Sign in to follow this  
John Doherty

Tar

Anyone know of a good product to remove tar from concrete? Hot water and pressure usually get this up for me, but not this one. It's the stuff they use to waterproof building foundations with, looks like it spilled and someone tried to clean it off with a rag.

Any help appreciated.

Best Regards,

JD

Diesel fuel, pour a little on and lit it soak though and it will break it up, pressure wash off.

Or you can spend hours with a 0° working at it, chipping it away and possibly the concrete too.

If you know the product, then check the label for clean up procedures. This will most likely be a solvent application rather than a degreaser.

I have never needed anything more than hot water to remove tar, and for the stubborn spots, I used low pressure and high heat to stay on it, but not tear up the concrete.

Diesel fuel contains some heavy organic contaminants and oils. K1 Kerosene would probably be a good choice for getting the tar up to begin with, and will (most likely) do a decent job of lifting the diesel contaminants. You could possibly flush the area with acetone instead.....there will be no residue from it.

If the above sounded anymore uncertain or ambiguous (all of the "probablys" and "most likely s") it would have no merit at all!! :)

Ryan H.