Sign in to follow this  
CLASSICPW

Trex

Question

I've got a job washing and sealing a 1 yr old deck with trex flooring and handrails. Does Semi-trans sealer wipe off trex with mineral spirits or does it stain it?. I'm sure that I can't spray it and I already added in the fact that I have to hand apply it. Basically does Trex soak up sealer or repel it?

5 answers to this question

I'm bumping this post because I need to know if an oil based semi can be used on trex. I see that it can be stained and painted, but Trx is 50% plastic and 50% wood byproduct so you would think anything oil based would repel off plastic. Trex is not responding to my e-mail and the job is very soon. Does anyone have any insight?

Looks like you would have to use a solid stain. In this case you would need to put a primer down first to give the stain something to ahere to as it would not adhere to the trex decking itself.

Herb Hewlett

I ve done one with ready seal gold . the problem with stains is that it goes in very uneven. There are area's that take more color than others. I think using a clear is better it will enhance the color and provide protection. Do some samples . I ve done a lot of samples and I think clear is the best bet.