Sign in to follow this  
jfillipovich

A.C. or Ready Seal on ptl

Armstrong Clark or ready seal on a pressure treated deck? Deck is brand new about 2200 sq ft. Which of these two stains would the better one to go with, any other words of wisdom and help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all have a wonderful day.

Armstrong Clark or ready seal on a pressure treated deck? Deck is brand new about 2200 sq ft. Which of these two stains would the better one to go with, any other words of wisdom and help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all have a wonderful day.

Please go to "my controls" and complete your signature line.

Ughh - brand new pressure treated - you want to stain it to prevent it from weathering and mildew getting in the wood. But I personally haven't found anything that lasts on brand new ptp. Even timberoil didn't penetrate new pressure treated deck railing I installed last year.

Let it sit for sixty days. Clean with a sodium percarbonate based cleaner and then an acidic pH balancing cleaner. Apply your choice of stain. To give you a heads up warning, you will probably have to do a maintenance staning in one year or less. Dan is right on the money with newer PTP.

Sansin PTL will last more than one year on new PT. I've got it on a new piece of pt that's been sitting in full sun over a year and there isn't any change in color. If it were me that's the stain I would go with on what you have. Prettier than either RS or AC on new wood.

For my personal stuff - I use that Cretowood product now on new pressure treated - and let it age. I can't sell it to homeowners - as they don't understand the benefits as their deck will still get moldy and grey - cosmetically it looks like I did nothing to the wood. But it preserves the integrity of the inner wood - allowing the wood to age on the surface without worrying about wood cracking, checking and cupping.

It has been a long while since we worked on new pressure treated wood. Finished a job on Friday, 530 sq. ft. of floor and steps and 57 linear ft. of balustrade, built this past April.

Two separate applications of stain on the floor, steps, and handrail. One heavy application on the balustrade. No problem with penetration, the job took 8 gals. of Ready Seal medium red stain.