Sign in to follow this  
CCHSNC

SH DeckScapes

Question

Has anyone tried this yet?? I just got my Spring 2004 mag. from SH and they are introducing a new deck stain that can be applied the same day as the washing. I'm not sure how this will work but if someone can get it right I'll definetely use it. Just think one trip and a nice check:) that sounds good to me.

24 answers to this question

Bio-Wash (division of Napier) has the One-Day Deck which uses the Natural Deck Oil that can be applied 30-40 minutes after rain or washing/stripping.

Flood has the “Spa-N-Deck” (www.FloodCo.com)

It's a 3 coat product that can be applied to wet wood.

Wood Tux is coming out with a new line called Wood Tux Wet. it can also be applied same day after cleaning deck. I forget when Russel said it was being launched. It will be this season though.

That's what I would like to know. Does this type of product preform? How is it to work with? How about this one...for those of us who mask a job off how will the tape stick to a wet wall? What happens when you strip a deck and in most cases it will fuzz. How do you knock wet fuzz off? So what I'm getting at is you would have to come back anyway to detail. I guess the same day stuff can be used on deck that only need a cleaning before staining.

These are just my opinions on the subject.

First, the USDA and the Western Red Cedar Lumber Association recommend OIL BASE PRODUCTS. For me, that is enough right there. Now, there is no perfect product out there. Some are better under different circumstances and climates than others. There is so much competition in this market to come out with a "same day deck product" that I have to question is this really what is good for the wood and the customer OR is it what is better and easier for the homeowner to apply and the contractor who wants a fast buck? Don't forget the easier they make the products to apply, the more homeowners will try to do themselves as well. Secondly, I liken this at this point to the "no pressure washer" contractors, the garden hose house washers, and the folks looking for an "out of the box thinking" style of restoration. I understand that there are times when a water base would be a good choice and I also understand that there may actually be a good product that is going to come out and perform well. Until then I will be skeptical BUT, with an open mind.

John,

Not at all, I respect you and your posts. Matter of factly, I commend you for being different and in how you approach the business. I am merely stating my opinion over all. I am sure you and I have seen our share of shaky contractors who promote certain items that just aren't true. I certainly don't put you in that category. I have a competitor that is telling customers that ANY use of a pressure washer is not recommended and WILL cause damage. We both know that a pressure washer at say 800 psi and used correctly will not damage wood. This is what I am really talking about.

According to the manufacture it will hold up just as good as the original wood tux. I to think this will be interesting to see. I do plan on trying it out but it will be on my own deck first.

There are some out there all ready. ABR has a product for damp wood. Ive used it on a couple of decks where the moisture content didn't go under 20%. Also when I do maint. I seal the same day. Been doing it for 8 years now. LOL >. Did 3 decks today.....

The Mag is put out by Sherwin Williams. It usually comes out once a quater. The one I am referring to is the Spring 2004. It actually has an ad "Doing Decks right".

Jim, are to referring to the ABR Natural Seal Wood Preservative for the damp sealing? I also started doing maint. this year using Abr products. How long between maint. coats on the railings are you getting with the ABR products? Do you use the Pre Finish system? Thanks Joe

One more question Jim What do customers remember most, the quality of your work or the bird on your head? Reminds me of Cal Worthington and his dog Spot. A California auto dealer that did TV spots with a variety of animals from birds to elephants. Hi, I'm Cal Worthington and this is my dog Spot! Got my attention!

3 to 4 on verticals and depends on the client. I use some ABR stuff mostly RS. ABR get "s to dirty and moldy. It has mineral oil in it. But as for restoring an old deck there is nothing better . I might use it first then switch to RS the next year. This year is going great getting jobs I don't have to go quote!!!!!!

Guest rfitz

Bottom LIne is this, There are products that can be applied to wet wood, and yes they may last 9-12 months, but wood is made up of oils, and need the like to truly protect them, I wont use them until tested for 2-4 years and show their true colors, until then, I will apply oil based sealers after wood has moisture content at 12-13 % or less, I am in no rush, and I see staining / sealing the wood the same day saving me no time or money, I have seperate vehicles for each, 1 for washing 2 for sealing, if you schedule your jobs appropraitely, you should actually make more money sealing after wood has dried, and schedule your washing days and sealing days appropriately, and this being my personal opinion, but if you are charging less than 60-75% for maintenance jobs, you are losing money, I tell my customers when using Ready Seal, they will need to have me do a lite wash and recoat every 2-4 years at approx. 60-70% of the original strip, wash, sand and seal cost, which isnt bad to protect their investment, For Example:

Original cost: $1200 Maint. wash and recoat every other year or so $780.00

break that down over 2 years and it's only $390 a year to have a picture perfect deck every day of every year that only comes down to $30 a month or so, ? I ask them how much is a car payment every month ? that after 4-6 years they dump ? $500-$700 a month..? I say so spending $30 a month to enjoy something for a lifetime is reasonably cheap, They Agree of course,

and we all are happy...:)

Hope This Helps...

I used to use ABR products quite a bit but the smell killed my wife. What do they make it out of skunks? lol I also had a problem getting it from more than one source. If he was sold out I'd have to wait for another shipment and that's just not an option for me with the weather being the way it is. Now I don't use any product that I can't get from at least three sources, it's not worth the headaches or the possibility of prices rising at the whim of my distributer. That's what happened with my ABR rep.

As for applying sealer on wet wood, I'm not intersted either until it's been proven for a few years. Most customers would just think were trying to rush things even if it says it on the can. Why even take the risk of putting that thought of mistrust or rushing a job into their heads? I don't even believe the product will work as well when applied to wet wood so how could I convince my clients? I'll wait a few years and see what happens, I'm in no rush.

Well, we applied Wood Tux at a fairly high WMC last year and guess what? No mildew growth. It's the quality of the ingredients that are key in a good product. The differences between Wood Tux and Wood Tux Wet will not alter the colors, or the quality of the product as it stands now.

It's simple really, Extreme Solutions makes excellent wood care products. They have the best product suite and total solution out there. Nothing is released until it has been thoroughly tested, and if it doesn't pass their standards, it doesn't release. This is why we felt so comfortable with it last year, and guess what? We wre not let down even once. We have revisited jobs to look in on them, and they are still beautiful.

Beth :groovy3:

Guest rfitz

I dont think 1 year is enough to successfully test any wood sealer/stain, It is just my opinion, but I want to see how a product performs 2-3-4 years, then I can successfully sell that product to my customers, personnally, I am more interested in how the wood is being protected rather than its surface color, for example Ready Seal says the wood will look good for 2-3 years, but the wood is actually still being protected on the inside for 3-4 years, that is what I look for in a sealer... Just my opinion, and Im sure Russell, has the highest quality ingredients in his Wood Tux Line, all the Extreme Solutions Products are excellent at doing what they say they will do, so I am sure Wood Tux will prove over time it too is a great product...

Well, let's put it this way, Wood Tux has been on wood for several years now. Last year it was on wood that we as contractors sealed it with. It's been there for a full year, going into two for that. It's also been on test wood for quite a while.

Last year a photo was posted of Wood Tux and Brand X [yes, RS] after one year. Wood Tux outperformed it. It's not just about the color, no. But let's face the facts:

Pigment is in large part what protects from UV damage. Therefore, a lasting color on the surface means the wood is more protected, and the wood will not grey as fast. This also means the deck will be easier to maintain, and will look better longer, which keeps you as the company applying it since it's out there working hard not just for the deck, but for you.

Oils are what help to moisturize the wood. Wood Tux contains a variety of excellent oils, and of course since newer boards and older boards absorb differently (as in quantity of product) it will absorb the necessary amount of product. Newer boards are still moist deep inside them. As they age, they dry out from the outside, inward. This is specifically why older neglected boards need more product than newer ones. This will be true of ANY penetrating oil based product you put on the wood.

The goal should always be to clean and protect exterior wood as soon as a structure is built, to help keep the woods natural moisturizers inside. This helps to ensure that the owner gets the longest possible life out of the wood. Wood Tux does an excellent job of helping to protect the wood's natural moisture from drying out.

Beth :groovy::groovy3::groovy2:

p.s. Bryan, if you are stripping a deck and have to defuzz it, then you would need to use a product that you apply to dry wood for the very reason you stated... the fuzz needs to be dry to be removed I would think. So perhaps a wet solution is best looked at as an opportunity for a standard wash, rather than an application following a strip job.

Thanks for the info James. I will be in touch. Henry ABR does smell one of the biggest complaints about it. Ritz, are you redoing the whole deck every 2 years rails and all for the 60%? A good example of money being spent by the homeowner yearly for maintenance is mulch! $200-$300 per yr. easy per home Deck maint. sounds like a good deal when they think about that. Joe

Still, how can an oil based product be applied to wet, or even moist wood? You would think that it would just form a film and not be absorbed. I've never used these products because, to me, it just doesn't make sense. Does anyone know how it bonds with the wood without just simply rolling off?