so I can’t complain about that.

I haven’t checked with Beth, maybe she has them or may get them? The short amount of time that mine lasted I definitely liked the dwell time of the foam.

Thanks a lot

Jesse R. Kirchhoff

Advanced Power Washing and Restoration Services

Kirchhoff Home Improvement Maintenance and Repair

114 Forest Hill Ave. Jefferson City, Mo 65109

Office 573-635-2708 Toll Free 1-866-635-2708

I am a big fan of the F-13 (6136). It foams, cleans and sheets great! When I used the x-jet I would mix a 5 gallon brew of house wash at a time. My mix was 1 1/2-2 gallons of 12.5% (This depends on how moldy the house is), 8-12oz. of F-13 then fill the rest of the bucket with water. This should give you a starting point. If the house has really black gutters just mix some F-13 in a bucket with a bit of water and spray it on, brush and rinse. After you figure your mix out you shouldn't have to do much brushing. As fare as the other house wash mix that squirtgun mentioned...it works pretty good but it requires a foamer since the wax cuts down on the foaming. Stick with the F-13 you won't be disappointed once you find the ratio you like to work with.

I remember a post from Paul B awhile back discussing the ingrediants in 6136. He identified one as carcinogenic. That doesn't sound like something I want to work with on a daily basis.

The thing I can't understand is why people praise the 6136 so much when there are products specifically formulated for washing houses, and is not carcinogenic.

My gut feeling is that too many are looking for a one chem fits all approach, and that just isn't the right way to go. Also, MSDS sheets are either not being read, or not being given the proper caution necessary.

I am a big fan of the F-13 (6136). It foams, cleans and sheets great! When I used the x-jet I would mix a 5 gallon brew of house wash at a time. My mix was 1 1/2-2 gallons of 12.5% (This depends on how moldy the house is), 8-12oz. of F-13 then fill the rest of the bucket with water. This should give you a starting point. If the house has really black gutters just mix some F-13 in a bucket with a bit of water and spray it on, brush and rinse. After you figure your mix out you shouldn't have to do much brushing. As fare as the other house wash mix that squirtgun mentioned...it works pretty good but it requires a foamer since the wax cuts down on the foaming. Stick with the F-13 you won't be disappointed once you find the ratio you like to work with.

I use the same mix as squirtgun. The wax does not cut down on the foaming action of the soap. I have used it with out the wex and it foams just the same. The reason the foamer is added is to give it more cling. Everyone has there favorite brew for house washes and for those of you looking try everything out. Whether its Stuttering Bobs Stuff, RPC Products, Sunbrite or anybody else out there selling soaps. Make your own decision after trying it out.

I am sure the f-13 works good for some and not for others. Its all in your taste of how you think the results should be. I have never tried the f-13 so i cannot give my true opinion on it. I have tried several local products here in NJ and was not impressed with them. The mix I use now was the first one that impressed me and thats what I intend to stick with. I will still try others when I get a chance because you never know there maybe a better one.

It does not explode like fire explode its a pressure explosion from the container not being vented or getting to hot. The same thing will happen with most products used in this industry. They are all dangerous and bad for you that's why safety is so important. And for those of you who may not know the name of Bobs company is Pressure Tek not studdering bobs sales.

Tony,

I talk up the f-13 because it works well and I like to share when I find something that works. Just because it was designed mainly for fleet washing doesn't mean it can't be used for house washing. When you think about it it actually make sence to use it. Most vehicle washes foam real well, rise great and are ment to handle road grime. A house is alot less dirty than road grime on an 18 wheeler. Bob doesn't even push selling chems, his cup of tea is equipment.

Bob,

I'm not saying anything is wrong with multi-tasking chemicals. What I am saying is everyone needs to understand what they are using, and how it can negatively affect their health.

It is one thing to spray soap on a truck, it is completely different to spray on a house, because so much more soap is used, and the soap can get all over other things as well as yourself.

It is also important to realize you could be affecting children and pets as well. Afterall, trucks are not washed in your backyard. Think about it.

Guest rfitz

Because of a chemical gas explosion last year in my van, I now keep each chemical in its own container, and use metering valves to mix together when they hit the hi pressure hose, It is alot safer, and also alot more efficient,

as I can adjust each job seperatley, with metering valves, either with more soap or more chlorine, depending on whats being cleaned, also you will have jobs where downstreaming just wont cut it, no matter what, and thats when you X-Jet or use a sure flow set up, I use all 3, usually when I need a strong chlorine mix for a ton of mold, algae etc.. on the facia of a house, for some reason mold loves the facia..? not sure why.. anyway, I found mixing chlorine 15%, 4-1, 6136 1/2 cup to 5 gallons water and x jetting bad moldy facia, or deck cleaning works great, for stripping and britening decks, I use my sure flow set up, if you try and mix chems double their strength to adjust for the dilution rate of the xjet at 2 to 1, you just end up wasting chems, they wont dissolve properly,, example, if you put 5 lbs of oxalic acid in 5 gallons of water,

you will have a pile of powder at the bottom of your bucket, most chems have a maximum strength, and they peak out, no matter how much you add, and always mix your powders with warm water, they dissolve much faster and are much more effective when at temperaures of 80-115 farenheit, and no agitation is required when mixing chems in warm water, I mix my oxiac at 8 OZ per gallon, and my stripper at 8 oz per gallon, and that way, I am usually good to go, with Behr stains I mix my stripper 16 oz to a gallon but I charge accordingly,, for behr deck strip jobs, I start at $1.75 a sq ft and go up from there, If a homewoner has used behr on his deck, he basically really screwed up his deck,

Hope This Helps..

Point taken Tony. My point is mine should not be singled out. Any affective chemical has its down side. Caution should be taken with any chemical you use. Even though this was developed as a truck wash it is safe to use on homes. The dilution ratio to clean homes is a lot less than it is to clean trucks.

Do you let your customers kids and pets run around you when you wash a house?

What about when you strip a with deck sodium hydroxide. Was sodium hydroxide developed just for decks?

There are studies that have linked chlorine to cancer, it is on the United Nations banned chemical list. Is this safe for pets and children. Think about it.

Bob

Do you let your customers kids and pets run around you when you wash a house?

Of course not Bob, but after I leave I have no control of that. I'm more concerned about the residue that's left behind. I do my best to rinse everything completely after I'm done.

What about when you strip a with deck sodium hydroxide. Was sodium hydroxide developed just for decks?

No, s/h was not developed just for decks, but HD-80 was. There are other chemicals added specifically to the mix that enhances the performance. It's not just s/h.

I prefer to use products that were specifically designed and blended for a certain task. I use a product designed to remove black streaks on gutters. And a product created to emulsify dirt and oxidation from siding. Then there are those blended to clean concrete, and clean trucks, etc.

My on the job experience has shown me that using multiple products for specific applications is more appropriate than a one-chem-fits-all approach.

I have reviewed the MSDS for every product I use, and understand their appropriate application, and safety concerns.

There are studies that have linked chlorine to cancer, it is on the United Nations banned chemical list. Is this safe for pets and children. Think about it.

Here's a great link regarding chlorine... http://popularmechanics.com/science/research/2001/1/chlorine_ban/print.phtml

Based on this article, maybe we shouldn't be using chlorine at all, but until there is a satisfactory substitute for us, I'll have to continue using chlorine, like it or not.

I'll be wearing my PPE.

I'm trying to point out that each user should evaluate their own situation, do their own research, and chose the products which they believe to be appropriate for the need.

This is a discusstion thread afterall. Everybody is entitled to their own approach and way of doing things. When I see some users promoting a one chem shotgun approach, I feel the need to point out other methods. I'm not saying either one is better, I'm saying to look at everything available before you decide. In fact, whenever i write about certain products, it's first hand knowledge, not what I've heard from others. It's my .02

I cant believe that we will use bleach or hydroflouric acid in cleaning and focus on an ingredient in 6136. That's what they make respirators for. Understand that when they determine that a product may cause cancer they tested that one ingredient straight. You mention that washing houses causes chemicals to go everywhere...try washing semi trailers parked close together. And you never know when "they" will determine that a chemical that we have used for years under the assumption that it was safe will be called unsafe because they finally got around to testing. Always wear a protective mask when you think you may be exposed to anything. And another concern is storage in the trucks......the coctail of fumes caused by fuels and chemical fumes can also be dangerous.

Andy

Respirators are a good start, however many chems can be absorbed thru the skin, like oxalic acid, for one.

Personally, I never use HF acid, and never will. HF acid is an insidiously dangerous chemical, that causes burns deep within the cells of your flesh, without ever making a mark on your skin. Gloves and goggles are probably more important than a respirator when it comes to HF.

The main difference I see between washing houses and trucks, is that houses are in a residential setting, where children and pets play. Trucks are generally in a commercial setting, washed out on gravel, or if necessary, on mats where the water is recovered.

You're right about chems being identified in the future as hazardous. Who would have ever known asbestos was so bad, or PCB's would be such trouble makers? That's why I always wear my PPE for every chemical I work with.

The number is closer than you think right R.Williams . I have used 6136 before thanks to Rob(cchsnc). Works very well. 8OZ to 5gallons of house wash( 1 gallon 12.5 bleach and rest h20. I dont use it all the time. If the facia are really bad or the house is dirtier than average it helps. It saves me from having to double up on the bleach. I know there are a lot of additives out there on the internet.Some drive chevys other drives ford. some even drive dodge. Its what suits ya.

Exactly Tony.

I use a vapor mask when applying my housewash mix, and I also use an oxidizer to break down the bleach faster into salts. This makes rinsing easier and less effect on plant life as residues are not as likely to be a problem for anyone who may be exposed to them. I always educate my customers as to when they can resume activities once a wash has been done. It helps them to stay safe and I feel it is a responsible thing to do for them. They feel more comfortable with you as a result, and isnt that what is important to them?

Understanding chemicals makes you better armed to help the customer understand what will be affected, why you are using them and what they can expect.

Rod~

Guest rfitz

Sorry Folks, Im not buying any of this, I am from the show me state, MO. and if anyone took all these precautions, wore mask's, etc.. why not just wear a moon suit,? let's face facts, YOU are in a business with alot of harsh chemicals, you will be drenched in it after a full days work, gloves, respirator, vapor mask whatever, none of these will help, all of this is absorbed thru your skin, hair etc.. if you are handling these chems with all this protection, you arent getting alot done in a day, who has the time to be competetive when putting on all this nonsense gear...? Im washing 3-5 houses a day, and 2-4 decks, and yes I accept the risk, but gloves, and masks will not prolong your life, if you are indeed succeptable to cancers, or ill affects from using these chems, and If I saw a guy washing my car, house, carpets, whatever, in a mask, gloves, respirator etc.. I would tell them to get lost, It puts too much fear into people, if on the other hand, they see me washing with nothing on but my shades, guess what..? they now feel safe, Sorry folks, but I just dont buy in to all this...

Hope this helps....

What makes you say these thing won't prolong your life?? seems like an assumption thats impossible to determine, so it would seem like one would have to go with common sense....if the chems are in fact dangerous..protection does make a difference.....if your talking about perception of safety...thats little more than creating a false illusion.