Sign in to follow this  
RPetry

Dueling Shurflos

For years, had a portable single Shurflo pump with tank for applying caustics and acids to wood. Always carried a new backup pump in the truck as it was guaranteed the working pump would quit in the middle of a job, sometime during the wood season. Happened earlier this Spring, and needed a new Shurflo for backup.

In conversation with Tom Vogel of ACR Products, learned that there are different types of seals for Shurflo's. The typical Viton seals are fine for acids, but may not be compatible with the sodium hydroxides, sodium percarbonates, and sodium hypochloride caustics that we use for wood. Tom had pumps in stock with seals made for caustics, and a hopefully great idea.

On a rain day last week, ran up to ACR for a custom conversion. His main mechanic did all the plumbing and electrical work.

I like the premise, will see how both pumps hold up with seals compatible with opposing pH chemicals.

I Likes it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had to change mine over yesterday. Had to use a pump sprayer to finish the job. Didn't have the right connections for the devlan replacement on the trailer. Let us know how well this fairs.

Edited by Richard

For years, had a portable single Shurflo pump with tank for applying caustics and acids to wood. Always carried a new backup pump in the truck as it was guaranteed the working pump would quit in the middle of a job, sometime during the wood season. Happened earlier this Spring, and needed a new Shurflo for backup.

In conversation with Tom Vogel of ACR Products, learned that there are different types of seals for Shurflo's. The typical Viton seals are fine for acids, but may not be compatible with the sodium hydroxides, sodium percarbonates, and sodium hypochloride caustics that we use for wood. Tom had pumps in stock with seals made for caustics, and a hopefully great idea.

On a rain day last week, ran up to ACR for a custom conversion. His main mechanic did all the plumbing and electrical work.

I like the premise, will see how both pumps hold up with seals compatible with opposing pH chemicals.

Viton is GREAT for SHC - BAD for Caustics like Sodium and Potassium Hydroxide !

EDPM is indicated for Caustic Use, and pretty good for Sodium Hypoichlorite too.

So, a good dual purpose caustic/chlorine use shurflo pump will use EDPM as opposed to Viton.

Here is a chemical compatability chart Fluid (such as Selenic Acid) Compatibility Chart with elastomers

As you can see, EDPM is a better choice for a dual purpose pump ?

Edited by Apple Roof Cleaning

What is the average life span of a Shurflo??

I would like to hear froma few people, what the life span of it is and also what you do to get that long life out of it??

I have tried shurflo, flowjet, fimco over and over again and can get only a few weeks to a few months. The one that held up the longest was the cheapest one, the fimco and I got a whole 3 months out of it. I can live with that but this last shurflo 4 weeks and the motor quit. It seems like it is always something, I just can't get much life out of them.

As soon as I get done using it I run 5 gallons of water thru it to flush it our. What more can I do??

Booya! It's a beautiful thing!

Beth

I would like to hear froma few people, what the life span of it is and also what you do to get that long life out of it??

I have tried shurflo, flowjet, fimco over and over again and can get only a few weeks to a few months. The one that held up the longest was the cheapest one, the fimco and I got a whole 3 months out of it. I can live with that but this last shurflo 4 weeks and the motor quit. It seems like it is always something, I just can't get much life out of them.

As soon as I get done using it I run 5 gallons of water thru it to flush it our. What more can I do??

Are you exceeding the duty cycle of the pump ?

Tell me about how you use it ?

If you look at the Chemical chart I posted in this thread, Viton is an iffy thing with Caustics,'SOME Viton is ok, depends on what the Viton is combined with ?

This is a Delavan Fat Boy PowerFlo Diaphragm Pumps

It does use Viton Valves, but like the chart says, Viton can work.

EDPM is the elastomer of choice for Caustics, but I think you MAY be burning up pumps because of the motors ?

In THAT case, the Delevan Fat Boy is your pump.

It has a MUCH better motor.

I use it just for spot spraying or when I need a stronger mix just regular house wash, soap and chlorine. I just run it 2-5 min at a time. I bet that last one that just went bad didn't have 1 hour of pump time on it. I used it on 5 small jobs.

Stop flushing them.Sometimes its worse to introduce air than leave the material in the pump.It's not helping your life span anyway.

Think the air is drying the seals out??

I Likes it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had to change mine over yesterday. Had to use a pump sprayer to finish the job. ...

Richard,

One nice thing with this setup is you already have a backup mounted, plumbed, wired, and ready to go if a pump burns out.

Nice setup on the shurflo can you use both at the same time also.

Chris,

Good point. Great for flooding acid on wood.

I use it just for spot spraying or when I need a stronger mix just regular house wash, soap and chlorine. I just run it 2-5 min at a time. I bet that last one that just went bad didn't have 1 hour of pump time on it. I used it on 5 small jobs.

Maybe it is TIME you consider an Air Diapraghm Pump ?

ONE air diapraghm pump will replace BOTH of these pumps.

My pump is 14 GPM, but I clean big roofs.

Yoiu can easily get by with a 1/4 inch Air Diapraghm pump that is way more chemical proof.

I have seen these pumps under 200.00 all day long!

You will need a small air compressor to run it, but so what ?

It will WORK for you, and make you money :)

This is what you need, a 3/8 KYNAR pump with Santroprene Diapraghms, or Teflon, whatever costs less ?

http://www.dultmeier.com/catpages.asp?page=E0048

Edited by Apple Roof Cleaning

Downstreaming is much easier.

Depends on the chemical concentration you neeed ?

I know nothing about wood or caustic work, or the chemical concentrations required.

But I do know a dedicated chemical pump will give you exactly what you mix, every time.

Depends on the chemical concentration you neeed ?

I know nothing about wood or caustic work, or the chemical concentrations required.

But I do know a dedicated chemical pump will give you exactly what you mix, every time.

That's why we prefer pumps to downstreaming. You also have better control of the area that gets hit with your chemicals.

Beth