Sign in to follow this  
dbgpowerwash

Tire Marks

Question

A lady called about tire marks on her driveway, she says even after it gets washed she will have black tire marks all over the driveway. what can i tell her, would some sealer work best or is there somthing else that can be done?

9 answers to this question

Normally this will only happen on cheap low psi concrete such as the newer stuff they pour nowadays. I would definitely go with a sealer on the drive and see how that works out for her.

Yea a lot of the crete put down for drives these days is almost white and any marks show up really bad. If you can't get it totally clean look into some of the concrete stains they have out there now. Put some light color on it then seal it.

The rougher the surface is, the more plasticiser migration (tire marks, oil trasfer, asphalt transfer etc.) will take place. Every post above is correct. A simple solution for her (or you) would be to to spray or roll on a topical sealer that will fill the pores of the concrete and allow less migration to happen. The smoother the surface is, the less this will happen. You're not going to eliminate it 100% but cleaning the marks off is simple. Also, depending on the sealer, you can control future mineral staining, oil, gas, grease stains etc.

I'd recommend to call V-Seal and ask for Jay. Their sealers are the best.

Craig.

Tire marks are caused by hot tires and tight turns while rotating slowly.

I have had customers who complained about the marks made by contractors using her driveway to turn around in at a construction site.

Pre-treat with degreaser solution and wash with hot water. Allow to dry and apply V-Seal 101 or 102 to saturation.

This will help prevent future marks from staying in the substrate. They virtually disappear with the next rain.

Don't believe it, I didn't either but my customer swore by the results.

Rod!~