Sign in to follow this  
whattsound

Effloresecence remover

Question

Hello,

My house has some white spots on the bricks where water coming from sprinkle system get to. After some research, I was told that this white spots thing is Efflorescence. I am thinking about trying this Effloresecence remover from Eco-Wares:

Eco-Wares - Cleaners Detailed Info

Has anyone tried this product who can give me some input. Thanks.

25 answers to this question

Many that use branded acids use like Safe Restore...not dealt with the one you mention.

Not all such white has to be from efflo coming from building. It can also be deposits from hard water itself so a sealing may not totally solve problem down the road. Adjust them sprinkler if ya can.

I would never suggest a homeowner use muriatic acid on their home - too many possible problems - but I won't hesitate to recommend a product from Northern Tool called BRIXX WASH. It is a clone of another product I could recommend called SureKleen 600 from Prosoco. The biggest difference is price $8 vs $28. Follow directions and always use eye/skin/breathing protection. Multiple applications may be needed. In my experience, you may need to use a little pressure as well to remove any remaining residue.

Are your bricks sealed? That doesn't look like efflo as much as white scum. What does it "feel" like? Reason I ask if you're sealed is because that's what it looks like when the substrate isn't dry enough for the sealer to be applied. A sealer will milk up if there is moisture behind it.

Celeste

Gentlemen,

I've bought 2 gallons of BRIXX WASH from Northern Tools and applied them on the bricks, let it sit for 5 minutes, pressure washed it at 2000psi. After doing that for 4 times, some of the white things seem to come off but there are still a lot left. Do I need to scrub it with a brush after applying the solution to remove the stubborn white things. Or perhaps I need to try some other solution (EacoChem perhaps.)

Christopher, when you use the chemical from EacoChem, what is the process that you used to remove those white Efflorescence.

CarolinaProWash, I really dont know if my bricks are sealed or not - how can I tell.

I use MD - 80 from eaochem if the deposits are heavy. Safe restore works good as well but with MD-80 you will use less chem. Apply anywhere from 50/50 mix with water to full strength depnding on the scope of the leaching. The biggest thing to remeber is that the staining is caused by the salts etc leaching from the brick when water works it way out of the brick. High pressure should never be used to rinse as it can force more water back in and soon the same aituation is back. I apply the chem in one to two applications then and let it dwell a few minutes, then I use a soap nozzle and stand back so when I rinse I only get a gentle rain like amount of water on surface just enough to remove the remaining chem. Like most situations the chems do most of the work. With MD -80 you defintly want to use gloves , filtr mask and face sheild to be safe. Sherwin williams will stock the product usually or will if you ask them to.

If the white things "feel like powder," they would not feel at all. Instead it would crumble and become smooth and chalky in your fingertips. It would also come right off. You might even be able to blow it off.

There are two forms of eff. 1) Powdery. 2) Calcified.

Powdery eff is pretty easy to remove. Its more difficult to keep it from coming back.

Calcified eff is extremely difficult to remove and in my opinion should only be done by a professional. Thats where you can run into a problem. Not many I would consider to be professionals in the art of eff removal. Every situation is a little different and requires a little different technique. A lot of damage can be done very quickly if you don't know exactly what you're doing. Not to mention the possibility of burning the brick.

My question to you: How long did it take this white stuff to get where it is, and how long has it been there? Are the bricks new or old? Has the white stuff suddenly appeared over the last couple of weeks, months or years? Has the brick been sealed? If so, when?

Even without those questions being answered I'll tell you my initial opinion on what is going on and it's pretty simple. It may be calcified efflorescence, but it usually doesn't look like that. Calcified eff would also take a few years to get to look like what you have. Doesn't really fit the profile but I wouldn't exclude it.

In my opining, it looks like the bricks had moisture in them and sealer was applied prematurely. The moisture wicking out from the brick will not be able to evaporate and will turn the sealer white. The amount of whiteness depends on how much moisture is trying to get out. The more moisture = more white. If this is the case all you will have to do is find out what type of remover to use on the sealer. It will need to be taken off, let the brick dry thoroughly and then reapply the sealer.

If the white things "feel like powder," they would not feel at all. Instead it would crumble and become smooth and chalky in your fingertips. It would also come right off. You might even be able to blow it off.

There are two forms of eff. 1) Powdery. 2) Calcified.

Powdery eff is pretty easy to remove. Its more difficult to keep it from coming back.

Calcified eff is extremely difficult to remove and in my opinion should only be done by a professional. Thats where you can run into a problem. Not many I would consider to be professionals in the art of eff removal. Every situation is a little different and requires a little different technique. A lot of damage can be done very quickly if you don't know exactly what you're doing. Not to mention the possibility of burning the brick.

My question to you: How long did it take this white stuff to get where it is, and how long has it been there? Are the bricks new or old? Has the white stuff suddenly appeared over the last couple of weeks, months or years? Has the brick been sealed? If so, when?

Even without those questions being answered I'll tell you my initial opinion on what is going on and it's pretty simple. It may be calcified efflorescence, but it usually doesn't look like that. Calcified eff would also take a few years to get to look like what you have. Doesn't really fit the profile but I wouldn't exclude it.

In my opining, it looks like the bricks had moisture in them and sealer was applied prematurely. The moisture wicking out from the brick will not be able to evaporate and will turn the sealer white. The amount of whiteness depends on how much moisture is trying to get out. The more moisture = more white. If this is the case all you will have to do is find out what type of remover to use on the sealer. It will need to be taken off, let the brick dry thoroughly and then reapply the sealer.

Now that, was an excellent post! :dancing:

Beth

My house was built new about 3 years ago. I truly believe the white efflorescence was caused by the hard water from my sprinkler system. At first the white stuff was very minor and I did not think much of if. Overtime it is worse and now they look pretty bad as shown in the pictures. From what you described, they are probably calcified efflorescence, but since i dont really know much about this subject, it's only a guess. I don't believe the problem is sealer related as the white stuff only appear where water from the sprinkler got in contact and i've never used any sealer nor the builder (i contacted David Weekley builder and asked them.) If this is calcified efflorescence, how can i remove them. Thanks.

Get back with EacoChem....you'll need to use Eff-ortless followed by NMD80 I believe. We have been successful removing calcification on historic brick with that process. Craig is right - done improperly, you can cause bigger problems than you have.

Next question - have you adjusted your sprinklers to water the yard, not the house :)

Adjusting the sprinkler was the first thing that I did.

I called and talked to Mike at EacoChem. He will send me something that may get it out.

Vinegar does not help any. Thanks everyone for your input. I will keep you all update.

Lol...vinegar. It works for light powdery eff but not for a job like this.

Eacochem has great products. The process that Celest is describing may be your best bet and you might have to redo the process several times to get all of it off.

In heavy calc eff places apply a little more product and scrubbing with a stiff brush may help. You will need to keep the brick wet at all times. Never let it dry out. And be steady with your pressure washing to try to keep the cleaning even. You'll figure it out.

Here's one job I did thats similar to yours.

http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/flatwork-buildings/3200-pics-calcified-efflorescence-restoration.html?highlight=pics+calcified

email me at swpwscraig@yahoo.com for more details if you have any questions.

Edited by Craig

Wow, that is quite a job well done Craig. You sure are an expert at this.

If the stuff that Mike at EacoChem sending me dont help, I will use Eff-ortless followed by NMD80 per Celeste's advise. Wish me luck. I will post result next week.