Sign in to follow this  
gutterdog

Standard Operating Procedure

If you are like me and don't have a really defined S.O.P. I hope to get a conversation going here. Share ideas and of course everyone will have a variation on theirs. Do you have one that works great for you? Do you have one but not working all that well? Whate are some mistakes in the past you have made, and what did you do to change it. Did it work?

SOP for what? You can have an SOP for anything, any service you offer, any job task any employee performs....You have to be more specific.

standard operating procedure n.

1. Established procedure to be followed in carrying out a given operation or in a given situation.

2. A specific procedure or set of procedures so established.

Beth

Edited by Beth n Rod

My S.O.P. is the following:

Be Honest

Be curtious

Treat the customer like I would want you to treat my Mom

Be prompt

Keep equipment is tip top shape

Keep good records

I keep a journal of conversations with contacts

I say thank you (because I am grateful) that's an easy one

Mainly I remember, I'm making a living and not just getting up each day to chase a dollar bill.

I help others in need.

I LEARN something new everyday

I try to make it a goal each day to stay off of ladders....lol

SOP for what? You can have an SOP for anything, any service you offer, any job task any employee performs....You have to be more specific.

standard operating procedure n.

1. Established procedure to be followed in carrying out a given operation or in a given situation.

2. A specific procedure or set of procedures so established.

Beth

I think what I'm looking for is what do you do first in the morning, and at the end of the day. After the work is done. Did a search on S.O.P. and, you are right. That can be anything. I still driving down the road answer calls, try to set a time and day. How do you organize your day that is the same every day? I run around like a chicken with my head cut off sometimes!!!

My S.O.P. is the following:

Be Honest

Be curtious

Treat the customer like I would want you to treat my Mom

Be prompt

Keep equipment is tip top shape

Keep good records

I keep a journal of conversations with contacts

I say thank you (because I am grateful) that's an easy one

Mainly I remember, I'm making a living and not just getting up each day to chase a dollar bill.

I help others in need.

I LEARN something new everyday

I try to make it a goal each day to stay off of ladders....lol

Hey Sam! keep a journal of conversations?

I think what I'm looking for is what do you do first in the morning, and at the end of the day. After the work is done. Did a search on S.O.P. and, you are right. That can be anything. I still driving down the road answer calls, try to set a time and day. How do you organize your day that is the same every day? I run around like a chicken with my head cut off sometimes!!!

Now you are talking about "Time Management."

Which has nothing to do with SOP

Your varied duties may not be the same thing everyday.

The whole chicken thing you just mentioned............ I'm not touching that. It says so much.

Organize your daily schedule by creating checklist of duties,i.e.

cold calls.

Follow up on leads

maitainance of equipment

marketing blah blah blah, you get the idea.

You mentioned in one of your post" that you have been in business for 5 yrs. now. Improve on whatever methods have gotten you this far.

Greatly improve on them, make it a focal point!!!!!!! As well as gaining the skills needed to be considered professional and seasoned.

Now you are talking about "Time Management."

Which has nothing to do with SOP

Your varied duties may not be the same thing everyday.

The whole chicken thing you just mentioned............ I'm not touching that. It says so much.

Organize your daily schedule by creating checklist of duties,i.e.

cold calls.

Follow up on leads

maitainance of equipment

marketing blah blah blah, you get the idea.

You mentioned in one of your post" that you have been in business for 5 yrs. now. Improve on whatever methods have gotten you this far.

Greatly improve on them, make it a focal point!!!!!!! As well as gaining the skills needed to be considered professional and seasoned.

+1! Bingo. Time management. Make a to do list, work through it. You will develop your own morning and late day routine.

Beth

SOP would be like your procedure to clean gutters which would be one.

1. Visuall Inspection

2. Identify defects.

etc etc etc

end Deposit check.

Step by step procedure for every service you offer. Like Adrian said find one service and write down each step from the time you show up to the time you leave. You now have a beginning SOP. Now look through that and see if there is a way you can improve on that procedure. Maybe more hose for the pressure washer or different chemicals. Could be new equipment or it could be a specific process that needs to change.

For instance I am in the process of making a tool that I can hook to the end of my extention pole and just pull the debris to me. So far so good on a prototype. Cleaned 2 sections of gutter only setting the ladder 1 time each and reaching both directions. I can even get the debri under the brackets/nails.

Time Management....LOL Wear a hat to keep you from pulling your hair out. That is a constant battle even for the experienced business person.

If anyone thinks a business is a 8-5 time period they need to go get a job.

1) Be at work, each and every day, on time. If you need a day for whatever reason, let me know at least 3 days beforehand.

2) Please come to work at 8:00 AM sober. Hangovers are acceptable, but no dry heaves permitted in the work truck or on customer property.

3) Listen and do what I say. If I have to repeat clear, concise, and reasonable directions more than twice, you are on your last paycheck.

Hah!

SOP would be like your procedure to clean gutters which would be one.

1. Visuall Inspection

2. Identify defects.

etc etc etc

end Deposit check.

Step by step procedure for every service you offer. Like Adrian said find one service and write down each step from the time you show up to the time you leave. You now have a beginning SOP. Now look through that and see if there is a way you can improve on that procedure. Maybe more hose for the pressure washer or different chemicals. Could be new equipment or it could be a specific process that needs to change.

For instance I am in the process of making a tool that I can hook to the end of my extention pole and just pull the debris to me. So far so good on a prototype. Cleaned 2 sections of gutter only setting the ladder 1 time each and reaching both directions. I can even get the debri under the brackets/nails.

Time Management....LOL Wear a hat to keep you from pulling your hair out. That is a constant battle even for the experienced business person.

If anyone thinks a business is a 8-5 time period they need to go get a job.

I already made one of them, years ago. Its a painting pole that telescopes out, with a bent hidden hanger at the end. does make a difference in the speed of cleaning gutters. If the roof cant be walked. Don't make the mistake of trying to grab too much debri. grab a little at a time and pull it to ya. bag it throw it to ground whatever.