Sign in to follow this  
bulletproof

chemical ratios

Question

In my reading, whenever I read about chemicals I see things like 5 to 1 ratio or 8 to 1 etc. Is there a chart of some sort that I can get in order to find out what the real world equivilants to these ratios are(i.e cups, pints gallons etc..) If not then how do I know what size measurements I would be using when mixing my chemicals

43 answers to this question

I have tried to find just that too and little luck however some of the very old cook books do break some of that down.

oz to pint

pint to quart

quart to gallon

Where it gets confusing to many is are you using powder or liquid chemicals?

Jon

it makes no diffrence if your talking 1 oz or 100000000 lbs

the ratio stays the same.

1 oz of chem to 5 oz of water is 1 to 5

5 oz chem to 1oz of water is 5 to 1

Now this is the tricky part that a lot of people get messed up.

Dont confuse weight and volume.

When you buy a powdered chem and it tell's you to mix 8 oz of chem to 1 gal of water, some people would use a measureing cup and a 5 gal bucket. This would be WRONG.

Water is measured by volume[in this case], dry chem is measured by weight.

Two diffrent things.

What weigh's more, a lb of feather's or a lb of gold?

both weigh the same but the feather's will take up a lot more volume.

I bet less then 1% of guy's who use powdered chems have a scale. Then wonder why other people love a chem that they cant get to work well.

A good exsample of problem's comeing from a mis-informed pressure washer is when they use a X-JET.

Everyone tell's the next guy how they mix their chem and how it work's.

Well, guy A telling guy B to mix 1 gal of chem to 4 gal of water and use his x-jet to apply. Well guy A has a 3 gal per min wash unit and guy B has a 5 gal per min unit.

They will have diffrent DRAW RATES AND WONT WORK THE SAME.

Guy B will need to allmost double the amount of chem. He is shooting allmost twice the amount of water in the same min.

Next is guy's who only use water to keep their deck cleaners/strippers wet. This just deluites the cleaner. You must keep it wet with MORE CHEM.

RATIO "a way of concisely showing the realationship between two quantities of something"

Another exsample of a ratio.

Say your downstreamer has a draw rate of 20 %

You have a 5 gal per min pump.

in one min you pumped 5 gal of water and added 20% chem.

20% of 5 gal per min would be 1 gal.

So you had a 5 to 1 ratio.

The pump pumped 5 gal and drew in 1 gal so a total of 6 gal shot out the tip in one min. 5 to 1 makes 6 total.

Most people dont understand how you can get 6 gal per min from a 5 gal per min pump but it will.[draw rate]

now have i helped you or just messed you all up?

a pinch is less then a smidgen and a pinch is only used for cooking. A smigen is for measureing stuff at home depot.

a dash is way bigger then a pinch and is also just for cooking.

A dab is for measuring liquids and is way bigger then a drop.

Now i could be a hair off but im probley only a touch off.

Dollops are only for thicked fluids and are bigger then a bit.

You can nick time or kiss the 9 ball You can shave a hair off

You dollop sour cream. You only need 2 fingers to measure a pinch,smidgen or a touch but you need a spoon or brush to measure a dollop or a dab.

A nick is smaller then a pinch but is used for measurement's on diffrent surfaces. Both can be used on your face,or your other surface

THE END.

:D

Ron pointed out something that many people miss. That is the 1 to 5, or 5 to 1. In a modern and perfect world, the chemical should always come first, whatever the ratio shall be.

I have not seen any chems where they wanted 5 to 1, as that would defeat the purpose of the Concentrate, but I am sure they do exist.

Now here is something that may really help some people out and explain it a little better.

Let's say that you have a Concentrate Cleaner and it says mix it 1 to 20. Well what does that mean to a lot of people? To most it will mean that if you want to use 1 ounce chemical to 20 ounces water, then you have the right mix. That is correct, but for larger batches than that, do it this way.

There are 128 ounces to a gallon, so...

128 divided by 20 = 6.4 You would need 6.4 ounces of concentrate to one gallon of water for the correct mix.

If you wanted to make a five gallon bucket, then it would be

128 x 5 = 640 divided by 20 = 32 ounce of concentrate for 5 gallons.

The most common mistake in mixing liquid chemicals, is not using enough water. As an example, people see the 1 to 20 and put in their measuring cup 1 ounce of chemical and then the rest water until the 20 ounce line. It should really be the 21 ounce line.

One spray bottle of this would not be to critical, but when you get into big batches, it really counts.

Sorry for the long post, must be my longest to date, but hope it helps.

For those using hd80, I got a triple beam balance scale and measured out the recommended weight for full strength. It came out to be just at 4 cups to equal 2 pounds. 2lbs per 5 gallons is maximum rec. mix.

Just to add my findings.

Reed

I hear ya Tony,

I took it from my stepson's room and already put it back. I had to clean it first:)

Hey how do you feel about the e-machines computers? Towers are bare bones for 849 with a pent IV.

Reed

i dont think reed get's it.

A scale like that can be used to measure a lot of things.

If you put that scale in the trunk of a new BMW you might need to a lot of exsplaining to a traffic cop.

Ron P. by now I bet you got Reed searching his stepson's room for white powder!

I need an aspirin:confused:

Jon

I was looking at the x-jet proportioner chart on Steven Rowlette's site today , and wondered a few things.

What are the color levels for?

In the sub-heading under the sign it says water to detergent mixture, is this what the ratios on the chart represent or is it detergent to water?

Is the ratio measurement ounces?

Reed:

For $849.00 you can put together close to a top of the line Pentium 4 machine with some pretty nice bells and whistles.

Does that $849.00 come with a monitor?

How fast is the P4 (Ghz)?

What other features?

I've never had any problems with the emachines I've purchased at work. We have several systems, and several monitors, and have never had a problem.

You're right, if you're not interested in putting together your own machine, the prices are great!

post a poll vote on this one................i think parts of this thread could be edited and put in the libary....and Ron's at a pinch could go in the humor.

just my two cents....

1(one) is always the chemical. The proportioner chart for the X-Jet lists the GPM's of your pump and the extreme left hand column gives you the color and dilution rate for the gpm of your pump. The first entry in the color column says "open" which means there is no proportioner in the hose barb.

We want to be real clear here, since we are talking about both x-jets and chem application and also something as strong and caustic as HD-80 in the same thread.

HD-80 should NOT be applied with an X-jet or other downstream appication method, for the reasons Ron P outlined early on.

1. it will effect the ratio and throw off the results

2. and more importantly you have LESS control over a hazardous material.

Please guys and gals, work safely. Use a pump up or electric airless sprayer with a shurflow pump. Control the application, and where the product is applied. Never cut corners on saftey.

The same holds true for applying an acid. Don't use a downstream method or x-jet.

Now you can use downstream or xjet with efc-38 if you are doing a house wash. No problem. For a deck, personally, we don't. We stick to the pump up or sprayer with shurflow pump.

We love the xjet too, but not where deck stripping or cedar home stripping is concerned...

Be safe...

Beth & Rod

p.s.. Paul let me know which items you think should be moved, and what type of poll you want to see. You can either start a new thread and poll, or let me know and I can add one. BB

Hey Reed,

If you want to start a thread in the pc area about the emachine, it could make good reading. I'd be happy to discuss pros and cons of the mass merchandised machines.

Ron P,

I got it, the green leafy stuff was not returned to him:) Need to talk to that boy about his quality, he needs help.

The white powdered stuff, I have sworn off for good. At one stage of my life I liked it too much. Lost a brother to it, won't loose me.

I will post in the pc section. I want some good input.

Reed

i think a article on chemical ratios would be a good reference for the library,similar to rons and oneness.......i was joking about putting rons in the humor.

and it looks like people have voted on this thread(which i meant) :)

cheers paul.