Sign in to follow this  
EmpirePW

New startup company needs advice

Question

Hello Everyone,

My name is Matthew and I am trying to start a small pressure washing business. I used to live in Michigan where I did pressure washing for my father who was a property manager as well as some other property managers he and I knew. I recently moved to North Carolina and since I brought all my equipment with me I decided I'd give it a shot at starting my own little company. What I am looking for from you guys is any advice on how to get your name out there and key points to picking up clients while working on a somewhat limited budget. I already have an ad running in the service guide of the local paper and I get few calls from that but I need to figure out a way to get my name out there even more. Anyone who was at one point in my same situation and made it I would love your advice as well as the advice from anyone who wants to give it. I will be on here asking questions often since I am just starting out and I appreciate your help.

Matthew

12 answers to this question

Hi Matthew,

There is tons of info up here. Check out the Library forum. Also you'll find we were all in your shoes to some degree at one point. You can call us any time you like and we'll help any way we can, but we are also big advocate of sharing online so others can read and learn.

The Marketing forum is also a wonderful forum to read through. One thing that comes to mind, is have everyone you see a busienss card. Anyone who comes within 3 feet of you, should get one. Think I'm nuts? Are you an enthusiastic person? Show them that. Be proud, be excited, and give them your card.

Look at the various types of advertising that is popular in your area. Around here there is a local paper that gets a really good draw. We love it. Also you could look into post cards at www.twigonestop.com .

Beth

p.s. WELCOME!!!!!!!!

Mathew,

Here is a great thread for marketing ideas that I just happened to be looking at last night. read all the posts it has wonderful ideas for people just starting out and for those who have been in the business for a while. I was looking last night because things have been pretty slow in the past couple of weeks for me as well.

http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1463

Lance

Do high quality work. I've noticed that I've been getting alot of referrals lately. I take my time to do quality work to make sure the outcome of a job makes the customer's jaw drop. After 2 referrals I clean their gutters for free(whether they need it or not) and that makes them run their mouth about me even more. BTW, just because I'm thorough doesn't mean I'm not making money. I always make sure that I'm profiting an average of $100/hr. I run a little high, but they get what they pay for. Read the hell out of these boards and take notes. It helps to learn from other's mistakes. If you don't have alot of dough for advertising, make up a flyer on your pc w/coupons on it. When your not doing jobs you can hike through potential neighborhoods and stick them in the front door. I spot green siding or dirty decks and I hop out of my truck, run over and smack a flyer on the door and I'm gone. Every little bit helps. I also scope out my customer's neighbors when I'm there. I'll knock on their door and explain that I'm doing work to your neighbor's house and while I'm here I noticed that your deck/siding/patios whatever need restoring, would you like a free no obligation estimate? I've never been turned down. I did a huge job in a suburb on a Sunday, I scored jobs on the neighbors in front, on both sides, and in the back, $2,345 worth of work. High quality work attracts attention.

Thank you guys for your responses so far. I have been doing research and reading on this page all day since it is raining and I cant get out to pound the pavement. I would like to know if anyone happens to have some pricing lists on their computers that they could e-mail me so I can further educate myself. By pricing lists I mean the formulas you use to decide how much to charge per job. If you have anything like that it is. My E-mail address is OBlahBlahO@yahoo.com. Any information you can send me would be appreciated.

Matthew Krupitzer

Empire Pressure Washing

I mainly do summer residential work because I just graduated from college- I started it right out of highschool with a 13hp roll around washer. Four years later I have a hydrotech heated PW on a trailer. For quick work, I find a good neighborhood and knock on doors, explain what I do and offer a free estimate for anything they can think of, if that fails, they still have my flyer for future reference. Some weekends I can advertise in this way Saturdays and stay busy all week. I haven't tapped the commercial market because I couldn't keep it up routes during school, so I have no advice on that. Being a good salesman along with residual work from referrals from high quality gets the ball rolling at least in the residential market. During school when I need quick money for spring break etc, I will be less thorough and just drive around and look for dirty houses and decks and knock on the door with a smile on my face and a flyer. I haven't advertised in any other way to keep my profit margin higher at least up to this point in my seasonal business.

Knowledge is power too, if you can tell a customer exactly what needs to be done and what you can do for them, you have the expertise- so pick up all of the tricks you can, and you can differentiate yourself at a whole new level from the competition who might unknowingly cut corners that decrease quality.

I am fairly new to this business. I started up a little over a month ago. In just one month, I have won 4 customers. Thought Id share how it worked for me. My methods of advertising and marketing myself included submitting a 3 week ad in the Pennysaver which USUALLY generates a lot of business. Nothing happen from that. I also have vehicle magnets that have been complimented on. I have sent e-mail to a free advertising local e-newsletter and that was successful within 5 minutes of it being distributed to subscribers. And the most recent attempt at marketing myself that generated the best results was to take 3 hours per day driving around my target market armed with flyers and business cards and meeting in person potential customers. I debated on doing this cuz if it was me, I would be annoyed if people like us came to my door trying to sell themselves. I am happy to say that I was bold enough to try it out and to my surprise, only 1 out of the hundred people I met flat out said "NO!" She was not very happy. oops. Hope this helps and gives you ideas. Note: More than 1/2 of the people we met had no idea this kind of service was available and I am hoping this will generate a positive outcome for me.

The other thing is to portray professionalism. This usually will make a potential customer become immediately interested in you over your competition. You can do this by wearing business logo shirts, a neat appearance, a clean vehicle and well cared for equipment. Customers notice these things and it makes them feel good to have hired someone who portrays this kind of appearance.

I can give you a few more ideas (I am a graphic design/marketing major) How I got into wood restoration is a story of its own. But, the best ideas that you can get are from those who have been in this longer than I have and there is a magnitude of in depth information on this site. I learned a lot from here and have applied some of those ideas into my marketing approach.

Oh, the most calls I have got thus far was due to my offer of a 15% off discount for the month of June. I did this to get my foot in the door in hopes that it will lead to more customers and referrals. With 4 customers secured due to this discount that was offered just last week, I guess my hopes have been fufilled.

Good luck...with the right approach and the right attitude, you will be noticed.

I have a liability insurance plan for upto $1,000,000 dollars as long as I am the only employee and I dont do any subcontracting. I don't have any sort of workmans comp insurance or anything like that cause it is just me and I have my own medical insurance. I do have liability insurance though, yes.

Matthew Krupitzer

Empire Pressure Washing

Matt

Are you insured?

Charlie

Welcome to power washing...lol

If anyone has any questions I would be happy to help you out, Just give me a call.

I've been in business now for about 15 years with over 10,000 clients so I've got a good amount of experiance.