Sign in to follow this  
Scott Paul

Interesting Article on VOC Changes

Question

21 answers to this question

In the future we will have home brew formula's for making deck stains.

+10. If you are going to keep going in the business, and doing right by your customers and their wood, I'm on board with self made stains. Otherwise, good night.

+10. If you are going to keep going in the business, and doing right by your customers and their wood, I'm on board with self made stains. Otherwise, good night.
Problem will be if you get caught and it is not compliant, you will be facing extremely stiff fines.

Problem will be if you get caught and it is not compliant, you will be facing extremely stiff fines.

Our government should be completely broke by 2010. I am going to make a home brew stain with 50% VOC and sell it out of my basement. Rick will buy it.

Our government should be completely broke by 2010. I am going to make a home brew stain with 50% VOC and sell it out of my basement. Rick will buy it.

Ken,

Sounds good, I'll be your first contractor customer. Just don't give me that "works on wet wood" nonsense.

I'm gonna use an oil based stain no matter what they say. I'll bet Jim could make one as good as or better than any on the market if he wanted too. I've already been in the thought process about how to get around it.

If Maryland goes 100 VOC you guys are going to be out of luck. The only oil based stain on the market that I carry that is 100 VOC compliant is Penofin Verde which is 0 VOC.

Penofin sucks.

Beth

Doesn't A.C. already conform to California's strict standards, thus would be able to meet this standard?

On a sidenote - if the government wants to bankrupt the wood business - let 'em. The people are the real government - if they feel passionately about something they can reverse any decision made by the feds.

On another sidenote - I said for years on painting boards that trees yield terpenes and isoprenes in quantities that dwarfs what stain application could ever hope to do. Having these compounds has always been a natural phenomena - ever notice the blue haze on hilltops on the horizon? That's just Nature's VOC's being emmitted on hot summer days. You need oxides of nitrogen to complete the equation for creating smog - and that comes from cars. There will never be a reduction in ground level smog as long as the oxides are still being emitted from tailpipes - as there is plenty of natural VOC's to combine with them. I have never understood these VOC laws.

Doesn't A.C. already conform to California's strict standards, thus would be able to meet this standard?

The current AC formula is 250 VOC comliant. Which means that if these changes go in effect 2011, AC will be able to be purchased in all states. The problem lies with the possibility of state or local counties adopting the lower 100 VOC limits. Currently the only place that has 100 VOC limits is 4 counties in Southern California: La County, Riverside County, San Bernardino County, Orange County

AC is not compliant in these counties. Jake Clark did inform me last night that they already have a 100 VOC formula ready to go if need be. He has tested it for 2 1/2 years and said that it applied and performed the same as his current formula. In conclusion Jake said, AC is flat out ready to serve you and your valued customers for many decades ahead.

Beth, I guess this means you will not need to use Penofin:)