Sign in to follow this  
TNRoofCleaner

Customer Service Pays

I just sold a house wash and deck strip for next week because I was the only one to actually talk to the customer. He told me that he has called several different cleaning companies in the last 6 months and no one bothered to call back.

I set up an appointment to give him a quote and when I discovered that I could not make it because the deck I was working was taking longer than I thought I called him and set up an appointment for this morning. He added to his deck so he has old and new wood and was going to stain in at the end of September. We discussed this and he is now waiting for spring. It looks like I may get that one when the time comes. I have a fence customer already set up for spring.

It seems that customer service in my area is lacking to say the least. Have they moved on? Are they just part timers? Are they just ignorant? I don't know, maybe a combination of all three.

Customer service is going to get me a lot of wins.

Pat,

Great to be the one. We get jobs weekly because we answer calls, do personal estimates and follow up. Sometimes we place too much emphasis is put on utilizing our time on business building vs. maintaining what we already have. New customers are essential. Old customers are priceless.

You guys are 100% correct. We do alot to keep our name in front of past clients and from talking to them, they like the reminders, Christmas cards, and other things we do. I still think we could do more.

Any suggestions of what others do would be great.

If we make a mistake and then fix it. We always try for a refferal from that person. People love to be taken care of an will usally reward you.

I got a nice call the other day, the guy called with a complaint. The next day he called an thanked me. Its nice to get those.

Around my area a lot of the compaines are going out of business. I can't help but think it's because they are not doing something right. There is more than enough work around here to support everyone. Customer service will kill you or make you a hero!!

bottom line is people do not see the value of our business. we are one more "expense" that is required by the government. Hood cleaning is nasty hot and dangerous work. Thats why I do it.

Moneys not always the great motivator right?

I see more guys get into this business, find out that it is more work then expected and quit. Face it- it sucks being on a roof in January at night freezing your buttons off.

I have be in the game for 15 years and have seen then come and go.

The best way to stay in business is to stay in business.

Keep up the good work fellows :D

pete