Sign in to follow this  
CLASSICPW

Picky people

Question

This is my second year in the business. My first year, even though I researched it thoroughly, was a learning experience, but I did great work, didn't low ball and had no complaints, only praise. This year, however, is driving me to quit. It's been a little over a month and already Ive had 2 customers complain and almost not pay me, even though the work looked fantastic and one possible lawsuit. It's driving me crazy. Are people all of the sudden just very picky or what. Is anybody else experiencing this?

11 answers to this question

My main work is concrete cleaning, and I always explain to the customer what will and will not come out. This way they are well aware of what to expect at the completion of work. I have had customers look at spots or wear and tear of the surface being cleaned and they will ask, "what about this?" I explain whatever needs to be said about the situation so that they agree it is as good as it is going to get.

With the exception of a couple of verbally agreed upon small side jobs, I have not experienced anybody not willing to pay, or any possible lawsuits.

I dont care how good you are at your job, you will always have customer that drives you crazy. You will have to go out of your way to make them happy and sometimes that will not work.

Last year I had a huge deck to do. It turned out like crap. I had another contractor to go out and look at the deck. He felt I did nothing wrong it was the color I used. I used a clear with a slight tint of gray. I also told the customer not to go with it. (the customer is always right!) right.....

Well this year I was going to redo it for them at my cost. They called 2 weeks ago and I pu them on the schedule. I just called them last night to move them to another day because of a conflict I had. The lady got pissed off and started to yell at me for the 3rd time. Her husband got on the phone and I had a civil conversation with him. He understood why I needed to reschedule and then proceeded to tell me I would have to move these huge concrete planters and statues off the deck. This deck is a little over 2500 sq ft. Last year his employees did it. In my contract I stated if my company did the moving it was a $75.00 per hour charge to move it in one hour increments.

I told him of that and he said he would not pay. I then told him that I was sorry I would not be able to finish his deck.

This was the hardest decision I had to make not to finish it. I still mde money and even if I did do the deck I would have made money. I had "padded" the estimate higher than I should have. I felt I was going to have a problem with these people. I was told by them they had problems with other contractors not completing work before. Now I know why, They were very picky.

You cannot please everyone and the best thing to do is go out of your way to try to please them. Mark in your book and never go back again to the ones that are the biggest pain in the a......

John brings up a great point. Neighbors also know they are picky as well. If you can please them it usually goes a long way and you end up with more work. With that being said, there is one in every bunch. It is simply human nature and unfortunately a cost of being in business. I just recently learned that according to the Consumer Fraud Act that any job over $200 needs a written contract with a start and finish date on it. Any changes to the original require a change form with at least two signatures. Any violation to this act can result in an award of up to 3 times the damages. Again, the cost of being in business.

I have toyed around with the idea of posting this type of question in the past, and this may a good thread to put it in. If anyone feels like it will be offensive, I'm sure a moderator will remove it; good sense should tell me that if I'm apprehensive at all then I shouldn't post it to begin with, but I think it's a valid question on evaluating customers. Here goes.

Is there any group of people you feel are "better" customers than others? For example, do you feel more satisfied when your customers are very wealthy and have elaborate homes, or average income where the homes are standard (I know this will vary with geography, but the principle should remain). Or, is there any particular "race" of people (I'm not sure how comfortable I am with that classification, but atleast everyone will know what I'm talking about). For example, my favorite type of customer is a middle to high class black man or woman. I have found (in my area) that they usually know what they want and they let you know ahead of time. Also, they express their gratitude and awe of a job well done with concrete claims like "I had no idea it could look this good" or "my gutters are actually white under there!" I guess my second runner up would be upper-middle aged and upper middle-classed white women. They have similar claims in the end, but they aren't as forthcoming with their expectations up front. Also, it takes a little prodding to get them to realize that there are problems with things like the trim and gutters (they usually just see the mold on the patio and sides of the house). Third would be the busy man (any age) who is always on his way to or from work and always has to call someone. He'll pretty much give free reign on the house and say "everything looks good" when the job's done. Good money, but not much in the way of feedback. Fourth would be single white men. The absolutely bottom of the list, the customer I know I will have the most trouble with, the one that I almost dread when I hear the voice......indian women or asians in general. Don't get me wrong, I'm around asians all the time (taekwondo school) and my best friend's wife is asian (my wife and I love her dearly), but for the most part, when it comes to being customers, they are the most ambiguous with their desires, the most picky when the job is done, and the most apt to ask for extras in the middle of the job. When I try to tell them there will be an inflated cost for the extra work, I usually hear something like "it's not worth having ______ done if you can't do ______. " You can insert anything for the ______ you want (gutters, roof, windows, deck, etc.). It's mostly because of this type of customer that I changed my approach to business and offer an all-inclusive cleaning so there can be no dispute or changes and they know the cost of everything up front. And when the job is done, they just look around and either nod saying "okay" or say nothing at all. Maybe a communication issue, but it still feels good to hear some type of feedback. I would have to say the Indian (from India, not the Americas) women are the worst of that group, though.

Single women, women who live with other female roomates, older white couples who harken from the depression and WWII era and appreciate a "hard days work" (primarily the men over the women) are all good customers.

I feel I should point out that all of my jobs are priced solely upon the condition of the house and property, not the people who live there. All of my pricing is indiscriminately set and is fair, so there can be no judgement about my like of one type of customer paying more than another based upon these obversations. The only thing that affects price is house size, tasks involved, and the condition (how dirty).

I know this is a long post, but I'm just curious if anyone else has any similar encounters in their work.

No one wants to touch this one...

I have had a couple run ins with people from Russia. I worked with a girl from Russia. At least once a week she was on the phone argueing with someone about her bill... Phone bills, electricity... etc.

We sold our 2nd house to a Russian couple. The called and demanded that we replace the door that we stole. We never had a door in the doorway they were talking about.

One more... Our local grocery store finally stopped doing business with a couple of India women. Every time they came in they tried to mis-use their food stamps, then complained when the store would let them.

I don't feel that I am prejudice... I just think that it is reality that people from different cultures act differently. You can ignore it or use it to "profile" your customers.

To be fair... I work with a middle aged white guy that is constantly on the phone trying to "negotiate" his bills.

I actually have had to point out to a customer that my machine was a Pressure Washer and that it didn't caulk, it didn't paint, it didn't remodel and it didn't replace crappy sideing, I think I lost that account, but you know what, I don't miss it.

Gav

I have to agree that some cultures are tough to work with.....mid eastern are the hardest. I have one guy that calls every year....has called for 5 yrs straight to see if i will do the job cheaper than the original quote. Every year i tell him no....and every year he goes without having the deck done. What I dont get is you come to this country...dont pay taxes for a long while....and still want it for nothing.....go home.

Andy

My favorite "picky people" are the retirees. God Love them one and all. They'll call you and ask why aren't you sealing my deck, when it's a torential downpour going on outside. They are the first to call you if a bird craps on the newly applied sealer. And the Big One, they are the first to pass on to other seniors the satisfaction they have with me when I finish their wood care and the value they got with their dollar.

God Love em.

reed

My best customers are the homes worth 100k to 300k. Townhouses and single family suburbian homes. My worst customers, by far, are the wealthy. I've given a dozen estimates so far this season to million dollar plus homes. These people literally clutch their chest and fall to the ground when they see how much it will be for a 1000 sq ft deck. These are what we call the house rich. People who have a $8,000 dollar a month mortgage and not a pot to **** in.......they are sad. You give an estimate to a TH deck or a 500 sq ft SFH deck and all you hear is "when can you start." As far as race I have had no problems. I know the areas that harbor the white and black trash and I tell them I'm too busy try the yellow pages. I also know the wealthy areas and I cringe when they call me, but I always do the estimates in hopes of getting that $2000 plus job. Reed's right about retirees, you please them and they tell everyone, but they also nitpick.

The only person I've had complain about anything this year was a middle eastern man, and it was a valid complaint (I'd missed some cobwebs and dirt inside the portico at the front of the house). I fixed it that day, and he called to say thanks. Most folks are appreciative, some more than others. On the other hand, I've never met some of my customers, so I don't know if they were appreciative or not...I assume so, since the checks always show up in the mail within a few days.

You're right about the elderly...they can be picky, but they are so appreciative of a good job.