Sign in to follow this  
Rob R.

Suggestions wanted on this mammoth Tree House

Question

I am looking for suggestions on keeping this beautiful tree house completely mold free. It belongs to a personal friend of mine, within just a few weeks it accumalated a lot of mold inside.

I went ahead and power washed it for him and got rid of all the mold, recommend I or he stained it (wife is against staining/sealing for various reasons) and directed him towards ready seal.. However his first problem is keeping the water from getting in anymore, it already has a full rubber roof (not pictured) and thinking about wrapping the tree inside of the tree house. Even had an arborist come take a look and he had really no idea lol.. Well a few weeks passed again and mold is already coming back quickly. Once the tree house is sealed better would staining be enough to keep it mold free, obviously its in the woods with hardly any sun exposure. Thanks!

Also I will try and get latest pictures of the tree house with rubber roof, anderson doors and windows installed, stairs, etc..

treehouset.jpg

treehouse2.jpg

10 answers to this question

Guys, if I read correctly, his problem is that he is getting mold on the INSIDE.

Rob, you've got construction problems. No sealer, etc. can overcome that. Simply, eliminate the water/moisture, eliminate the fungi. Since it is built around the tree, it is going to be difficult to get a water seal at the tree perimeter.

Guys, if I read correctly, his problem is that he is getting mold on the INSIDE.

Rob, you've got construction problems. No sealer, etc. can overcome that. Simply, eliminate the water/moisture, eliminate the fungi. Since it is built around the tree, it is going to be difficult to get a water seal at the tree perimeter.

Theres mold on both inside and out, my friend is currently addressing the water problem inside the tree house as best he can. Once that is done, I will clean it again and then look at different stain/seal options.

I don't expect anything magical just looking for the best options under the circumstances. Again thanks alot for all the suggestions!