Sign in to follow this  
svp07

Sodium Dichlor?

Question

I was looking for some feedback on this chem, which I posted in another thread. I told a pool guy I was looking for some liquid sodium hypochlorite and the I did not want the calcium stuff cause of its solubility and rinsability. He said it was like powder bleach.

And like Paul-UK suggested, I do not have an over abundance of chems and am trying to get rid of them. I am new and I am researching and learning. I appreciate all the feedback, it really helps.

Steve

Previous post on another thread:

Is anyone using the sodium dichlor? I was talking to a pool guy yesterday and he suggested it.

Steve

28 answers to this question

Quote:

Originally Posted by svp07

Is anyone using the sodium dichlor? I was talking to a pool guy yesterday and he suggested it.

Steve

great in hot tubs.....sounds like he has a over abundance of chems and is trying to move them on......

this is what i posted in the other thread....

i never sugested you had over abundance of chems...sodium dichlor is more expensive to buy than s\h....paul.

Hey Paul-UK,

Thanks for the reply. Here in Northern NJ it is very hard to find a deal on S/H. A pool store wants to sell it to me at about $7 a gallon. I went to the manufacturer and I can't do business with them unless I am going to spend over $5k a year...not reasonable. Dichlor is about $60 for 25 lbs. I am just wondering if it is effective and how to mix it. I knonw the ph is low at about 7 and am not sure if that is a big deal. S/h is 13/14 I think.

Thanks for the help,

Steve

In my area (southwest Ohio) in the summer almost all stores carry liquid pool shock (grocery stores, K-Mart, Wal-Mart, etc.).

Like Dale said, check out other pool supply stores - should be able to get a much better price (at least under $3 per gallon).

My problem with crystals is the amount of time it takes to mix it (dissolve it). Most likely would need about 1-2 pounds (or more) to equal 1 gallon of liquid pool.

Hey Crites,

If you find a decent source I'd appreciate a heads-up on it. I'm looking for something as well. For some reason none of the pool supply chains, Walmart, Kmart,etc. stores contain concentrated chlorine products.

Ryan H.

We get it from a guy in Moultrie,Ga $1.25 a gallon. A little to far for you guys to drive though.

Call around to chemical supply companies ask for Chlorine 12%(liquid pool shock) or Naoci 12%.

Around here, it's simply known as liquid chlorine. I get mine from a super center type grocery store, 10%, four per case, for about $8-9 per case.

Hey Squirtgun, can you email me this guys info.... I have someone I know that goes to Tifton every now and then that could drop by. Thanks!

Hey Ryan, found Peach State Cleaners in Atlanta that will sell it for $6.25/gal. Still researching other places.

Jim Crites

CritesExteriors, LLC

LaGrange, Ga.

critesexteriors@bellsouth.net

Hey Ryan, found Peach State Cleaners in Atlanta that will sell it for $6.25/gal. Still researching other places.

:hmmm:

That seems REALLY high. $6.25/gal for 10 - 12% sodium hypochlorite? If you cut that with water and make it 6%, like that in stores, that comes out to about $3.13 per gallon of regular ol' bleach....3 times what an expensive grocery store will charge. They must have bumped their head :) .

Of course, they did have that big fire at the chlorine company last week....maybe that has affected local prices.

Thanks for the info!

RYan H.

I don't know what is going on up here in NJ. I bought a case of 12% for just under $30; don't know why I did but I can't find S/H at 12% annywhere, still calling but they wont give $ over the phone. I meet with a producer and he said his raw material costs went up and a lot of pool centers only use the calcium stuff and dichlor.

And I push onwards in this crusade....

Steve

My price here NJ just went up to $10.50 for a 5 gallon container. I was paying 9.00. The guy I am buying it from is charging the "normal" person $16.50 for 5 gallons

The price difference for chlorine around the country is pretty amazing. For those of you who live up North 2 to 3 dollars a gallon seems to be the norm where as most of us down here in Florida are paying less than one dollar a gallon. Of course its all realitive, you guys up North are getting double and some times triple the rates that us Floridians are able to get.

What sucks is for those of you in Georgia. I would have never thought it would be that difficult to get a good price on liquid chlorine. It seems that the pressure washing rates in Georgia are about the same as they are here in Florida, but I guess you all do have cheaper gas than us. Some people here in the Jacksonville area who have huge gas guzzelers will actually drive up into Kingsland to fill their fuel tanks up.

Keep in mind that chlorine prices aren't related to pressure washing prices...this industry is a very small portion of the business that the pool places do. For every contractor who walks in wanting to fill 10 or 20 jugs of chlorine, probably 100 or more homeowners come in to fill their 2 or 3 jugs. The price variance doesn't make sense to me. I could see it being a little more expensive the further north you go, since you have less pools, and less time per year to use them..thus less demand for chems...but I can't see a difference between $1.00/gallon and $6.00/gallon (or more).

I get 12% SH delivered right to my house for $2.15 a gallon. I currently get 55 gal. at a time but they will deliver as much as I could ever need once a week. Co. is Water Guard for those in my area that travel to Garner and RTP to purchase theres.

Ryan --->> Here's Your Atlanta Connection .....

I might be off a bit cuz I haven't looked at the sign recently,(I gotta have it, and they always treat me right so I don't really look the price too much) but last I seem to remember, Sunbrite Supply in Lawrenceville, Ga. was selling for $1.40/gallon in 15 gallon drums. I think there is a drum deposit too, but no biggie since you swap an empty for a full one each go round.

As far as price increases go... there was a HUGE fire here in Conyers a couple of weeks ago (you probably saw it on the news) at BioLab. A 200,000 sq ft warehouse full of powdered pool chlorine went up in a nice cloud of smoke and chlorine gas. The folks at BioLab said that during this time of year, that much stock in that particular distribution center was about a two week supply... Could be why you guys are seeing a spike in costs.

Pam,

Is that for 6, 10, or 12% (or another value)? I found 6% available at Sams Club for $1.38 per gallon, but that was a "need it now" purchase. It was slightly more than that elsewhere. I do like the idea of having it in a larger container for convenience.

Yes, I am aware of the Conyers fire. I was keeping very close watch on it since BioLab is one of the companies I am looking into as a potential employer (chemical engineer or industrial hygienist).

Thanks for the info!!!

Ryan H.