Sign in to follow this  
netspider

Thinking of a new profession

Question

As I have been looking for a job for over a year with no luck and it seems technology sales will be just fine without me, I have come to the conclusion that I will do something I like. Most of the houses in a 20 Mile radius of where I live were built around 1998. If theirs are anything like either of the two I have owned in that time period, the 6 x 8 Ceder fence is in a ever changing state of disrepair. I cant afford the excessive cost to replace mine but have become really good at repairing the needed parts to keep it safe and looking good. So I have started the thinking of entering the profession.I found TGS yesterday and have been logged on and reading for the better part of 15 hours and I thank everyone in advance for sharing their .02 on most everything. I am looking at buying this machine FREE SHIPPING NorthStar 2-Gun Hot Water Pressure Washer Skid 25 HP | Gas/Hot Water | Northern Tool + Equipment

and need some input. I can throw it in the back of a truck or rig a trailer to grow as I do. My focus will be residential fence repair " new pickets, stringers, posts and the option to wash and stain, seal, or just brighten up if wanted. More of a you buy it and I will apply it type of service. 95% of the homes in the area are brick with ceder 8x6 panels with wood posts that are rotting out. Some driveway,sidewalk,shed & other pain points will be pointed out to each prospect but do not want to get to far ahead of myself. I am detail orientated and believe my name and reputation I have built in this neighborhood for the last 12 years is worth keeping with job done right the 1st time.

Thank you in advance for your time and I enjoy your little community very much.

Dan

12 answers to this question

That is a sweet setup. You will not want to use heat on wood though but it would be great for cleaning driveways and brick etc. You will probably have to get a buffer tank as well because most homes can not supply 7 GPM to your machine. Surface cleaner would also be a great addition for concrete.

Now if you want to keep your reputation in tact I would recommend supplying the sealer/stain for the wood. i.e. Armstrong-Clark, Baker's Gray Away or Ready Seal. Or something along those lines. If you apply something they bought from the box store, you will start getting unhappy customers when it fails.

I'm sure others with more experience will chime in. There is so much info here it would probably take months if not years to get through it all.

Welcome aboard and good luck to you.

One more thing is read up on the different chems as they can be your best friend or your worst enemy if used incorrectly.

I am in the Chem section now reading all I can. I agree on the by-product of offering them to choose the next step. All food for thought. Not ready to eat just yet, just building the menu. Thanks TNRoofCleaner for the inpput. Good luck to you.

Welcome to TGS Dan.

Glad to see another member of the Lone Star.

That is a nice rig. But overkill for wood especially.

Spend less on a pw. Use the rest for wood spraying equipment, and repair equipment.

That large of a PW would need a large tank for water supply. Most resi's output for supply is usu. no higher than 5gpm, not enough to supply that machine. So, you would need a trailer setup for that rig.

Adrian ,

You are 100% right, did not notice that. I have looked on Cragslist and E-bay for a starter rig but not sure spending 3K to get someone else's problem is a great idea in my current state of mind. Happy to take something some out grew as a starting point if possible. Will keep looking and learning. Thank you for the advice.

Dan

I would like to share my own personal experience with you as a business owner of 20+ years and seven in this industry. The machine is inconsequential if your phone is not ringing. My company does a decent amount of wood and most of the machines we use are cold water 4 gpm machines. You can buy a brand new one of those for $1500. What to do with the savings. Make your phone ring via a website, direct mail campaigns and aggressive marketing.

If I could be so bold as to recommend your first business investment that will cost you less than $20 and should serve as your bible. Its a book called E-Myth by Michael Gerber.

Adrian ,

You are 100% right, did not notice that. I have looked on Cragslist and E-bay for a starter rig but not sure spending 3K to get someone else's problem is a great idea in my current state of mind. Happy to take something some out grew as a starting point if possible. Will keep looking and learning. Thank you for the advice.

Dan

Caution is never a bad thing.

I have bought new and used. Either way, the rig you showed us would be a great commercial rig. Not so great for wood.

Best advice I can give you is listen to what Ken and some of the other vets have said in the past about FAQ's like yours. That is very valuable info that can save you alot of headaches. Divert the saved funds towards getting your name out there.

Having the right equipment to start with saves alot of time on the learning curve as well.

I would like to share my own personal experience with you as a business owner of 20+ years and seven in this industry. The machine is inconsequential if your phone is not ringing. My company does a decent amount of wood and most of the machines we use are cold water 4 gpm machines. You can buy a brand new one of those for $1500. What to do with the savings. Make your phone ring via a website, direct mail campaigns and aggressive marketing.

If I could be so bold as to recommend your first business investment that will cost you less than $20 and should serve as your bible. Its a book called E-Myth by Michael Gerber.

Right on!!

But what you said really makes you sound like an old person. LOL.

Ken, thank you..I will go to the book store tomorrow as Amazon has like 7 versions. I received a call from a fellow member of TGS who took the time to introduce himself and spend the better part of a half hour educating me on equipment, your myrtle beach or Orlando now that I look(not sure now) gathering and what to focus on going forward to eliminate some of the speed bumps one could trip over. Thank you Bobby from SC for taking the time. I will take a few steps back, search a few more threads and take it day by day..So far my phone has rang once and it has been priceless.

Edited by netspider

With the long weekend I thought I would play with my fence and learn about some Chems. I have 30 - 8 x 6 basic picket next to picket ceder panels. So 240 liner feet or 1440 Sq Ft if I didn my math right...never can trust a caculatur that is only a few inches wide on the laptop. I want to try the EFC-38 or Step 1 and the follow up with their Citralic Brightener / Neutralizer or step two. My question is how much do I need to buy. They say a 2lb jar makes 5 gallons. Applied with a pump sprayer on cool 80 degree Texas morning 75 if I am lucky ....what could I expect my coverage to be? How much materiel would one buy for a 2 step job like mine? Thank you in advance and have a safe and enjoyable holiday.

Dan

This is what the Woodrich cart looks like.. I bought the HD-80 just to do a side by side. But how much more will I need...

HD-80 Single Use Jar (Makes 5 gallons) $19.95 Qty-1

Citralic Wood Deck and wood Siding Brightener- $19.95 Qty –2

EFC-38 Wood Deck and Siding Cleaner/Stripper 2LB Jar Makes 5Gallons -$19.95-Qty2

Daniel,

For wood restoration, a good "rule of thumb" when estimating chemical quantities, is 100 sq. ft. per gallon. This would include sodium percarbonate cleaners, sodium hydroxide strippers, and citric/oxalic neutralizers/brighteners.

Ounces of each powdered chemical depend on the condition of the wood that has to be cleaned or stripped. In particular, strippers are mixed to match the difficulty of the finish to be removed. With that being said, 6 oz. per gallon of each of the three classes of chemicals is a good starting point and often used in practice.

I would say take lots of pics from all angles and start your portfolio. times r tuff right now and in my area not too many people r interisted on how there ext. house looks. so get a good 4-5gpm PW some sanders,sprayers,ladders,hoses,chems,insurance,marketing materials,and clients. I almost bought the same PW starting out and these guys told me the same thing. my phone was ringing off the hook the first month or two then no work for 1mo. straight. it will be a rollercoaster ride of work. but it all gets better. remember "only the hacks quit when it gets tough" good luck to you buddy