Sign in to follow this  
Christopher

Supply Hose Reel Restrictive?

I have been wondering if the hose reels really restrict the flow because the inlet/outlet on most of the brands are 3/8", 1/2" or 1" so the 3/4" is not common on the major brands.

My supply hose reel has the 1/2" inlet/outlet with a reducer bushing on the inlet/outlet for the 3/4" for using 3/4" hose.

I am wondering if you should go up to the 1" inlet/oulet for more flow because there are jobs that seem to have good pressure/flow but I am thinking that the hose reel inlet/outlet might be restricting.

Do you think it would be worth it to modify/convert a 1/2" hose reel for more flow or buy the larger 1" capacity or is it not worth it?

Just trying to figure out how to get more flow to the tank but without the hassle of connecting/disconnecting a jumper to the hose reel (not using the insides and swivel of a hose reel, just using it for storage) and to the tank for each job.

I am working on a bid for a chain of stores that would mean between 4-8 per nite if I get the job and do not want the helper forgetting to connect/disconnect the jumper if I decide to go that way.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Superior Power Washing

Chris Chappell

361-853-2513

House Washing Services in South Texas

Exterior House Cleaning in Corpus Christi Texas

I am looking at running 200' to 250' of 3/4" supply hose to the tank so I would like to keep the restrictions to a minimum but preferably none.

Thanks.

Superior Power Washing

Chris Chappell

361-853-2513

Cleaning Concrete Driveways Sidewalks and Walkways in Corpus Christi Texas

I was going to do that this week along with timing my downstream injectors to see how much they really pull (3 different downstream injectors) on both machines.

That would show me how much the hose reel is restricting if at all.

Thanks.

I am looking at running 200' to 250' of 3/4" supply hose to the tank so I would like to keep the restrictions to a minimum but preferably none.

Thanks.

Superior Power Washing

Chris Chappell

361-853-2513

Cleaning Concrete Driveways Sidewalks and Walkways in Corpus Christi Texas

Chris,

Low-priced, promotional hoses, usually 1/2" diameter, deliver 9 gal. per minute (gpm), and higher quality hoses with 5/8" diameter deliver 17 gpm. A 3/4" hose delivers 23 gpm, almost three times what a 1/2" hose delivers. The larger the inside diameter of the hose, the less pressure loss over any distance. If the pressure is low (under 40 psi), the hose is running uphill, or is extra long, then the largest size hose available should be used to minimize pressure loss in the hose line.

You will experience pressure loss through the garden hose as you increase the length of hose. The larger the hose ID the less loss you will experience. Any reel regardless of size will create some loss, especially in the swivel. Depending on the size of your water tank you can probably get by. If you have a 500 gallon water tank and fill the tank prior to starting the job you should be able to stay up with the water demand for 8 gpm using 200 ft. of 3/4" garden hose.

Chris,

Low-priced, promotional hoses, usually 1/2" diameter, deliver 9 gal. per minute (gpm), and higher quality hoses with 5/8" diameter deliver 17 gpm. A 3/4" hose delivers 23 gpm, almost three times what a 1/2" hose delivers. The larger the inside diameter of the hose, the less pressure loss over any distance. If the pressure is low (under 40 psi), the hose is running uphill, or is extra long, then the largest size hose available should be used to minimize pressure loss in the hose line.

You will experience pressure loss through the garden hose as you increase the length of hose. The larger the hose ID the less loss you will experience. Any reel regardless of size will create some loss, especially in the swivel. Depending on the size of your water tank you can probably get by. If you have a 500 gallon water tank and fill the tank prior to starting the job you should be able to stay up with the water demand for 8 gpm using 200 ft. of 3/4" garden hose.

Thanks Larry.

Many have no idea of the performance they are losing by using small hose.

As you know, the loss of a hose system is the sum of all the parts.

Since the manifold of a hose reel, or the swivel, is but a small fraction of the total, we often "get by" with diameters less then what we would like to have.

In the OLD Days, it was common knowledge to use as big and short a hose as possible.

Somehow, that message got lost.

Thanks for bringing the message back!

Thanks Larry.

Many have no idea of the performance they are losing by using small hose.

As you know, the loss of a hose system is the sum of all the parts.

Since the manifold of a hose reel, or the swivel, is but a small fraction of the total, we often "get by" with diameters less then what we would like to have.

In the OLD Days, it was common knowledge to use as big and short a hose as possible.

Somehow, that message got lost.

Thanks for bringing the message back!

That's why they keep "OLD GUYS" around. We do have some redeeming qualities.

Chris,

That is why I do not roll all my hose out. The water does not have to travel so far, keeping your volumn and pressure up.

That is why I do not roll all my hose out. The water does not have to travel so far, keeping your volumn and pressure up.

Ditto with Chris,,hose length is hose length,,,100ft is 100ft rolled up or not.

Ditto with Chris,,hose length is hose length,,,100ft is 100ft rolled up or not.

No! NO! 1/2 of the hose is uphill, and 1/2 is down hill. It all evens out. But what does make a difference is if you have parked so the hose reel is algned with the longitude of the earth. or is it latitude. Larry will need to step in here now. Us old guys stick together.

Thanky our ogo, soon you will be an honorary " Old Guy"

I have not had a problem with a 3/4" hose, as long as there is adequate water volume from the spigot. That is running to RK-43's off of it full bore. They put out 5.5 gpm, on the machines that I have.

Here is a good explanation of pressure and flow loss.

http://osuextra.okstate.edu/pdfs/F-1231web.pdf

A coliled hose has a loss of 10 psi.

That may be of little importance to someone using a pressure washer, but to a roof cleaner using a 45 psi 12 volt pump, it can matter.