Sign in to follow this  
PressurePros

Anybody in Texas

Question

13 answers to this question

Well not really...at least I don't think. I see some placed on the side of the road selling them but I think most of them are probably sold like in theme parks and such. There is actually one on the side of the road when I drive to work and for the most part it is not really ever open.

Why do you ask, if I may ask?

Grew up in Chicago..Taylor Street ..BEST Italian Ice on the planet. Have been in North Texas..McKinney for the last 16 years and we have a snow cone stand in the parking lot of one of the car wash's near us. Kids love it. And hey nothing says get your car cleaned again then packing up with a half melted cup of sugar water and the kids. For soft serve we have DQ & Micky D's.

Customer of mine just opened a Ritas in middle NC. Pretty good business from what I heard from the owners. They force you to stay open during the winter for the first year and they still managed to pull a profit.

I probably went there 5 nights a week during the summer

Here where I live there are sno cone stands on just about every street corner and they are usually from $1.00 to about $2.00 depending on what you want on them. They are shaved ice, the ice comes in big blocks and they shave the ice.In spanish they are called "Raspas" and are very popular.If I had to guess, I would think that there are probably 50 or so in the city of 277k.Now if you are talking ice cream, that is another story. Baskin Robbins is hard to find if they are even still here, I have forgot about them but they might still be here.We have Marble Slab, probably 3 to 5 locations and they do ok then there is another ice cream franchise but I do not know of any italian ice places here.There are still guys walking up and down the streets with the little ice cream boxes on wheels selling ice cream. Some have bicycles attached to them but there are guys walking up and down the streets along with about 20 or so trucks that drive through the neighborhoods every day.Since it is warm to hot most of the year here, I would guess from March until October the ice cream and sno cone places are doing good, the other months the trucks are not running and the ice cream places are dead.Hope this helps.

Well theres alot of diff. types of raspas stands. most sell raspas,but what they sell the most is junk food,my fav. is shaved white corn steamed in a cup with mayo,cheese,chili,butter, n lime. sounds like a heartattack in a cup but its good. the raspas have all nat. fruit and some are made with cream which makes the ice alot smoother. but tey all tast good when its about 100*/76%humidity out

I'm in the Dallas area and like Chris said they are on every corner. We also have some ice cream shops around where I live. They seem to always have customers even in the winter. The Snow cone stands close up and get towed away during the winter. Some are permanent but most are trailers.