Sign in to follow this  
big mike

Ready Seal Clear??

Question

Here's a deck we finished this week with RS clear. The customer was concerned because the cedar looked "too colorful" after the clear stain was applied, LOL.

post-1053-137772257611_thumb.jpg

post-1053-137772257624_thumb.jpg

post-1053-137772257633_thumb.jpg

17 answers to this question

Of course this will get grayed out in about 3 to 6 months. As long as they are happy, then it's all good. If they don't like the weathered look later, maybe a little light brown can be used when you mantainance.

Tracy, this house is owned by a gal who lives in SC for 9 months of the year, and in MN for the other 3. It's a yearly contract for clear RS, just have it done before she arrives every summer. My favorite type of customer - know what they want, and pay to have it done right.

Mike,

We used some Ready Seal Clear last week for the first time straight up. Have used it to "tone down" some RS colors in the past, but never as is.

New T&G cedar with the Clear. The floor is new ipe' with RS dark brown.

post-170-137772274649_thumb.jpg

Nice work rick. I really have come to like the clear RS. It highlights the wood's natural beauty, and keeps me coming back at least every year. I generally only offer clear, natural cedar, or dark brown. I can custom blend with the clear if someone wants a lighter tone. I'll be doing another clear maintenance job this week, so I'll bring the camera..

Mike,

Please do, I'd like to see the pictures. A question. With the clear, if the wood grays, is it a light percarb cleaning followed by a light acid? Never did or have had the chance to maintain one before.

We will be back in the Spring to maintain the ipe' and probably the cedar. A heads up would be appreciated. Thanks.

Well, I like to use a diluted housewash mix ( hypochlorite, SC) for the maintenance on all RS decks. It will remove the clear and gray just fine. I don't like to use oxalic before the clear because it brightens too much, and the wood looks unnatural. Never had an issue with bleach for maintenance, you just have to rinse, rinse, rinse.

Here's one we did this week. First pic is 2 yr old clear on WRC. Second is during cleaning. Third is partial application of clear. Fourth is finished deck.The last pic is the enclosed porch we also stained clear 2 yrs ago. It looks incredible and I'm going to recommend RS clear for any enclosed structures we do in the future.

post-1053-137772276063_thumb.jpg

post-1053-137772276075_thumb.jpg

post-1053-137772276085_thumb.jpg

post-1053-137772276095_thumb.jpg

post-1053-137772276107_thumb.jpg

I am still not sold on the clear for outdoors Mike. Just doesn't seem to hold up well.

I looked at a fence I restored with clear a while back and it seems to be graying from the inside. I guess that really shows the effects of no pignents.

But that indoor pic you posted is completely awesome man. Great work and it has held up like new.

Again, great work as usual.

Mike,

We used some Ready Seal Clear last week for the first time straight up. Have used it to "tone down" some RS colors in the past, but never as is.

New T&G cedar with the Clear. The floor is new ipe' with RS dark brown.

Show off!!!!!

Show off!!!!!

Adrian,

Darn right. Shameless self promotion! We get a fair amount of business from TGS each year, either directly or I guess link backs to our business web site.