Sign in to follow this  
Lateralus

Product for cleaning oil from driveway?

Question

Any specific products that can be bought by non-contractors that do a good job on driveway oil stains? The last one I used didn't work well at ALL (see next paragraph)

Someone drove down my asphalt driveway recently and left a nice, big trail of oil down it. Plus quite a few drip spots as well. I went to the auto parts store and got some powdered concrete / asphalt cleaner, followed the directions and kept it moist for 30 minutes then scrubbed it HARD. Then pressure washed. Well, it did a LOUSY job. Next time I try cleaning it, there is so much to scrub I might even go rent a power brush scrubber of some sort to do that part of it.

9 answers to this question

How new is the asphalt? Most of the liquids that work well will sometimes bleach out newer asphalt/slurry coatings. "Oil Eater" works well. Found at random stores & at Costco(Costco is best deal) "Purple Power" works well to. You can rent a floor maintainer with a scrub brush also. The liquid cleaners I just spray on with pump sprayer, feather out edges with light mist & then wet edges with water then power wash.

Any specific products that can be bought by non-contractors that do a good job on driveway oil stains? The last one I used didn't work well at ALL (see next paragraph)

Someone drove down my asphalt driveway recently and left a nice, big trail of oil down it. Plus quite a few drip spots as well. I went to the auto parts store and got some powdered concrete / asphalt cleaner, followed the directions and kept it moist for 30 minutes then scrubbed it HARD. Then pressure washed. Well, it did a LOUSY job. Next time I try cleaning it, there is so much to scrub I might even go rent a power brush scrubber of some sort to do that part of it.

Please go to "My Controls" and complete your signature line. House Rules.

The issue with asphalt is that asphalt is a petroleum product, and is dependent on it's oil content. Use of heavy degreasers will ruin the integrity of the asphalt, and if you spot treat the oil stains the chances of those spots being even more noticeable is very probable.

Actually the oil on the asphalt will not do any harm, besides being unsightly.

If your driveway is asphalt and you want the oil spots to go away, I would suggest buying some coal emulsion seal coating product, which can be obtained at Home Depot or Lowes, etc. Do Not water the product down. It's simple to apply with a roller or mop. Be careful not to get the product on anything but the asphalt.

James Cooney

Owner

www.GrimeBustersPressureWashing.com

(602) 284-1174 / (602) 820-3911

(602) 467-3347 Fax

Edited by Jim_Cooney

How new is the asphalt? Most of the liquids that work well will sometimes bleach out newer asphalt/slurry coatings. "Oil Eater" works well. Found at random stores & at Costco(Costco is best deal) "Purple Power" works well to. You can rent a floor maintainer with a scrub brush also. The liquid cleaners I just spray on with pump sprayer, feather out edges with light mist & then wet edges with water then power wash.

The asphalt is at least 15 years old, which is how long my mom has owned this place. Thanks for the recommendations. :)

Actually the oil on the asphalt will not do any harm, besides being unsightly.

And here's the problem: the house is for sale, so I'd really like to get that oil off. What about Oil Eater and Purple Power, the two products acegot recommended? I imagine the asphalt being at least 15 years old (I would guess 25) might work in my favor since obviously any bleaching out would affect dark new asphalt much more. The trail of oil I did with the auto part store cleaner, you can see very faint indication it was cleaned in that area but the remaining oil stain is far, far more visible.

If you are just looking for a quickie fix, recoat it. If its 15 year old asphalt it has to look faded anyway. There are sealing products at Home Cheapo you can apply with a pump up sprayer.

PS: there is a DIY forum on this BBS for non-contractor postings.

Edited by PressurePros