Sign in to follow this  
RPetry

Stripping Sikken's Cetol log and siding stain

Question

Hmmm, ya' gotta' love painters (sorry Daniel!). Ipe' deck, topside storage, and 3 sets of treads stained with Sikken's Cetol log and siding stain! 3 months ago. Clear cedar balustrade and horizontal fascia band also stained with the same stuff. Thankfully, the T&G vertical fascia as well as the clear cedar room framing was left unstained after the homeowner said "STOP!".

Very nice home and design, the outdoor wood is 6 months old. Better half of the household is an interior designer from Britain, just learning about wood. She is appalled at the 3 month mark.

A few pics. #1 - overall shot of the job.

#2 - outside storage cabinets, with Sikken's stained ipe' tops, and mostly untouched cedar. Right side shows where the homeowner applied a coat of the Sikken's recently (too orange in her opinion), a smaller area of some Cabot's, and my 3 very small RS three brown samples.

#3 - Closeup of the failed Sikken's on the ipe' deck floor.

#4 - On the right, a test of a "boosted" sodium hydroxide stripper test on the horiz. cedar fascia board with the Sikken's. Appears to have stripped out OK.

Question. The cedar with the Sikken's Cetol seems to have stripped out fine with my "boosted" test stripper. The ipe' with the same stain appears to be more problematic.

It is hard to tell as the ipe' was still very wet when I left after estimate measurements, and would of taken some Labor Day time to let dry. A bit hard to imagine that the ipe' would not strip out even better than the cedar, but I am somewhat unsure. Thankfully, we do not see Sikken's stain in this area.

Any clues or practical experience stripping a "new" application of Sikken's Cetol off of hardwoods?

Thanks.

post-170-137772265378_thumb.jpg

post-170-1377722654_thumb.jpg

post-170-137772265415_thumb.jpg

post-170-137772265435_thumb.jpg

34 answers to this question

Got to sanding the ipe' this morning. All horizontal wood is ipe', all vertical wood is western red cedar. The Sikkens Cetol stripped out pretty easily. Now, if the customer could only decide on stain colors!

This is a very nice property. We will probably be doing the WRC covered patio in a few years when that thick cedar starts to gray. Booked the ipe' for a light maintenance cleaning and stain again in the spring

post-170-137772270829_thumb.jpg

post-170-137772270842_thumb.jpg

Rick

That looks great. Be sure to post some oil pics, that should be dynamite.

We started a new wrestling match with ipe last week. One house, 5 decks, one screened porch with deck, all ipe. Not a sikkens strip. Lets see how good people's eyes are...is it a stain strip or is it just good old fashioned grime?

post-5553-137772270892_thumb.jpg

Come on woodies! Where are you? Fenner? Petry? Tambasco? Diamond? MM? Beth?

Scott,

We were asleep, you posted at nearly 10 PM at night!

I'm going to guess either a percarb or bleach/soap cleaning.

Rick

That looks great. Be sure to post some oil pics, that should be dynamite. ...

Scott,

Not the best pictures, as the stain was still wet when taken.

All the cedar (vertical wood), was stained with Ready Seal Clear. All the ipe' was stained with Ready Seal Dark Brown.

As a side note, when doing an estimate, if it is for an interior designer, plan for a lot of color samples and extra work. The cedar was originally stained with Cabot's Clear Solution, Heartwood color, selected by the customer. The next morning, I get a call on the cell, "I don't like it, can we get it off and try something else?"

Hah! Of course we can strip it, it will be an additional charge of xxx.xx.

BTW, you never answered your above question. Please do, just curious.

post-170-137772274377_thumb.jpg

post-170-137772274387_thumb.jpg