Sign in to follow this  
Joe Ortiz

White smoke out the burner?

Just thought it was weird that white smoke started to come out the vent atop the burnner then about 2hrs. later the reset button kept popping out. Cant figure what is wrong. It'll work for about 5min then resets. Its a Landa SLX model 8gpm. theres bubling in the clear filter cap, when reset you hear the fan start. just wanted suggestions before i start to take it appart. any help will do. thanks

call russ johnson at southside equipment. he can tell you everything that you need to check and he may be able to tell you exactly what your problem is. the white smoke sounds like a mixture of fuel/heat problem and right now i have a similar problem. as far as the breaker is concerned i can tell you a little from my experience. on my unit the fan and igniter get the 12vdc at the same time. my fuel pump which runs off of the fan motor was dragging and putting a load on the motor. this tripped my breaker. the coupling between the motor and the fuel pump should turn freely so check that. i bought a new pump from russ and the problem was solved. as a matter of fact, i have bought a new fan motor, igniter coil, coupling, heater coil, thermostat, pressure pump for the washer, and power switch from russ so that lets you know that he has everything that you need to get this thing running right.

good luck,

rando

Edited by douseahouse

white smoke is an incomplete burn and also an indicator of lack of fuel. Make sure your diesel filter is clean and the tank has a sufficient amount of fuel. You may need to adjust the air bands as well, check and see if they are loose.

Air bands are those sliders that let air in... If they not loose and jigglin around then they probably ok and haven't moved..

Reset button is sign of too much strain which can be from pump and fan cage not turning freely. Check for rotation by hand turning the fan. Oil any bearings if needed. Other strain causes are too thick a fuel like during cold weather or too low a voltage from generator. A motor must be supplied properly for it to work or not burn up.

Change the fuel filter first. It is worth the effort, and probably needs to be changed anyway. Also make sure that you are putting sufficient voltage out of your generator. Then start worrying about adjusting stuff.

Thanks fo your help i will check this stuff in the a.m. if anyone else has any input feel free to "help a brotha out". I just like to know how to repair everything you never know when youll need to fix it again. Thanks again!

Just thought it was weird that white smoke started to come out the vent atop the burnner then about 2hrs. later the reset button kept popping out. Cant figure what is wrong. It'll work for about 5min then resets. Its a Landa SLX model 8gpm. theres bubling in the clear filter cap, when reset you hear the fan start. just wanted suggestions before i start to take it appart. any help will do. thanks

Check your igniter.....sounds like it fires when starting but the fire gets weak after being on for a while....Need bright blue spark

If you are seeing air bubbles in your filter bowl that is a sign that air is getting in the line which will effect your fuel pressure and atomization of the fuel for proper burn. First I would check your inlet lines for small air leaks and change your fuel filter that may be part of your problem.

As far as the tripping of the breaker check for a short in the wiring or have your blower motor checked out. It may be the fuel pump as mentioned above which could cause all of the problems you are having.

hey guys thanks for all your help. It was the fuel line that was clogged with a piece of plastic or something like a drill bit shaving. had to remove the tanks and clean real good.then changed the fuel filter and oil, shes running sweet now. thanks again!