Sign in to follow this  
4running

Burner Issues

Hello all-

I have a Landa Machine with a propane burner. I have noticed that when the burner is on, I get some flames peaking through the hole for the input line on the side of the coil. The flame come outside of the machine for a few seconds at a time. The small flame is about an inch or two long. I also notice that the coil skin is too hot to touch around that area, but the rest of the coil skin is cool. I had my coil skin replaced by a local professional do I need to take this back apart and re-do the insulation in the coil. or re align the burner?

Kyle

Edited by 4running

I agree it should probley be redone, on the flip side of that I also have a Landa that I had the same problem with, I took it apart a few times but still had that problem, so I just kept runnin it. I don't use it anymore but is still sitting in my shop for later use mabe.

Good Luck!!!

About those flames out the side of your heater...

Seal it with ceramic wool and silicone seal, if your local service center has some scraps.. keeping the flames from burning wires is critical.

By the way, if that open-flame propane heater is next to a gasoline pressure washer, we need to have a nice long talk about safety and liability issues. Eh?

For you guys with diesel fired burners... one of the most common problems causing the "fire comes out the side opening" problem, is running the system low on fuel, or with a partially plugged filter... It causes the fuel to not ignite as easily... Then, as the fuel builds up in the heater bottom, then ignites, you get the billowing black smoke... that's when you're at risk of a fire out the side of your heater (and involing the wandering fuel can). Every diesel fired machine should have a fuel pressure gaue, to monitor the condition of your fuel supply, and fuel pump.

The local service center is supposed to know all this stuff. Eh?

CAll me with ANY heater problems... we know them well.

Jerry McMillen

800-400-2532

jerry@pressurewasher.net

mfr. of

BullBogPro Industrial Water Blasters,

VacuBerm Reclaim tools, and Sirocco Performance Vacuums.

Aloha from Palm Bay, Florida! I've got a 3700 PSI 4 GPM pressure washer with a 13 HP engine. I've using a 120V diesel burner powered by a 30 amp 350 watt generator. Everything is mounted in a trailer. I work in shopping centers and it isn't unusual for me to have 500+ feet of 3/4" LP hose and 250+ feet of HP hose on the job. This rig has been working great for almost two years now. Lately my burner starts throwing up clouds of black smoke about 30 minutes into a job and you can see flames inside the burner through the hole in the side. I turn the burner off and keep working with cold water. After about 10 minutes or so I turn the burner back on and everything is fine for another 20-30 minutes. This cycle keeps going all night. I took my rig to my repair people and they said they ran it for over an hour and it worked great. I took it back on the job and it smoked on me again.

I saw Jerry's entry on this board and he described my problem perfectly and said it was probably caused by a dirty or partially blocked fuel filter. I checked my filter and it looks clean as can be... Should I change it anyway, or could there be something else wrong with it? Help!

Don Windle

Aloha Maintenance Services, LLC

Hi guys!

Ok back in town and ripped into my machine last night. It appears as if the burner uses NO insulation at all, only on the chimney and a small donut on the water input and output of the coil to seal against the coil skin. The lower one looks like to was not reinstalled by Hotsy, DOH!

Can I insulate the whole burner?

I will have to call Southside Equipment and order some insulation, and get a new coil skin. Russ seems to be the only guy thats gives me straight answers and good advice. I almost feel like anything this Hotsy place tells me I need to run it by Russ at Southside to be sure.

BTW-

Jerry, this is an electric machine, and to be honest is not much of a danger at this time.