Sign in to follow this  
Visionzlandscapes

pricing wood

Question

new to the business and wondering how these prices look? i did a couple decks at these rates and made roughly $85 an hr after supplies.

Power wash only-.75 sqft

seal only-.80 sqft

clean/seal- $1.35 per sqft for dirty surfaces up to 1.75 for mildew/green surfaces.

railing -$3.75 per linear ft. this includes spindles and joints.

Steps=$4.00 per step single or double

benches is by the square ft.

15 answers to this question

2.50-3.00 per square, $15 and up/linear foot for rails

Everyone was giving kudos to D.J. and how great he was doing business. It's this kid Charlie that in my opinion whom deserves all the kudos!!!! This kid is really getting top dollar for his work! I wish I could that for my pricing.

Everyone was giving kudos to D.J. and how great he was doing business. It's this kid Charlie that in my opinion whom deserves all the kudos!!!! This kid is really getting top dollar for his work! I wish I could that for my pricing.

I don't believe this guy is a real contractor at all.

new to the business and wondering how these prices look? i did a couple decks at these rates and made roughly $85 an hr after supplies.

Power wash only-.75 sqft

seal only-.80 sqft

clean/seal- $1.35 per sqft for dirty surfaces up to 1.75 for mildew/green surfaces.

railing -$3.75 per linear ft. this includes spindles and joints.

Steps=$4.00 per step single or double

benches is by the square ft.

Bull $hit you are making $85/hr after expenses quoting pricing like that. Your work must be awful - so your hourly gross receipts is approximately $100/hr {considering materials is roughly 15%} Your decks must have more 'fur' than a Wooly Mammoth.

Bull $hit you are making $85/hr after expenses quoting pricing like that. Your work must be awful - so your hourly gross receipts is approximately $100/hr {considering materials is roughly 15%} Your decks must have more 'fur' than a Wooly Mammoth.

Dan, don't even humor this guy.

I don't see where his pricing is off ? The only time I get 2.5 to 3 a sqft is for stripping and $15 a linear ft is painting. I get 1.25 to 3 per sqft depending on what is needed. Above that is specialty stripping. I am always on the high end for wood restoration when doing a competitive bid.

I have a guy around here that advertises $75 to power wash a deck. I tell the folks that pressure washing alone will not kill the spores in the wood and it will come back under the finish. Pressure washer alone will not get all the algae, you need some chems to kill it.

Charlie has a very limited time that he can accept customers as he is a full time student.

Charlie has a very limited time that he can accept customers as he is a full time student.

Doesn't mean you can't get those prices year round. Probably won't provide enough decks to sustain a dozen full time laborers, but pays a solo guy quite well. We'll have to see if prices have to change when I go full time and switch to primarily sales/office work

I don't see where his pricing is off ? The only time I get 2.5 to 3 a sqft is for stripping and $15 a linear ft is painting. I get 1.25 to 3 per sqft depending on what is needed. Above that is specialty stripping. I am always on the high end for wood restoration when doing a competitive bid.

15 a linear for rails equates to roughly 2 bucks per square. If you charge 3/sqft on stripping that would make your rails close to 21/linear foot. (3 feet high x 2 sides + 1 foot for fashia = 7 sqft of wood for each one foot of rail. 7sqft x $3=21 )

Doesn't mean you can't get those prices year round. Probably won't provide enough decks to sustain a dozen full time laborers, but pays a solo guy quite well. We'll have to see if prices have to change when I go full time and switch to primarily sales/office work

I totally agree with you, Charlie. I think what you have established is the perfect way to enter this business. Volume comes in time with marketing and advertising. When you charge correctly from the beginning, you have the money to do that advertising. If you can get those prices now, you are golden. Some may not agree but the marker of a successful business is profit. People candy coat it with other things and yes, there are more important things than money like faith and family. But business is an emotionless entity that is only guaged (sp) by a P&L.

Now someone help me off this soapbox before I hurt myself.