Sign in to follow this  
Firedkm

Almost a hard lesson learned

Today I got a phone call from a customer that I did a house wash for this past Monday. He told me there was a problem with his electric outlet outside that he did not know he had.

When I was there cleaning I had asked him to close his garage door. He came back out and said he had to reset a breaker to close the door. He asked if maybe I could have tripped it. I never saw thr outlet and he stated he did not have one outside.

Now back to today, he said he went to do his dishes and the dishwasher would not work. He looked around outside and found the outlet that was not there.:cool:

I went over tonight to look at it and was horrified at what I saw. Luckily the circuit breaker worked and did its job. I could have burnt his houe down. Check out the picture of the outlet that was out in plain site that I never saw and he said he never had.

The one wire you see there is the ground wire that melted away!!

post-302-13777213785_thumb.jpg

I have been meaning to post a question related to this topic. How do those you protect against this hazard? I usually make sure that the gaskets on the cover flaps have a tight fit. and do my best to avoid contact. Do any of you use somthing to cover the outlet?

Dale, I am sorry to here about your almost disaster, but I guess the almost in this case is a really good thing.:)

You wouldn't have been the first pressure washer to burn a house down!

Now those are words of encouragement!!

I realize that you did not know this outlet was there, but for the ones that you do know about, how about upselling waterproof covers? Due to the nature, no electricians license should be needed, as it is only handyman type work.

Would give you peace of mind when washing, as well as make your customers house a safer place.

I didn't want to name names! Actually, it is very cool for Dale to share something like this so others can learn from it. There are many who probably think "that won't happen to me." Then...

Alan,

The cover that was on the outlet was a "waterproof" cover. The owner told me it has been there since the house was built. He just forgot it was there. The wiring in the house was aluminum so that tells you how old the house is.

At least now I will pay more attention to this and be more carefull about the outlets. I really dont want a situation like this again.

Quickie fix, cover with duct tape before washing.

Now I know this won't help if you don't see any electrical outlets but for those that see one and it is not protected or weather proofed the tape works.

Test a spot first as you might end up pealing paint or part of the house off when removing the tape.

thanks for sharing dale.....just goes to show that plants are not the only thing you should worry about when you roll up to a job.........i think this thread should be a sticky one.

cheers paul.

Yes this happened from water getting into the outlet. The water shorted out the circuit and popped the breaker. When the home owner reset the breaker he said he heard some popping noises and the breaker tripped again. Then he was able to reset it aftrewards. I did not find out that he heard any kind of noise untill lastnight when I went back to replace the outlet cover with a new one. I wish he said something when I was doing the job there in the first place.

The home owner assumes liablity that his house is safe to work on !!! not your fault you can get hurt !! This happened to me on a house that never should of past inspection. On further review of the houses electrical system. The house could of burnt down any time it rained. Old houses duct tape !!

Things like this can happen very easily. I'm willing to bet at some point we'll all go down that or a similar path. How many of us have had planter that we move for a little old lady crumble when you do so?

Dale, at least everyone is safe and it was an easy fix and that's the important part. I know we look at the siding before we wash, but it might not be a bad idea to look at outlets, although I guess unless you took it apart you wouldn't know about the issue that lay waiting for a victim.

Beth

The home owner assumes liablity that his house is safe to work on !!! not your fault you can get hurt !! This happened to me on a house that never should of past inspection. On further review of the houses electrical system. The house could of burnt down any time it rained. Old houses duct tape !!

James,

I understand what you are saying. However in the court of law I would have been the cause to make the damage happen. Even if its a problem that was allready there. This is where a thorough inspection of the premise is to our benefit and make sure its written down on the estimate that is signed by both you and the homeowner. Even If I saw this I never would have dreamed this would have happened.

This little incident has me really thinking about becoming an LLC. All I would need is my liabiltiy insurance not cover something like this and loosing what I do have from my years of working. My lawyer keeps telling me I cant loose my house but I am really not sure I want to find out.

It's also a good idea to avoid excessive water around electrical meters, which could have leaking areas as well. And look up, to make sure you don't bump overhead wires.

No it was not a gfi circuit. This was the original outlet from the time the house was built. The outlet inserts that you have would not have worked. The cover was mounted flush against a brick wall. The water went down the brick behind the outlet cover.

fluke makes a nifty little electrical tester that is easy to use with your gloves on.It's 5 in long and about the size of a marker.

When you touch an outlet or even a wire that is energized the tip lights up red.

No small switches or wires to poke in.

FLUKE volt alert 1AC-A www.fluke.com

http://www.fluke.com/products/home.asp?SID=2&AGID=3&PID=3394