Sign in to follow this  
814jeffw

Downstreaming Decks?

Question

I need some advice on downstreaming decks. I have never downstreamed before and would like to add this to my application methods. I don't like using the same tanks for different chemicals. I am out of room for another tank for deck cleaner (sodium percarbonate).

I would appreciate some assistance in setting my machine up for downstreaming. I have a 4.6 GPM pump 3000 PSI. I am also using a dual lance that has a soap tip on it already. Running 200' hose.

Injector recommendation and mix ratio would be so helpful.

Jeff

23 answers to this question

Jeff,

A bit confused by your post, are you considering downsteaming sodium percarbonate wood cleaners?

If so, I'm not too sure that will work. Percarb wood cleaners are generally designed to be mixed at 6 to 8 oz. per gal. for the correct concentration on the wood. I'm not sure that they can mixed in a high enough ratio for downstreaming.

Yea, I could imagine the problems that would bring on, especially anything strong. But I don't strip decks,...I turn those away. I'm talking about using percarbonate and water for maintenance cleaning and removing simple graying.

Jeff

Thanks Rick, but that is what I was considering. I didn't know if I could downstream it at correct ratio or not,...sounds like maybe not.

Jeff

Jeff,

We downstream just about everything now. We mix stripper as hot as we can make it, and use an adjustable stainless injector from e-spec (SSS). Not sure what the actual draw rate is, but it's sized for the next step down for our pumps (TS2021), so it draws better. we also have used less expensive injectors from Northern Tool and PT(I believe they're General Pump brand), and they work fine also. It seems that the stripper is adjusted easily, but the Oxalic sometimes poses a problem. I like to see quick results with Oxalic, but downstreaming never seems to get there. Usually, we'll have to wait until the deck dries for it to lighten up. I think this year I'm setting up the shurflo for induction Ox use, as we use it on concrete quite alot also. Percarb is next to impossible to downstream for stripping, but will work OK for maintenance washing.

We still keep a Shurflo setup onboard for direct application of chems. many times I've set up and downstreamed, and had to ultimately pull out the dedicated chem line on the Shurflo. PITA, but necessary for tough strip jobs.

I don't like using the same tanks for different chemicals. I am out of room for another tank for deck cleaner (sodium percarbonate).

As for extra room for tanks and such, why the need for a tank for Percarb? We never mix up more than we can use on a particular job, as the stuff loses its effectiveness in a couple of hours after mixing anyway. If we use it, we will mix small batches in a five gallon bucket and downstream for cleaning.

In my personal experience, downstreaming NAOH based chems always and I will underline that word Always has created more problems than time saved.

Food for thought...

Rod!~

I don't know Rod, I haven't had any bad luck downstreaming NAOH products.

In my personal experience, downstreaming NAOH based chems always and I will underline that word Always has created more problems than time saved.

Food for thought...

Rod!~

Rod,

Are your problems created by overspray on painted surfaces etc?

For 200' downstreaming would it be advisable to get the next size down injector, as Mike points out? Is the long distance why you do this Mike?

Thanks,

Jeff

I don't know Rod, I haven't had any bad luck downstreaming NAOH products.

Not to start an argument here, I am talking about the paint coming off of window trim, spotting paint finishes, discoloration of aluminum siding, spots on the leaves of plants, dead grass, burned pine needles...etc.

Anyone else may have been fortunate in downstreaming, but I am not willing to do it to begin with. The liability is to high, besides, customers remember the little stuff and call someone else the next time. Not worth the risk. After all, it's THEIR property.

Jeff,

I am not saying don't, just saying what has been a problem for us. for what it's worth....

Rod!~

Not to start an argument here, I am talking about the paint coming off of window trim, spotting paint finishes, discoloration of aluminum siding, spots on the leaves of plants, dead grass, burned pine needles...etc.

Anyone else may have been fortunate in downstreaming, but I am not willing to do it to begin with. The liability is to high, besides, customers remember the little stuff and call someone else the next time. Not worth the risk. After all, it's THEIR property.

Jeff,

I am not saying don't, just saying what has been a problem for us. for what it's worth....

Rod!~

I can pretty much agree with this assesment Ron - I've been fortunate enough that most of the deck work is up against a vinyl siding home. A painted home I did - I taped plastic to the whole side of the home to prevent getting stripper on the paint - I haven't had much of a problem with shrubs and I have rinsed off some nasty heavy duty stripper straight off the sides with some shrubs sitting there - and no problems - just did copious amounts of rinsing.

Not wanting to scare anyone just keeping it real, but did hear a story a couple years back from another contractor in another state who does this and ended up replacing windows on an entire house (no joke) due to spotting up the window trim on the back.

We prefer to learn from the mistakes of others rather than repeat them. You can spray in a more controlled fashion with very little extra job time. (no not a pump up)

Beth

:cup: A good thread starts with coffee :cup:

Beth or Rod, what kind of pump do you use to apply chems and your sealer?

We have two types currently; PumpTec and Delevan for chemical applications, and we have Titan sprayers for stain application.

The chem sprayers only apply cleaners and strippers, pump ups are used for applying neutralizer

Rod!~

some advice please,coming from a painting backround I've mostly used my pw at full pressure!!!now I'm trying to change my ways.my question is why can't you use SH to clean everything from vynal to wood?

Sodium Hypochlorite I assume. Using proper chemicals at proper ratios will give you superior results over high pressure cleaning. Sh is a very versatile product, and is in most house wash recipes. But it has limitations on wood, and I suggest not using it if you're not familiar with it on wood. Sodium Percarbonate is probably the safest bet on wood, especially if you're not accustomed to the various other cleaners.

Use the search feature, lots of info here.

Jeff

A shurflo/delavan type pump is so effective, why worry about downstreaming?

Just use different 5 gallon pails to put each chemical into and a good spray wand at the end of the hose and you'll be able to apply chems quicker than you can use them if you want to.

Downstreaming chems is nice - because if you are 300 feet away from the trailer - adjusting pressure in the line is the difference between applying chems or rinsing. Having pumps is just another factor - and now you have to make a whole lot of chem and a dedicated chem tank. Roof cleaning - pumps and chem tanks are a necessary evil - but if you can get away with out them for stripping - why not?

We have two types currently; PumpTec and Delevan for chemical applications, and we have Titan sprayers for stain application.

The chem sprayers only apply cleaners and strippers, pump ups are used for applying neutralizer

Rod!~

how do you avoid the cloud when applying stain with the titan. I have a 440 and no matter how far down I have the dial, or what tip, I still get the deadly mist.

Just wondering, has anyone ever tried putting a three way hose barb in the downstream line. The third barb would be exposed to air, and would maybe make a foamy spray because of the air induction? I noticed that when you remove the line from the bucket, it will spray foamier solution for a second or two after the chemical line is cleared of product,...figured it's the air.

Jeff

Edited by 814jeffw