Sign in to follow this  
jhutch

What Brushes?

Question

I apologize if this has been discussed previously, but I searched the forum at length over the weekend and didn't find an answer.

What brushes seem to work the best for applying oil-based stains on 2x2 rails? My crews are complaining, since we're unable to get our old brushes at a wholesale price.

I'd like to be able to have them shipped in cases, if possible, or if you've found some hardware chain with good results that may work to.

Any other suggestions or "tricks of the trade" would be welcomed also.

32 answers to this question

Chucky,

Prob depends on the stain. We spray on, let sit for 5min of so, then backbrush. The brushing evens out the coat so that the entire surface looks evenly wet.....which is what we want. At that point it will cure out evenly. When we backbrush, we don't "pull off" any stain. Just move it from the high spots to the low spots.

Exactly. Good explanation St. Jon. That's exactly how I train my guys to backbrush.

Edited by PressurePros

Ken,

I am going on 9 yrs. in this deck business. If you prep right, in 95% of the jobs, trans oxide stains are not a problem. The finished job is more than the customer paid for. We do not sand most jobs, its easy. Flood the wood with as much baby oil as possible. Easy.

Nah, Rick, even with perfect prep, transoxides look ehhhh.. Just my opinion.

I agree on the transoxides.

Rick---look at it like this: you love your chevy, but you've never driven a ferrari. Obama builds a fine car, but once you experience something better, you can see the flaws and difference in standards in the chevy.

I'm sure you and your customers are thrilled with what they get---and they always will be, until they see something else. Wanna experience this first-hand? On your next bid, take out a sample board this is prepped perfectly and stained with Sikkens Cetol butternut. Then pull out your sample board with RS on it, and say, "but this is our preference." At that point, you can tell them all you want about no peeling, easy maintenance, etc.....but you'll never be able to unsell that pic in their head of the Sikkens sample board.

You may think RS/WTW, etc looks better....but you'll be a minority, I assure you. A high-quality film building product simply looks better. No doubt, they've got their challenges. But a waterborne with clay pigment looks stunning. The oilbases with copper/clay pigments look clean, bright, and vibrant. Side-by-side to a non-drying oil w/ trans, it will simply look better to most who have eyes.

I love everything about RS---one of the best vendors I've EVER dealt with. I have probably used 1000-1500 gal or so over several years, without a single complaint about their company. Great app. If done right, can be durable. But at the end of the day, I couldn't deliver a stunning result. I was consistently delivering a "B-". ....Had many other benefits to the customer, but I never dropped a jaw. In our biz, that is an absolute necessity IMO. Gotta break jaws. And the drab oily look with dirty pigment just doesn't do it for me.

Wow!!!!

Thanks for the help! I didn't really phrase the question properly, but I did get the input that I was hoping for. Looks like it was topic worthy of such a fine board.

I've been a long time listner, but 1st time caller

Thanks for all the input. It was good to get all you professional opinions

I agree with Ken and Jon. I think AC is in the right direction with the blend. I think it depends on the type of decks you work on also. For me I restore old PT decks a lot, and if you're using a straight transoxide finish it's not gonna finish as pretty as Baker's or AC.

I would like everyone to think for a moment, I've been reading and posting on this board for over 3 years. I don't ever remember a time were someone said TWP wasn't a good product. I've personally never used it, but I think it speaks volumes about the product. I think what it comes down to for some is that their competition uses it because it is available at some paint stores, and they want something else so they can be different to get an "advantage" in selling to customers. But in all honesty they are the best products on the market. Scott Paul's deck should convince you of that. That's why I love Baker's Gray Away it has almost everything I love in a stain. If it had some of the transoxide pigment blend that AC had then it would be even better.

Edited by YVPW
spelling

Nah, Rick, even with perfect prep, transoxides look ehhhh.. Just my opinion.

Ken,

Opinion accepted. I personally do not care for the slight masking of the grain that clay pigments have to offer. Of course, the other benefit of parafin oil stains is the ease and cost of maintenance. To each, his own.

I agree on the transoxides.

Rick---look at it like this: you love your chevy, but you've never driven a ferrari. Obama builds a fine car, but once you experience something better, you can see the flaws and difference in standards in the chevy.

I'm sure you and your customers are thrilled with what they get---and they always will be, until they see something else. Wanna experience this first-hand? On your next bid, take out a sample board this is prepped perfectly and stained with Sikkens Cetol butternut. Then pull out your sample board with RS on it, and say, "but this is our preference." At that point, you can tell them all you want about no peeling, easy maintenance, etc.....but you'll never be able to unsell that pic in their head of the Sikkens sample board.

You may think RS/WTW, etc looks better....but you'll be a minority, I assure you. A high-quality film building product simply looks better. No doubt, they've got their challenges. But a waterborne with clay pigment looks stunning. The oilbases with copper/clay pigments look clean, bright, and vibrant. Side-by-side to a non-drying oil w/ trans, it will simply look better to most who have eyes.

I love everything about RS---one of the best vendors I've EVER dealt with. I have probably used 1000-1500 gal or so over several years, without a single complaint about their company. Great app. If done right, can be durable. But at the end of the day, I couldn't deliver a stunning result. I was consistently delivering a "B-". ....Had many other benefits to the customer, but I never dropped a jaw. In our biz, that is an absolute necessity IMO. Gotta break jaws. And the drab oily look with dirty pigment just doesn't do it for me.

Jon,

I have tried a few different oil stains over the years. "Gotta break jaws" is a terrific line and selling point. You mostly do log/wood sided homes which is a different animal than 2 yr. maintenance decks.

Hey, different strokes for all us folks. I sell my services, which includes my selection of stain. If they do not like it for any reason, its America, and they can hire someone else. There are other opportunities waiting in the wings.

This is what makes America great.