Sign in to follow this  
MMI Enterprises

And the best dressed wood stain manufacture award goes to Jake Clark!!

Question

Well maybe not but he cleans up swell enough after making all that stain to bring home to mamma..:D

Check out the Paint and Decorating Retailers article on Armstrong-Clark's wood stain. Focus is on Jake Clark directly and discusses his role with the company and the beginnings of Armstrong-Clark. :thumbsup:

Oil Based coatings for Wood, Sealant & Stain: Restore and Protect - Armstrong-Clark Co.

Jake_Clark.jpg

PDR_Armstrong_article_1-09[1].pdf

33 answers to this question

Well maybe not but he cleans up swell enough after making all that stain to bring home to mamma..:D

Now, if the poor guy could only grow some hair! Hah, just kidding Jake, I should not tease as mine is getting thin as well.

Nice article, but isn't linseed oil considered a drying oil? And is that actually a blue stained cedar shake roof on the Caldwell building in the picture?

To be honest, I'm very jealous of that office. Looks like a near antique wood floor, fieldstone interior walls, and a working desk neat as a pin. My desk is always a mess. And though just renovated, my office is a friggin' cubicle in comparison.

Jake's up in the middle of the Sierra Nevada's and I'm in the dismal plains of NJ. Wanna' trade?

To be honest, I'm very jealous of that office. Looks like a near antique wood floor, fieldstone interior walls, and a working desk neat as a pin. My desk is always a mess. And though just renovated, my office is a friggin' cubicle in comparison.

Jake's up in the middle of the Sierra Nevada's and I'm in the dismal plains of NJ. Wanna' trade?

Why on earth are you whining? You just put in new hardwood flooring and painted. You're in great shape. AND...it's St. Patties Day and you have beer....

Beth

Yes it is a wonderful picture. You can get hardwood flooring that looks like that too....very stylish.

Beth

p.s. don't forget to wipe your chin from both the envious drool and the beer! :lol: Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Hey Rick I noticed the "Billy Bass" on the wall...What it sing? Splishin and a spashin...Da da...Splishin and a spashin,,,stain'in and sandin,,da da,,stain'in and sandin da da...And the Deck builder for dummies book on the shelf...lol,,,just kiddin ya...I have to share "my" office with wify for her sewing crap she never uses..material stacked up everywhere...

Edited by MudDuck

Mr. Brooks,

That ain't no "Billy Bass", its a bad artist replica of a bluefin tuna. Real fish live in the ocean, not in fresh water!

Same with my wife. The eaves are filled with costumes, teaching junk, and woven baskets. So goes life...

Rick, First post ever on Beth's wonderful website. And I have a beer cooler ready for the 5:00 o'clock beer - PM of course,:beerchug: in this wonderful office.

Cheers and Happy St. Patty's Day, Jake

Rick, First post ever on Beth's wonderful website. And I have a beer cooler ready for the 5:00 o'clock beer - PM of course,:beerchug: in this wonderful office.

Cheers and Happy St. Patty's Day, Jake

Jake,

Well that just about puts the veritable icing on the cake. You really know how to hurt a guy....!

Now, if the poor guy could only grow some hair! Hah, just kidding Jake, I should not tease as mine is getting thin as well.

Nice article, but isn't linseed oil considered a drying oil? And is that actually a blue stained cedar shake roof on the Caldwell building in the picture?

Yes considered drying oil but somewhat depends on processing and/or additions of metalic dryers. They can be boiled (dryers added), or blown/bodied. Stand oil or sun thickened takes longer to dry. Mix a number of oils and ya can get something special..

As example, century old oil paintings are still in process of drying out. :)

Yes considered drying oil but somewhat depends on processing and/or additions of metalic dryers. They can be boiled (dryers added), or blown/bodied. Stand oil or sun thickened takes longer to dry. Mix a number of oils and ya can get something special..

Kevin you beat me to it! I make my own stain and linseed oil is one of the main ingredients! I learned the "art" of making my own stain from my great uncle three months before he passed away from cancer and so far my stain has out performed TWP, and alot of other stains but havent had a chance to see how it stacks up against AC.

If I had an office like that I'd work 20 hours a day!

"Linseed is a drying oil" Yes, that's what is being said and that is what I said. The term can be as cut and dry as ya like....lol :)

PS- Here ya go James: Drying oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

..note how it's all about air oxidation/polymerzation rather than moisture evaporation that some may think about or write in articles..

Semi-drying oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

----more references----------

Lin-Speed.com - Gunstock Finish & Care Oil for Valued Gunstocks New & Old

"Ordinary linseed oil never really dries. The "GB" Lin-Speed refinement process removes the non-drying linseed parts (called Foots)."

---------

WoodworkDetails - Linseed Oil

"Pure linseed oil is a non-drying oil, and therefore is not a practical finish for wood. This type of oil may be available in health-food stores, but is not intended for wood.

Boiled linseed oil is not actually boiled, but has been processed (by oxidation, or adding metallic thinners) to speed its drying time. The remainder of this page refers to "boiled" linseed oil."

---------------

..note yer polymerized via heat only is what is called 'stand' oil or 'polymerized'... Doesn't dry like a boiled/blown version. Is also what I have always suspected as the problem behind that fiasco of another stain manufacture.. Never did hear a reasonable answer to why all that went down..

But anyway the order would go as such on the dry scale:

Pure unprocessed linseed oil (flax seed oil..doesn't dry)

Sun thickened (artists did this long ago..drys fast enough to do a painting over time)

Heat thickened (polymerized/stand oil..long dry times)

Boiled or blown (includes metalic dryers and or is oxidized)

Hope this helps...foregive if something is off, I am but a layman myself in this.. :)

Edited by MMI Enterprises

C'mon...back to offices! Rick, I think you started this....No wait, was that Kevin who posted Jake in his office? In any case, I think it's time we all confess our sins and commit to an all out "Office-Off"! I know I'm not the only one who wants a glimpse of Kevin's office...

Kevin,

The article starts out:

It sounds too good to be true. But,

in fact, there is a wood stain avail-

able that combines the effective-

ness of the drying concentrate of a

typical stain with two non-drying

oils, which soak into the wood

and actually improve the condition of

the wood.

I'm not sure what a "drying concentrate" is, but if I am not mistaken, A-C stains are a hybrid of boiled linseed (drying) and paraffinic (non-drying) oils.

Magazine writers often get confused and have little understanding of the subject. From experience, they usually do not review the copy with their source(s) prior to publication.

I agree Rick..no presumption here on what component the writer is calling a drying or non-drying oil.. Just addressing topics or thoughts posed here. I imagine the product has a multitude of seperate raw ingredients.

ps- btw, Jake said I was square on..anyone think that using that kinda language makes him one?..haha :)

I'll bet there is a second work area...my desk is sort of L shaped...

An oil lamp would look nice on the desk...or maybe a lamp made from reclaimed lumber with a rawhide shade... Something really rustic to accent the floor....

Beth